CMS states TPI should only have local. No steroid.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
New CMS rule Sept 2026, only two covered codes 20552 and 20553. No steroid or any other inject are to be utilized, local only.

Also specific limits on frequency to 3 in 12 month period unless you’re essentially putting a disclaimer in the chart. Big change from “treatment” and “maintenance” wording.
 
Last edited:

Utilization Parameters

Per the LCD, no more than 3 TPI sessions are expected within a rolling 12‑month period. However, in select circumstances, there may be a therapeutic benefit to an additional session. Consistent with the LCD, reporting 4 TPI sessions in a rolling 12-month period will require attestation; however, 5 or more sessions will be denied.

Documentation Requirements

  1. All documentation must be maintained in the patient's medical record and made available to the contractor upon request.
  2. Every page of the record must be legible and include appropriate patient identification information (e.g., complete name, dates of service). The documentation must include the legible signature of the physician or non-physician practitioner responsible for and providing the care to the patient.
  3. The submitted medical record must support the use of the selected ICD-10-CM code(s). The submitted CPT/HCPCS code must describe the service performed.
  4. For the treatment of established trigger points, the patient’s medical record must have:
    1. The evaluation/process of arriving at the diagnosis of the trigger point in an individual muscle or muscle group must be clearly documented in the patient’s medical record.
    2. The reason for the trigger point injection, and whether it is being used as an initial or subsequent treatment for myofascial pain, as well as the appropriate diagnosis code, must be clearly documented in the patient's medical records.
  5. Attestation for extended services (e.g., above 3 TPI sessions per rolling 12 months) must be supported by documentation that validates the therapeutic benefit of additional TPIs beyond what is typically expected, including:
    1. Clinical indications for continued treatment,
    2. Documentation of adherence to multi-modal therapy,
    3. Evidence of prior response and ongoing medical necessity,
    4. Compliance with frequency and duration limits,
    5. All required elements specified in the LCD.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The micromanaging is ridiculous . I have not done a tpi in a decade but if u graduated med school im ok with them adding whatever. Sarapin was still I thing when I stopped tpi
 
New CMS rule Sept 2026, only two covered codes 20552 and 20553. No steroid or any other inject are to be utilized, local only.

Also specific limits on frequency to 3 in 12 month period unless you’re essentially putting a disclaimer in the chart. Big change from “treatment” and “maintenance” wording.

Most of the time, the people getting TPI's for myofascial pain actually have PMR or other "rheumatism" and feel great with a little steroid in their TPI. I'll have to start charging them cash for that.
 
They feel great for 24 hours and then ask for it every week..that’s the problem. It’s sham and def shouldn’t have steroid in it
 
New CMS rule Sept 2026, only two covered codes 20552 and 20553. No steroid or any other inject are to be utilized, local only.

Also specific limits on frequency to 3 in 12 month period unless you’re essentially putting a disclaimer in the chart. Big change from “treatment” and “maintenance” wording.
This has been the case for over a year
 
I rarely, if ever, will do a TPI and bill for it. Usually just a freebee added to another procedure. IF I do TPI, local only or maybe add toradol. Basically a fancy IM injection at that point.
 
The sham docs are the ones doing tpi with steroid and med management..”keeps em coming back for more”
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As a utilizer of 5% dextrose, how do you feel about this on concert with anesthetic? E.g., 1 mL 50% dextrose mixed with 9 mL 1% lidocaine.

What fascial planes are you typically going after? Between trap and rhomboid minor where the SAN lives? Rhomboid and serratus posterior?

Thanks!
 
As a utilizer of 5% dextrose, how do you feel about this on concert with anesthetic? E.g., 1 mL 50% dextrose mixed with 9 mL 1% lidocaine.

What fascial planes are you typically going after? Between trap and rhomboid minor where the SAN lives? Rhomboid and serratus posterior?

Thanks!

I do straight up dilute 0.125% bupi in patients with "catching" points in their traps, or elsewhere. Also for specific nerve hydrodissections. When the issue is closer to a chronic muscle strain/tear I'll lean toward prolo with 50% dextrose 15 mL mixed with 0.5% bupi 5 mL, like a poor man's PRP but with local.

As to what fascia plans... that's a long answer. Most common would be the superficial trap fascia, the thoracic erector/trap/lat fascia, and the lumbar erector/lat fascia. Pain relief is usually achieved with the more superficial rather than deep layers.
 
