CNA in personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itbelikethatsometimes

Reaction score
So, I am revising my personal statement and am a little conflicted. I have what I think is a compelling narrative that includes volunteering and research experience, along with a non-extracurricular in my introduction.

My pre-med committee thinks I should write about my work as a CNA and not discuss research. They say that I will have space in other parts of my application to talk about research.

Every professional advising service I know has said not to repeat activities from your three most meaningful in your personal statement. CNA has to be one of my most meaningful, so I don't want to be redundant. Really, since I won't be including research as a most meaningful activity, I'll only have a few sentences to talk about it outside of my PS.

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

FWIW, I wrote about being a CNA in my personal statement and also wrote about it as a most meaningful activity. For me being a CNA was an important part of my why medicine narrative so it seemed prudent to include it in my PS. I just focused on different aspects in the two parts of my app.

Reactions: 1 users
Every professional advising service I know has said not to repeat activities from your three most meaningful in your personal statement. CNA has to be one of my most meaningful, so I don't want to be redundant. Really, since I won't be including research as a most meaningful activity, I'll only have a few sentences to talk about it outside of my PS.

Any thoughts?
Also FWIW, I wrote about 2 of my most meaningful experiences in my PS. But the actual content regarding the description of these experiences was different between my EC section and my PS. I used the PS for specific anecdotes and the EC section for specifically what I did and lessons I learned that are applicable to medicine.

Also FWIW, I wrote about 2 of my most meaningful experiences in my PS. But the actual content regarding the description of these experiences was different between my EC section and my PS. I used the PS for specific anecdotes and the EC section for specifically what I did and lessons I learned that are applicable to medicine.

+1.