Coffee Drinkers Rejoice!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

wolfspeaker

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/5-health-reasons-to-not-quit-coffee-2460820/


There's always been proof out there that coffee in moderation is actually good for you. But I just thought I would post this anyways. Just in case some people don't know it yet 😀

So, those of you that are trying to cut coffee completely out, why?

How much coffee do you drink a day? What kinds? What's your favorite? Yadda Yadda. Discuss!

I drink 1-3 cups depending on what I"m doing, how much sleep I got, how good the coffee tastes haha. I prefer the dark roasts as it's what my father always had, but I don't mind the lighter roasts(more caffeine!). I do not like anything in my coffee though. No cream, sugar, milk, none of that stuff. I do like Iced Lattes though.
 
I used to drink coffee, strong with just a touch of milk. When I was -young-. Started about 11, drank it probably until I was 16 or 17. Then for some reason I just stopped liking it. I don't even enjoy the smell now.

I drink diet colas now, mostly Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max. I'm going to have a stroke/heart attack and die at 25 at this rate. Usually I drink about 1-2 cans per day. If I'm short on sleep it can reach 3 a day, however.

Yeah 🙄
 
I am totally sending that to my thesis supervisor. He drinks like 5 cups a day.

I drink 1 or 2 cups a day. I drink mine black too. I'm in love with Costa Rican coffee at the moment and the Irish Cream coffee that my campus' cafe serves.

Also, if you're familiar with Tim Horton's, I LOVE their ice caps and cafe mochas. You should have seen me when they started advertising the cafe mocha ice caps. It was AWESOME.

I like lattes, cappuchinos and all of other those fancy drinks. The only downside is that the tiny little cafes that serve these fancy drinks are rare here. There are two in my city and I rarely get a chance to visit either of them. They're about a 15 and 25 minute walk in the opposite direction of the bus stop that takes me to campus, but every now and then, my friend and I walk there.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yum yum coffee is a great start to a morning.:woot:

I usually drink about 3 to 4 cups a day, starting at about 5:30am to about 1pm.

Usually make my own, Folgers light to medium roast 😀. I make it a bit weak, I can't do strong coffee.

I've tried whole, 2%, and skim milk, half and half, and have settled with a lactose free powdered creamer.

One spoonfull of suger finishes my cup. 😀
 
😍 Coffee😍

My grandma started serving me coffee with lots of milk and sugar before kindergarten. It's evolved into strong black at home for the most part. 2-3 cups from my french press. If I order one out hot/iced I try something fancy. Im always picking up a new brand or variety weekly but my favorites are probably Starbucks coffee Cafe Verona and Seattle's Best hazlenut flavored. I even bought a coffee plant.....but it says its going to take 7 years for beans, lol
 
How much coffee is too much coffee? Is there really such a thing as too much coffee, so long as it is accompanied with equal amounts of water?

These are the questions I ask myself on a daily basis. My day starts off with my pride and joy... my keurig. My only beef with it is that, well, I am drinking more than 1 cup at a time usually, but it is fantastic for those times when I just need a quick cup.

I haven't always been a coffee lover. My relationship with the delicious brown beverage began in college (don't they always). The first cup I had my freshman roommate made for me, and though I loved the smell, I couldn't stand the taste. So I did what any normal person would, I dumped a packet of hot cocoa powder and added some milk. Presto, Mocha-licious. I was also up until 3 am having heart palpitations and making it known to my roommate. It was her fault after all.

I have come a long way since my sugary "coffee" drinks (caramel macchiatos at every orgo lecture). Now I like it black, with a dash of skim milk to cool it off.
 
Futurevet, my coffee drinking began the same way as yours! I used to put packets of flavored hot chocolate into coffee with lots of milk. My parents thought I was disgusting. And then I fell in love with Starbucks Frappacinos when they put a starbucks across the street from my high school.

Now I drink coffee with milk and sugar. I don't love coffee, but if I don't drink it I get a debilitating headache in the afternoon. I hate that I need to have it.
 
Futurevet, my coffee drinking began the same way as yours! I used to put packets of flavored hot chocolate into coffee with lots of milk.

My mom puts instant coffee in hot chocolate.

And cafe mochas at Tim's are half coffee, half hot chocolate. It's an amazing combo.
 
I used to drink coffee, strong with just a touch of milk. When I was -young-. Started about 11, drank it probably until I was 16 or 17. Then for some reason I just stopped liking it. I don't even enjoy the smell now.

I drink diet colas now, mostly Diet Pepsi and Pepsi Max. I'm going to have a stroke/heart attack and die at 25 at this rate. Usually I drink about 1-2 cans per day. If I'm short on sleep it can reach 3 a day, however.

Yeah 🙄

Eeee!! I cringed at this. Diet is so bad for you!! Well really now that I think about that, it seems like everything these days is somehow bad for you and causes cancer at some rate lol. But really, aspertame! Bad! 😛 I have a friend who drinks like 3 diet's a day and one time she even used it as windsheild wiper cleaner. That is dedication! haha.

