Coelom formation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiddler

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
An exam had some question about coelom formation. I didn't think we'd have to know this since I only learned about it in high school!

What is a coelom? I am having difficulty understanding the wiki. How is it developed in the context of a developing embryo?

"is a fluid-filled cavity formed within the mesoderm of some animals."

Do we have a coelom? Where in the body is it exactly, if so?

Members don't see this ad.

A coelom is basically what the wiki says, a fluid-filled cavity that's within the inside of the animal. It's an internal, mesodermal sack. So lungs aren't coela, and neither are the guts, because they're endoderm and directly connected to outside the animal. But the whole abdominal cavity (specifically, the part that's surrounded by the peritoneum), between the skin and the guts, that's our big coelum.

Ahaha, I took AAMC 5 today and I remembered this thread but didn't remember the conclusion. oops.

So the origin of coelom is the mesoderm?

And, remember that AAMC publication that listed all the subtopics I posted? "Origin of coelom" is on the darn list...I think I'll post thread topics on solely the biology topics I've never heard of just to cover the bases.

Ahaha, I took AAMC 5 today and I remembered this thread but didn't remember the conclusion. oops.

So the origin of coelom is the mesoderm?

And, remember that AAMC publication that listed all the subtopics I posted? "Origin of coelom" is on the darn list...I think I'll post thread topics on solely the biology topics I've never heard of just to cover the bases.

yeah mesoderm. kinda funny to list such a specific topic.