PhD/PsyD CMHC Master's vs Clinical Psych Master's - Readiness for Doctoral Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Which program will better prepare me for doctoral program?

  • Professional Counseling M.Ed. - CMHC concentration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clinical Psychology M.A. - Neuropsychology specialization

    Votes: 1 100.0%

  • Total voters
    1

map6s

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all!

I am a first semester graduate student currently enrolled in a 60-hour Professional Counseling M.Ed. program under their Clinical Mental Health Concentration. The university I am at also offers a 46-hour Clinical Psychology M.A. program that I am considering transferring to. As an undergraduate, I majored in Psychology and minored in Neuroscience and Animal Science. The C.P. program has a Neuropsychology specialization I am interested in.

My question is, in your professional opinion, do you think the program I am currently in or the latter program would better prepare me for a Counseling Psychology doctoral program and which would make me a more competitive applicant? The P.C. program does not have us conduct a thesis. We do a semester of pre-practicum, practicum, and two semester long internship at end of program. The C.P. program does require students do a thesis and there is more research experience and opportunities.

Thank you in advance!
 
^^^^

I would check on outcomes of the programs and which make it their primary mission to place trainees in doctoral programs. If a program doesn't do that, you are unlikely to receive the same level of opportunities/training to make you maximally successful in your ultimate goals. The thread below contains some names of programs which have historically trained MA/MS folks with the goal of PhD programs. I'm sure there are others (Ball State, for instance), but this would be a good place to start.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pepperdine-ma-online