I will use steroid in tpi and may follow it with medrol dose pak to cool a patient down if they are coming in with a lot of pain before setting up potential interventional spine procedure esi/si/facet. Insurance auths significantly delay setting up the more appropriate procedures and i would prefer to have the patients feel better sooner rather than waiting for me to argue with a pediatrician in the peer review about the appropriate nature of an esi. On a side note. It seems like medicare wants to phase out tpi
 
I will use steroid in tpi and may follow it with medrol dose pak to cool a patient down if they are coming in with a lot of pain before setting up potential interventional spine procedure esi/si/facet. Insurance auths significantly delay setting up the more appropriate procedures and i would prefer to have the patients feel better sooner rather than waiting for me to argue with a pediatrician in the peer review about the appropriate nature of an esi. On a side note. It seems like medicare wants to phase out tpi
How much steroid are your patients exposed to in a month??
 
4mg dex and medrol dose pak until esi is scheduled which may have delays up to 2-3weeks
This is in the setting of a patient in severe pain not likely to get scheduled quickly. -oh wait, was that meant as a dig? Curious as to what your management would be advil and PT? LOL
 
New CMS rule Sept 2026, only two covered codes 20552 and 20553. No steroid or any other inject are to be utilized, local only.

Also specific limits on frequency to 3 in 12 month period unless you’re essentially putting a disclaimer in the chart. Big change from “treatment” and “maintenance” wording.
The official rules say they won’t pay for the J code of a steroid not that they won’t pay the CPT codes 20553 or 20552 if you do it with a steroid.

Won’t affect me as I use toradol + lido, lido only if toradol contraindicated, or do cash TPI with PRP.

I find TPI with toradol often helpful during the 1 month f/u after cervical RFA.

I hate the cms micromanaging the number of TPI that can be done each year but I agree with them not paying for steroid in TPI. No one should be using steroid in TPI.
 
Last edited:
The official rules say they won’t pay for the J code of a steroid not that they won’t pay the CPT codes 20553 or 20552 if you do it with a steroid.

Won’t affect me as I use toradol + lido, lido only if toradol contraindicated, or do cash TPI with PRP.

I find TPI with toradol often helpful during the 1 month f/u after cervical RFA.

I hate the cms micromanaging the number of TPI that can be done each year but I agree with them not paying for steroid in TPI. No one should be using steroid in TPI.
How much Toradol are you injecting per site? Might start doing this as well. Any risk injecting it around the neck with increased vasculature?
 
The official rules say they won’t pay for the J code of a steroid not that they won’t pay the CPT codes 20553 or 20552 if you do it with a steroid.

Won’t affect me as I use toradol + lido, lido only if toradol contraindicated, or do cash TPI with PRP.

I find TPI with toradol often helpful during the 1 month f/u after cervical RFA.

I hate the cms micromanaging the number of TPI that can be done each year but I agree with them not paying for steroid in TPI. No one should be using steroid in TPI.
PRP in a tpi?? How long do these last?
 
The official rules say they won’t pay for the J code of a steroid not that they won’t pay the CPT codes 20553 or 20552 if you do it with a steroid.

Won’t affect me as I use toradol + lido, lido only if toradol contraindicated, or do cash TPI with PRP.

I find TPI with toradol often helpful during the 1 month f/u after cervical RFA.

I hate the cms micromanaging the number of TPI that can be done each year but I agree with them not paying for steroid in TPI. No one should be using steroid in TPI.
Just saw a post RF patient today and did some paraspinal lumbar TPIs with Lido and Toradol. We’ll see how it does.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I‘ve had several patients achieve a full year of 80% relief after PRP TPI. It doesn’t work for everyone, and I don’t offer this frequently, but I’ve seen some home runs.
Magical thinking. RF and kypho can be due to our procedures. Everything else is 8-12 weeks or less. And if they are better then it is for other reasons.
 
New CMS rule Sept 2026, only two covered codes 20552 and 20553. No steroid or any other inject are to be utilized, local only.

Also specific limits on frequency to 3 in 12 month period unless you’re essentially putting a disclaimer in the chart. Big change from “treatment” and “maintenance” wording.
Remember, this new policy was published only by FCSO and Novitas, so it only applies to states in those jurisdictions.