CMGs offering interviews at sites without open positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tnstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard of this happening? I’m looking at spots for a first job in a major metro area, and there are only openings at the satellite sites surrounding the city (45 minutes away minimum). However, I was offered to interview at the sites actually in the city despite there being no available positions.

Members don't see this ad.

It happens all the time, many practices will over-hire because they anticipate turnover- people move to other sites or groups, spouses relocate, older docs retire or cut back on hours. There might be no open spots now but 3 or 4 may open up in the next 9 months. Since the interview process, licensing, credentialing and on boarding will take a few months it just makes sense to hire some extra people during the peak interview season. You might end up overstaffed in July but most of the time it works out.

Bait and switch.. Then they try to convince you to work the crappy job until the "great" job opens up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty common. They will hire you at the "main site" but will farm you out to regional places to cover less than desirable locations. USACS does this around me. They will hire you in *insert my major regional area* and will then schedule you at sites up-to 2 hours away.

Reactions: 1 user
and it's not just the major CMGs, but the smaller local ones that do it too. Kelly Larkin, who's group staffs St. Luke's hospitals in Houston, tries to funnel their new hires into working at the freestanding ED for less money, while promising them 'you don't have to work at the freestanding ED if you don't have to'....I had a really bad vibe when I first interviewed with her group.

Ehhhhhh..... taking advantage of the young and ignorance. I can see pencil pushers doing this but I never understood how boarded EM docs could do this to their own....

Oh... I actually know....$$$$$

Joe, you can work in San Francisco and would love to have you. We don't have an open spot left but if you work in the Ghetto (where no one wants to work or difficult to staff), you will be in line when a spot opens up in SF. Good luck with that. Sometimes it works out, sometimes you are stuck in the Ghetto for years making alot less money.

Make you decision as you like but be informed. Its not always so clear cut and rosey

It's not just CMG's that do it. I once asked a university about taking a faculty job, touting my desire for research and teaching. The reply I got was, "Sure, we would like to interview you for our freestanding that's located 30 miles away." No residents rotate there and there are no active research projects underway.

It's not just CMG's that do it. I once asked a university about taking a faculty job, touting my desire for research and teaching. The reply I got was, "Sure, we would like to interview you for our freestanding that's located 30 miles away." No residents rotate there and there are no active research projects underway.

Predatory SDG in my town does this too. "Work way the hell away at our FS or UC, and if you work hard enough... "