Coast to Coast...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rebs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The idea of leaving sweet home CA was not something that had ever entered my mind until recently. Now with the supposedly good problem of choosing between two tremendous schools (one in SoCal and the other in NYC) I am having a hard time neglecting the allure to be in NYC.

I guess indirectly this thread is asking where should I go, but really I am after the insight of people who either took or are taking this 'leap of faith' into the unknown. I know there are those that have made a similar decision here. Is it 'crazy' (as Gnarls Barkley would say) to leave the sun, the beach and your family to gain a new experience on life in the great city of New York? I have no idea...but I have about 4 days left to decide my future as a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm actually probably going to do the reverse switch...I'm choosing between staying on the east coast (born, raised, college etc) and taking the coast to coast leap to southern california. I'm excited about it but definitely also nervous. After talking to a lot of people that have made the transition, I've basically come out thinking that its a great idea...

What do you think about a life-long east coaster switching to the west coast?

west-to-east can certainly be done, but there's a bit of an adjustment period... i'm a life-long west-coaster, and spent 10 weeks in boston, and i'd say it took maybe a 6-8 weeks to get used to the differences.

that being said, i've heard east-to-west is much easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely imagine that going east-to-west is much easier since its not too difficult to get used to sunny weather and very laid back people. With that said, I know I'm happy here in SoCal but it would be a mater of challenging myself to live somewhere like NYC. Believe me, outside of possibly being in New York City I would never even consider moving from Southern California.

No one ever actually leaves SoCal. People think about it, but it doesnt actually happen. Don't bother arguing with me, I can prove it - it's science.

SanDiegoSOD said:
No one ever actually leaves SoCal. People think about it, but it doesnt actually happen. Don't bother arguing with me, I can prove it - it's science.

If you're "going back to cali," where did you go?