PhD/PsyD CMHC Master's vs Clinical Psych Master's - Readiness for Doctoral Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which program will better prepare me for doctoral program?

• Professional Counseling M.Ed. - CMHC concentration

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clinical Psychology M.A. - Neuropsychology specialization

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

map6s

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am a first semester graduate student currently enrolled in a 60-hour Professional Counseling M.Ed. program under their Clinical Mental Health Concentration. The university I am at also offers a 46-hour Clinical Psychology M.A. program that I am considering transferring to. As an undergraduate, I majored in Psychology and minored in Neuroscience and Animal Science. The C.P. program has a Neuropsychology specialization I am interested in.

My question is, in your professional opinion, do you think the program I am currently in or the latter program would better prepare me for a Counseling Psychology doctoral program and which would make me a more competitive applicant? The P.C. program does not have us conduct a thesis. We do a semester of pre-practicum, practicum, and two semester long internship at end of program. The C.P. program does require students do a thesis and there is more research experience and opportunities.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Research experience is really the main thing that will get you into a good doctoral program, so whichever path let's you get the most research experience.

Reactions: 1 users
^^^^

I would check on outcomes of the programs and which make it their primary mission to place trainees in doctoral programs. If a program doesn't do that, you are unlikely to receive the same level of opportunities/training to make you maximally successful in your ultimate goals. The thread below contains some names of programs which have historically trained MA/MS folks with the goal of PhD programs. I'm sure there are others (Ball State, for instance), but this would be a good place to start.
https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pepperdine-ma-online

Reactions: 1 user