Clothes for the wards? (women)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RedPeony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising MS2 and was looking to get some advice on clothes for my clinical years. Besides the obvious (no jeans, mini-skirts, and open-toed shoes), what are some good guidelines for women? I usually dress pretty informally but I want to look professional. In particular:

1) Are (nice) sleeveless shirts okay (w/ or w/o a cardigan)?

2) Should long hair be worn up?

3) Earrings that dangle a bit--okay or just stick to studs?

4) I like to wear makeup. Are deeper lip colors (reds, wines) okay, or should I stick to basic neutrals?

Thanks so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would consider not wearing the long hair/ dangly earrings in peds :). Long hair should be up in any procedure-heavy type of rotation such as surgery, ob gyn, ED, critical care because it's easier to tuck into the cap. Sleeveless shirts under your white coat are fine. No one's going to know if you never take off your white coat. I think an earth-toned kind of red lipstick would be fine but maybe not a bright vamp red or magenta, if you know what I mean. I tend to just wear lip gloss if I wear any makeup at all.

The biggest thing is dress comfortably for what you're doing. And if you're wearing dresses and skirts, bear in mind that some attendings will get mad if they're even a bit short or ride up or something. It's hard to quantify what's too short because you will see some residents and even attendings wear stuff that you might get yelled at for wearing. When in doubt, be boring. Sexism is still very real in the medical world.

In general, I have found that a wider variety of clothing has been acceptable than I initially expected going in to third year. Having said that, it is a good idea to show up to the first day of each rotation looking very professional and conservative because you won't know what your attending's pet peeves are yet.

Every hospital will have a different policy as well. Most of the times small dangly earrings will be fine, but one hospital I rotated at was studs only. Another hospital required pantyhose if you wore a skirt so I wore pants for that entire rotation. Then again, on my peds rotation I was made fun of for not wearing a halloween themed outfit on halloween and my attending provided black and orange nail polish.

Members don't see this ad :)
When in doubt, be boring. Sexism is still very real in the medical world.

Sexism when it comes to the dress code? Haha. If you want to play that card then women should have the same dress code as men. Collared shirt, slacks, socks, formal shoes.

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback thus far! In general, what's ok for skirt/dress length? Is just above the knee fine? Also, about how long are you standing for rounding? I'm expecting to wear flats pretty often 'cause my back starts to hurt when I stand in heels for too long. Thanks!

Wow, thanks for all of the feedback thus far! In general, what's ok for skirt/dress length? Is just above the knee fine? Also, about how long are you standing for rounding? I'm expecting to wear flats pretty often 'cause my back starts to hurt when I stand in heels for too long. Thanks!

I've never had a problem wearing skirts/dresses that are about knee length. Rounding can last anywhere from 15 mins-3+hours. I have a couple pairs of heels (Clarks-very comfortable) that I can tolerate being on my feet all day in but I prefer flats. Some rotations you're never off your feet so comfortable shoes are a must.

As long as you are dressed conservatively (ie nothing showing that shouldn't show), you will be fine. Sleveless shirts are usually okay, as long as they are not revealing (keep in mind you will be wearing the white coat so nobody will know it is sleveless anyway). Hair can be either up or down, whatever you prefer. Although during procedures, etc, I put my hair up. Short dangly earrings are just fine. As far as makeup goes, I have not really seen anyone wearing darker or bright colored lipstick. I think sticking with neutral colors at least until you get a feel of the culture of the hospital is best. Re: skirts, knee length is fine, just make sure that when you sit down, you are not revealing too much of your legs.

Sexism when it comes to the dress code? Haha. If you want to play that card then women should have the same dress code as men. Collared shirt, slacks, socks, formal shoes.

I actually tell the women who are my students that I prefer dress slacks and shirts for women; it does eliminate gender differences. That being said, essentially anything a woman wears is acceptable on the wards. I just use the stipulation that no skin below the sternal notch and skirts/dresses come to about the knee. You're a doctor, not a hooch, not going out on saturday night, and certainly not there to stimulate anybody (except with a DRE).

Most outfits still look good, feel like you're staying classy, and are professional, even if that "sternal notch" is a bit strict. Its not a make it or break it, and women still have worn some borderline outfits; but if the whole picture is professional, then meh, so what. As long as the expectation that "OOH TITTIES!" is not acceptable is there, it usually works out.

I have sent girls (please note the change of age-gender) home for wearing
1. A miniskirt that was at mid thigh when standing up... two separate times
2. A V-neck that showed more skin than it hid

Women can get away with alot. As a general recommendation... skirts and dresses should be longer than your white coat (easy for students, harder for residents) and your cleavage should be put away. Other than that, whatever you want is acceptable.

I've noticed some female med students just aren't sure what to wear...and they equate "going out" attire with "professional" attire. But when cleavage and too much leg is showing, you can be sure everyone on your team is talking about it.

I WISH I could get away with wearing men's clothing (sooo much more comfortable). But loose khaki pants and topsiders would look a lot more casual and less professional on women than they do on all the guys I rotate with. It would also be awesome to be able to wear shoes that look okay with socks, since my feet are always freeeezing in the hospital.

But I digress... It doesn't have to be too tricky to build a work wardrobe. If you have a 2-3 pencil skirts (grey, khaki, black), 1-2 dress pants, a week's worth of blouses, and maybe a dress or two to throw in occassionally to shake things up, you'll be more than fine! Banana Republic is a great place to start.

Also a note about shoes: completely flat flats can be less comfortable than a shoe with a small heel. Look for something with at least a little support.

Reactions: 1 user
Something I've picked up is that if your favorite skirt is slightly shorter than the ideal classic pencil, you can sometimes make up for the decreased length with colored pantyhose (gray, brown, maroon, etc). Flats also make a shorter skirt look more conservative.

Yeah, uh, kind of.

Medical schools should just send every incoming student these shoes in advance because almost every woman in my medical school class owns them (including me).

13382820.jpg