CNA work/other questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently work as a CNA in a nationally famous (so I'm told) home for patients with Alzheimers; I work in the section for people with very advanced Alzheimers. I'm an alternative student with about 18 months left until I apply; I calculate by that time I'll have about 1500-2000 hours (depending on my shifts) of experience. Three related questions:

1) I have been told by a doctor that, since working in an Alzheimers center is very different from working in a normal nursing home (everyone is incontinent, people are either catatonic or physically violent, higher mortality rate), my experience will look very good on a CV. The job is good because the scheduler is flexible, allowing me to work around my classes; however, I think a hospital CNA job might look even better (and allow me to learn more/be less exhausted). Should I ignore the advice and look for a hospital job (CNA or something more advanced)?

2) I assume spending time shadowing and doing research would be more beneficial than picking up even more hours as a CNA; however, I like getting paid :) once I already have 1500+ hours of CNA experience, is the benefit of 200+ hours of shadowing and research greater than 400+ additional hours of CNA work? I do not need the money, but it is nice to have.

3) To what extent do diminishing returns apply to things for med school applications? If I decide to focus on my schoolwork, would 1100 (if I drop a shift) hours look much worse than 1500, or only a little worse? Is, say, a 0.1 or 0.2 increase in my GPA worth it?

Unrelated question: is there any advantage/disadvantage to being an alternative student? I have a BA in Classical Languages from an elite school, but am basically starting from scratch; by the time I apply I'll have about 360 hours of credit in total. will having this "worldly experience" (or whatever) give me any type of edge at all?

Unrelated question #2: At the school I'm currently studying at, I can earn a BA in Nursing in one year. If I don't get in to schools on my first run, would earning this degree (and getting the associated 450+ clinical hours/GPA boost) be more beneficial than getting more CNA/research experience?

Sorry for all the subjective questions; thanks in advance for any advice.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I currently work as a CNA in a nationally famous (so I'm told) home for patients with Alzheimers; I work in the section for people with very advanced Alzheimers. I'm an alternative student with about 18 months left until I apply; I calculate by that time I'll have about 1500-2000 hours (depending on my shifts) of experience. Three related questions:

1) I have been told by a doctor that, since working in an Alzheimers center is very different from working in a normal nursing home (everyone is incontinent, people are either catatonic or physically violent, higher mortality rate), my experience will look very good on a CV. The job is good because the scheduler is flexible, allowing me to work around my classes; however, I think a hospital CNA job might look even better (and allow me to learn more/be less exhausted). Should I ignore the advice and look for a hospital job (CNA or something more advanced)?

2) I assume spending time shadowing and doing research would be more beneficial than picking up even more hours as a CNA; however, I like getting paid :) once I already have 1500+ hours of CNA experience, is the benefit of 200+ hours of shadowing and research greater than 400+ additional hours of CNA work? I do not need the money, but it is nice to have.

3) To what extent do diminishing returns apply to things for med school applications? If I decide to focus on my schoolwork, would 1100 (if I drop a shift) hours look much worse than 1500, or only a little worse? Is, say, a 0.1 or 0.2 increase in my GPA worth it?

4) Unrelated question: is there any advantage/disadvantage to being an alternative student? I have a BA in Classical Languages from an elite school, but am basically starting from scratch; by the time I apply I'll have about 360 hours of credit in total. will having this "worldly experience" (or whatever) give me any type of edge at all?

5) Unrelated question #2: At the school I'm currently studying at, I can earn a BA in Nursing in one year. If I don't get in to schools on my first run, would earning this degree (and getting the associated 450+ clinical hours/GPA boost) be more beneficial than getting more CNA/research experience?
1) The average med school applicant has about 150 hours listed on their application for clinical experience. I think you are more than fine with what yuou have for that activity. IMO staying with the current job is fine.

2) Research isn't required, though it does strengthen an application. Shadowing, however, is expected my most schools. About 50 hours is sufficient (the average) which I'd suggest splitting among 2-3 types of doc.

3) GPA is more important.

4) There is no advantage to a second degree. Your most recent coursework GPA is the more important. Greater maturity and world experience, is however, a bonus.

5) We've seen more than one applicant lose the GPA battle with Nursing Theory coursework. I wouldn't take the risk by assuming it's an "easy A" to complete the nursing degree.