Cnn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Frank l

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody else read this on cnn?
the writer obviously doesn't know what an osteopathic physician is.
i wonder if Goldman and Klatz were just trying to avoid confusion over their degree, or if they were really trying to pass themselves off as MD's.
it just goes to show that catering to people's ignorance isn't going to get you anywhere. People aren't going to know what a DO is if everybody leaves the initials off. it might be easier to not have to explain it all the time, but if people weren't trying to hide it it wouldn't need as much explaination.

"The American Medical Association does not consider anti-aging an official specialty. Unlike Casas, who is board-certified in internal medicine and was an assistant professor at Dartmouth Medical School, many anti-aging practitioners are not certified in traditional fields. Robert Goldman and Ronald Klatz, the co-founders of A4M, are osteopathic physicians who were once ordered by the state of Illinois to stop identifying themselves as MDs."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/06/chasing.antiaging.med/index.html

Members don't see this ad.

the detractors say:

"There is no such thing as anti-aging medicine," huffs Jay Olshansky, a sociologist at the University of Illinois who studies medicine and longevity. "As long as humans have existed, we have always desired to live longer. Every society, every religion, every culture. Of course, they all failed at dramatic life extension." Olshansky was slapped with a $120 million dollar defamation lawsuit by A4M after he accused the organization of promoting quackery. He countersued and both sides eventually agreed to drop their cases."

Of course people won't live forever, but they will hopefully have a longer life with better quality. If people want to pay for what may amount to a couple more years on earth, or possibly just better years, that's up to them.

anybody else read this on cnn?
the writer obviously doesn't know what an osteopathic physician is.
i wonder if Goldman and Klatz were just trying to avoid confusion over their degree, or if they were really trying to pass themselves off as MD's.
it just goes to show that catering to people's ignorance isn't going to get you anywhere.
People aren't going to know what a DO is if everybody leaves the initials off. it might be easier to not have to explain it all the time, but if people weren't trying to hide it it wouldn't need as much explaination.

"The American Medical Association does not consider anti-aging an official specialty. Unlike Casas, who is board-certified in internal medicine and was an assistant professor at Dartmouth Medical School, many anti-aging practitioners are not certified in traditional fields. Robert Goldman and Ronald Klatz, the co-founders of A4M, are osteopathic physicians who were once ordered by the state of Illinois to stop identifying themselves as MDs."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/04/06/chasing.antiaging.med/index.html

I think you're being too gracious to these clowns:
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/klatz.html

With all the hard work and effort it takes to earn a DO, buying a MD degree from an off-shore diploma mill INSULTS both professions.

When people are called on chicanery like this, it really places legitimate scrutiny on their other (perhaps, honest) endeavors.

Members don't see this ad :)
huh. i was being too gracious.
i wonder when he got his DO. i'm guessing he got it first.

huh. i was being too gracious.
i wonder when he got his DO. i'm guessing he got it first.

I doubt any DO school would accept you after you have received an unaccredited foreign medical degree from somewhere else (An american citizen that is). So I think he probably got the DO first. This story is from 2000, so it's pretty old, its been discussed here on SDN numerous times.

Nope, both of these guys got their MDs first. Their CVs are quite interesting, one is like a nationally known body builder and both have patents out the wahzoo...

As far as anti-aging medicine goes, it is mostly alternative stuff (chelation, natural hormones, antioxidant tx, iv vitamins, hyperbaric O2) with a mix of low risk cosmetic procedures (botox, vein sclerotherapy, fillers, lasers, mesotherapy).

Some of these guys are actually doing legit research, one actually got his IV vitamin protocol accepted into a parkinson's study down at the University of Florida.

I keep an open mind to them...but also a critical one as well.

This story is from 2000, so it's pretty old, its been discussed here on SDN numerous times.

Oops. Didn't know it was an old story. I think the article on CNN was new though.