Coaching a kid's BBall team

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CaptainPoopyPants

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm considering coaching a kid's basketball team. I'm actually interested in doing this, possibly for a YMCA team or just a local city league. Unfortunately, I won't really have the time to do it unless it will also look positively on my application. Will med schools see this as significant non-medical volunteering? I'd really like to do it but need more EC hours.
 
I had a friend do this and it turned out well for him. If possible, try to do it in an underserved community.
 
I'm considering coaching a kid's basketball team. I'm actually interested in doing this, possibly for a YMCA team or just a local city league. Unfortunately, I won't really have the time to do it unless it will also look positively on my application. Will med schools see this as significant non-medical volunteering? I'd really like to do it but need more EC hours.
Do what you love and love what you do.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do what you love and love what you do.
I appreciate that, but I think I love getting into medical school more than I do coaching kids basketball. Now, if coaching would help me get into med school, 2 birds 1 stone. But I'm afraid that it won't be looked at as a quality volunteer opportunity.
 
If you like doing this then you should be able to talk passionately about it. That’s always a good thing.if it’s not with an underserved population (think inner city or something like that) then I’d look for some volunteering with those less fortunate in the off-season