Clueless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chgpwd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm sorry, but can someone please explain what is meant by PGY1, PGY2, transitional, and preliminary?

Is the PGY1 transitional residency for people who can't decide on a specialty?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Heres the run down:

PGY-1: Post graduate year one. Most specialty residencies start in this year and you advance up through PGY-? (e.g. PGY-3 for IM, PGY-5 for surgery, etc).

PGY-2: Post grad year 2. Second year of residency. For most people, this will be at the same program as PGY-1. However, some specialties, such as Radiology, Anesthesia, some Derm, some ER, some optho, some ENT, you match into a PGY-2 position and have to apply separately for you PGY-1 year. This is where prelims and transitionals come from.

Prelim Medicine: Only PGY-1. Usually for people going on to non surgical specialties in PGY-2. You apply and interview separately to these programs which include mostly medicine rotations with a few electives.

Pelim Surgery: Same as above, but generally filled by people going on to a surgery subspecialty.

Transitional: Also only PGY-1. Also apply separately. Only difference is that they have, in general, a more varied schedule and more electives. You do med months, peds months, surgery months, ER, etc.

There are some people who are either undecided or do not match into a PGY-2 position who do these prelims. I think this is a bad idea because you are usually so busy during this year that applying to other programs can be difficult. Not to mention that for competitive specialties the odds of getting in are lower.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Whisker Barrel Cortex,

Thanks! Are you in school at the U of Chicago? What year are you? I'm trying to decide between the U of Chicago and Penn.

I was looking at Chicago's MSTP match list for 2001 (I'm MSTP), and I noticed that most graduates went either right into Peds or into Ophthamology after a PGY1 transitional. Should I be concerned?

Also, I know that Chicago's curriculum is much more traditional than Penn's. I think that I would prefer Chicago's more lecture-based system, but Penn students and prospective students seem to love their curriculum (and three afternoon free/week). Do you think that their is really much of a difference?

As I said, I'm MSTP, and so location is important to me. I went to Penn as an undergrad. How is Hyde Park, and how do you think it compares to Philadelphia? Is buying an apartment or home a viable option for someone making 20 K /year? I don't think that it is much of an option in Philly.

I'm sorry for the barrage of questions, but I need to make a decision soon. By the way, do you work with Cliff Ragsdale or Elizabeth Grove? They've done some novel stuff recently.

Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but I believe he attends the Medical College of Wisconsin for another 2 months, so he may not be able to answer your specific questions about Pritzker.

Hi, I go to Pritzker and can answer your questions about the U of C. In general, I really
the traditional curriculum. Because it's pass/fail, you don't have to attend everything. Very laid back. I skipped a ton of class, passed everything, and aced the boards. The Hyde Park neighborhood is boring, but you can live anywhere you want in Chicago, which is, of course, a much better and bigger city than Philly, hands down. Awesome place to live. If you have more questions, I'll try to answer them more thoroughly...it's late...

sorry a word got left out... i _like_ the traditional curriculum.

also, your question about the MSTP match list...it really does not matter, because you choose what specialty you want to go to. from the U of C you can go into whatever specialty you want. there is absolutely no concern just because the ones you saw went into Peds and Ophtho - it was what they wanted. or, did i misinterpret your question?

Ratty,

Thanks for your response. I had almost given up on the thread. Well, I was really wondering why so many MSTPs opted to do a PGY1 transitional residency. i.e. why didn't they just go straight into PGY1 Opthamology or Radiology? I'm not very familiar with the process. But it doesn't really matter to me any more because I've FINALLY decided to go to Penn. I think that its the smarter choice.

Thanks!

chgpwd,

Although I can't answer questions about U of C, I can tell you about those transitionals. For the vast majority of radiology, ophto, anesthesia, and for some of ENT, PM&R, Derm, ER residencies you have to apply for and do a separate transitional year residency. Those students did not choose to do so, they were required to.