Code Bag Contents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is obviously a very old thread but I've been tasked with finding a replacement for the code box at our institution. Currently we use a fishing tacklebox which is massive and a pain to carry around. Anyone have any suggestions for some type of backpack that maybe you use at your institution?

We had the "StatPack", fit a good amount of stuff into it.

Members don't see this ad.

I responded to a code and was about to intubate a basically dead patient in the middle of resuscitation when one of the nurses in the room said we needed to stop and do a time out before we intubated because it was an invasive procedure. She wasn't kidding either.

I don't think I've ever barked such a strong response to a nurse in my life.

I had a similar situation in which I was placing tube, chest compressions were going on, surgical resident was placing femoral line, etc. Charge nurse walked with a stack of yellow gowns and loudly proclaimed, "Everyone stop! This patient is on contact precautions. You need to all put on gowns" . I believe myself and the surgical resident simultaneously flipped her the bird.

Reactions: 1 users
I second the statpack, place I'm at now uses them on every floor and has them stocked the same way, there's a stock card for easy restocking and everything in the bag is the same which is key for getting things quickly no matter where you are. Plus it's a backpack which is much nicer than lugging around a bag where things can get loose. If you're at the head of bed and asking someone to grab something from an unfamiliar cart it's wasted time. The only thing we don't keep in them is drugs. Last place I was at the only paralytic outside the OR was vec, even in the icu because it was powdered and would last forever. Sux was in the pyxis, except when it wasn't

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar situation in which I was placing tube, chest compressions were going on, surgical resident was placing femoral line, etc. Charge nurse walked with a stack of yellow gowns and loudly proclaimed, "Everyone stop! This patient is on contact precautions. You need to all put on gowns" . I believe myself and the surgical resident simultaneously flipped her the bird.

did charge nurse write all you guys up lol

Our place has a code cart and a seperate airway cart on every floor/unit. We bring nothing to a code. It works great, why any hospital would do it differently is beyond me.

Reactions: 4 users
There isn't a whole lot of evidence for anything that goes on in codes/ACLS so I don't really get this idea of bringing big bags.

Plus there is good evidence that tubing ppl leads to even worse outcomes (us study in March approx)

Acls really bugs me. The idea of giving some little old dear like 8mg of adrenaline in 15 mins cause 'the book says so' by some snotty nosed medical resident does not sit well with me. I actually detest acls sometimes

Reactions: 1 user
The problem with ACLS is that they let the amateurs run it. ACLS should be run just by pros. It's absolutely ridiculous to allow non-physicians, especially from non-resuscitative specialties, to play with those drugs. Just stick to BLS. There should be a separate certification for ACLS team leaders, including the latest literature, pitfalls, frequent mistakes etc. Even in the academic center where I did my fellowship, I found most CPRs painful to watch because of the many mistakes that were made (the most typical one was the RRT ventilating at 20-30/min, "to compensate for acidosis", basically creating a pillow of air under the sternum and negating absolutely any cardiovascular effect of sternal compressions). Add to this the high epi doses, and it's not a surprise that most resuscitated patients don't make it out of the hospital.

This whole nurse/midlevel empowerment did not/will not lead to better outcomes. All we got is people who do things automatically, even when not indicated. My fellowship place had a nurse just for "SIRS" situations. More than once we were alerted because an anemic or dehydrated patient had "SIRS" (tachycardia and hypotension). As technology becomes more prevalent in medicine, it seems that common sense and sheer medical knowledge become less common.

Reactions: 1 user
This should have called for a firing for being too stupid for the job.