WAMC - what to work on next?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idkjustchooseone

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  1. 1000+ hours manufacturing, which is mainly what my application/personal statement will be about
The personal statement is about why medicine. It is not the place to talk about things like manufacturing.

You can try applying to these MD:
Rosalind Franklin
SIU (only if from central or southern IL)
Drexel
Wayne State
Oakland
Nova MD

Chances best at DO. I suggest:

KCU
DMU
PCOM
KCOM (Kirksville)
Marian
NYIT
Touro NY
Campbell
LECOM
Touro NV
CCOM (high tuition fyi)
ACOM

Reactions: 1 users
I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Creighton
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open in 2024 (there may be several)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
LECOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
WVSOM
ACOM

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The personal statement is about why medicine. It is not the place to talk about things like manufacturing.
Oh yes of course! I just mean my manufacturing experience is something that really pushed me to go into medicine and it is one of the main reasons I'm applying to medical school.

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Southern Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
TCU
Creighton
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
CUSOM
LECOM
PCOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
WVSOM
ACOM

Thank you! I'll take a look at each of these schools and see if they're all programs that I'd be happy attending.

Just wondering, when you make schools lists for others, do these lists include reach, target, and safety (if that even exists) schools?

Also, sorry to reply multiple times, where can I find any new MD schools that are opening in the next year? Also, I've heard it's recommended to not go into a new DO school until it graduates at least one class, is that the same case for MD? Thanks!

Thank you! I'll take a look at each of these schools and see if they're all programs that I'd be happy attending.

Just wondering, when you make schools lists for others, do these lists include reach, target, and safety (if that even exists) schools?
Mainly "target" and "safety" schools.

Also, sorry to reply multiple times, where can I find any new MD schools that are opening in the next year? Also, I've heard it's recommended to not go into a new DO school until it graduates at least one class, is that the same case for MD? Thanks!
The LCME website lists the applicant schools. There are currently 5: Roseman, American University, Belmont, Methodist and Alice Walton. With a 506 MCAT , if you want to go to a MD school you go wherever you are accepted.

• Hmm
The LCME website lists the applicant schools. There are currently 5: Roseman, American University, Belmont, Methodist and Alice Walton. With a 506 MCAT , if you want to go to a MD school you go wherever you are accepted.
I'll check all of them out.

I don't think I have a heavy preference for MD schools, I am not into any competitive specialties but I'm sure that could change when I get into medical school. Just so I have a better idea, is going to a developed DO school a better idea than a new MD school?

Sorry to bring this post up again. I'm just wondering what do you all think I should add in the next year before I apply in May? What is my application lacking in your eyes?

Sorry to bring this post up again. I'm just wondering what do you all think I should add in the next year before I apply in May? What is my application lacking in your eyes?
Same advice as what you had received a year ago:

Members don't see this ad :)
Volunteering
ESL Tutor 100+ hours
Food shelter 150+ hours by May

I was told to work on my nonclinical volunteering, which I will have done by the time of application. Is there anything else that stands out that I am lacking?
You really should get the food shelter hours to at least 200.

You can subtract scribe hours and put that under shadowing an ER doc to ensure you have about 50-60 shadowing hours. Hopefully you shadowed primary care as well.

You really should get the food shelter hours to at least 200.

You can subtract scribe hours and put that under shadowing an ER doc to ensure you have about 50-60 shadowing hours. Hopefully you shadowed primary care as well.
If I get it to 200, then I will have around 350-400 volunteering hours across two activities. Is that ok if those are my only two volunteer activities? Should I look for more?

Also, I have ophthalmology and cardiology shadowing experience. Should I look for a family doctor to shadow?

If I get it to 200, then I will have around 350-400 volunteering hours across two activities. Is that ok if those are my only two volunteer activities? Should I look for more?

Also, I have ophthalmology and cardiology shadowing experience. Should I look for a family doctor to shadow?
Yes, especially if you want to try for an IS MD like Loyola or Rosalind Franklin. And yes to shadowing family medicine, would be good if they are a DO too.

I think my MCAT is good enough for DO schools, and I can shoot my shot at MD. I just think with the time I have left I can make my application better in other ways than the MCAT!
My MCAT is a 507 with only a 3.4 gpa and I’ve had 11 DO interviews and 2 MD interviews this cycle. I had a TON of underserved non-clinical volunteering which I think helped me a lot.

You got this!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
My MCAT is a 507 with only a 3.4 gpa and I’ve had 11 DO interviews and 2 MD interviews this cycle. I had a TON of underserved non-clinical volunteering which I think helped me a lot.

You got this!
Thank you:) I appreciate the encouragement! I am definitely gonna look for one more nonclinical volunteering experience and beef up my hours before May.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Care
I know I keep bringing this post back, I think it's a little more efficient than creating a whole new post.

I've created my own school list, I'd love to get some input and see what you all think! Add or remove any schools you feel necessary and let me know if it's overall good. I have a heavy preference to live in a urban/suburban area.

MD
University of Illinois - Chicago
Rosalind Franklin
Michigan State University
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
NOVA MD
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Penn State
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Wayne State
Wright State
Northeast Ohio
Toledo

DO
CCOM - Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine (Part of Midwestern University)
MU-COM - Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
KCU-COM - Kansas City University College of Osteopathic Medicine
DMU-COM - Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine
AZCOM - Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern
LECOM - Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
PCOM - Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
NYITCOM - New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
UIWSOM - University of the Incarnate World
ATSU-SOMA - A.T. Still University School of Osteopathic Medicine in Arizona
Rowan - Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
MSUCOM - Michigan State Detroit
RVUCOM-CO - Rocky Vista University College of Medicine in Colorado