Coding questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) For SIJ in an ASC, I just learned that Medicare wants g0260 and 77002, NOT 27096. Does anyone know whether this is true fur any private insurances?

2) Medicare says a facet joint cyst aspiration/rupture is 64999... are any of you billing this? I have heard the code doesn't pay anything. I previously had been billing a 1 level facet joint injection and if I do a TFESI I will also bill the TFESI. Now I"m not sure what's correct?

Members don't see this ad.

1) For SIJ in an ASC, I just learned that Medicare wants g0260 and 77002, NOT 27096. Does anyone know whether this is true fur any private insurances?

2) Medicare says a facet joint cyst aspiration/rupture is 64999... are any of you billing this? I have heard the code doesn't pay anything. I previously had been billing a 1 level facet joint injection and if I do a TFESI I will also bill the TFESI. Now I"m not sure what's correct?
They’re ripping you off. I’d just document it as a facet injection, and then say you aspirated/ruptured the cyst in the fine print

Reactions: 1 user
should be a facet injection. document the facet injection and attempted aspiration after successful placement.

i have not heard that g0260 is to be used. is that coming from the ASC? because medicare states that fluoroscopy is to be bundled with the SIJ.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

1- my surgery center said the same thing about a year or so ago. I have carried on business as usual billing the original code. Perhaps that is what they need to bill for the facility fee in Asc?

2- I have always billed the esi code plus facet w 59 modifier. As I am doing these for radiculopathy from the cyst, and esi pays more, I always bill for the lesi or tfesi as primary code. I do recall reading something in the Medicare LCD and one of the commercial carriers a few years ago about this being the only circumstance you can bill both codes.

should be a facet injection. document the facet injection and attempted aspiration after successful placement.

i have not heard that g0260 is to be used. is that coming from the ASC? because medicare states that fluoroscopy is to be bundled with the SIJ.

you are not the facility.

you are the physician. you do not report the G code.

Physician services in an ASC setting should report codes as noted above in the section on Professional services performed by the physician.

which is this part:

For professional services performed by the physician:

Bilateral SIJIs procedures reported with CPT 27096 or 64451 should be reported with modifier 50. If a unilateral joint injection (CPT 27096) is performed and a unilateral sacral nerve block (CPT 64451) is performed on the contralateral side do not report modifier 50 with either code. Do not report a sacroiliac joint injection (CPT 27096) and a block of the nerves innervating the sacroiliac joint (CPT 64451) for the same side, per the policy.

Reactions: 1 users
you are not the facility.

you are the physician. you do not report the G code.

Physician services in an ASC setting should report codes as noted above in the section on Professional services performed by the physician.

which is this part:

For professional services performed by the physician:

Bilateral SIJIs procedures reported with CPT 27096 or 64451 should be reported with modifier 50. If a unilateral joint injection (CPT 27096) is performed and a unilateral sacral nerve block (CPT 64451) is performed on the contralateral side do not report modifier 50 with either code. Do not report a sacroiliac joint injection (CPT 27096) and a block of the nerves innervating the sacroiliac joint (CPT 64451) for the same side, per the policy.
This is the right answer.