I love coffee myself but I only have it a few times a month. Caffeine really affects me so I try to stay away. I get jittery and what not lol. I also try to stay away from soda because when I was younger it seemed to not help with my acne. I try to stick with juice or water or tea lol but I do stray...especially when I'm at work (waitress).
 
Ehhh, life causes cancer. I've come to terms with it. 😳


Seriously!! It's getting out of control lol. I can't even eat oreo's without thinking it's somehow super bad for me. that and 2 cookies are 160 calories lol
 
Hahah, that's why I love Julia Child.

"Everything in moderation, including moderation."

Can't go wrong!

Well, everything except caffeine. I need a permanent IV drip of that stuff.
 
I looooooove coffee but I can't drink too much of it because I like it with all the syrupy sugary stuff in it. I could probably try to wean myself down off the French vanilla creamer a bit, but I think I'd rather just use copious amounts of creamer and drink it as a treat every once in a while.
 
Just like I feel the need to splurge on un-healthy things that can have bad results lol. Coffee/caffeine is the ****.
 
😍 Dark roast, strong, little bit of half and half, little bit of honey = heaven.

My boyfriend and I constantly argue about the benefits/dangers of coffee. He thinks it has to be the worst thing in the world for you and always quotes things he "heard." I demand his sources, and refuse to listen until he gives me empirical evidence. He's too lazy to provide (and his facts are usually BS) so I always win. 😀
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I like coffee, but I'm fussy about how I drink it. Typical if I'm out is a Tim's half and half. If I'm making it at home, I use some sort of flavoured creamer. Favourites are Coffeemate Fat Free Hazelnut and International Delight Fat Free French Vanilla. Sooooo good. If I'm at Second Cup, I use lots of milk and sugar (they stock Splenda, but that stuff is the work of the devil, so I don't touch it).
 
Noooooo one outside of Canada has a clue what Tim Horton's is. Unless they live close to Canada, or have been to Canada. Pretty sure.

I like a local coffee place the best, and I get a white chocolate mocha with a little extra powder. Y'all don't wanna know how much sugar I put in my regular coffee...
 
Tim Horton's - cheap coffee/donut/baked goods chain. As ubiquitous as Starbucks (there's at least 3 Tim's locations on my university campus) but without all the fancy stuff, and at about a third of the price.

Slang (for inquiring Americans)
Double-Double - coffee with 2 milk, 2 sugar (there's also triple-triple, quadruple-quadruple, etc, but double-double is the most common)
Half and half - half coffee, half hot chocolate
Cafe Mocha - half coffee, half hot chocolate with whipped cream and chocolate shavings
Iced Cap - iced cappucinos (HEAVEN in a caffeinated, overly sugary form)
 
Noooooo one outside of Canada has a clue what Tim Horton's is. Unless they live close to Canada, or have been to Canada. Pretty sure.

I like a local coffee place the best, and I get a white chocolate mocha with a little extra powder. Y'all don't wanna know how much sugar I put in my regular coffee...

Does Ohio count as close to Canada? Because we've got Tim Horton's out the wazoo up here.
 
If I remember correctly, there's something like 500 Tim's in the USA. According to their website though, the nearest one to you, TT, is in Kentucky. I think Ohio does count as close to Canada - it's on the Great Lakes, so just a stone's throw from Ontario.
 
Ohhhh, coffee. I have a love-hate relationship with it.

I'm in love with lattes. Only from certain places, though, and they are unfortunately in LA, which is about an hour and a half to two hour drive, depending on traffic. But the espresso they use is seriously amazing, and the baristas are actually trained correctly (unlike Starbucks and Coffee Bean baristas) in how to make espresso drinks. So much better than Starbucks. Whenever I go home to visit my family, I make it a point to stop at my favorite coffee shop.

I never really liked coffee until I started working at a Coffee Bean in high school and started experimenting with the drinks we had. Then my sister (who was also working at the same Coffee Bean) discovered third wave coffee shops and became obsessed with coffee and I got dragged along. My palate isn't as refined as hers. I can't drink my coffee black--I need a ton of milk/cream and usually sugar--so I don't really care much about how coffee tastes as a whole. If it tastes bad, I just dump more milk and sugar in. Espresso is kind of different, because I love lattes. I mostly picked up my idiosyncracies about coffee from my sister.

Third wave coffee shops, from what I understand, are those that came in the wake of Starbucks-type shops (which are second wave) and rather than catering to the masses, per se, they are focused on roasting and serving the best coffee they can. First wave was supposedly like this, then Starbucks-type places came in and took over.

The biggest problem I have with Starbucks (and a growing number of Coffee Beans): They don't even make their own foam. That was like my favorite thing about steaming milk--competing with my co-workers to see who could make the best foam! They shouldn't be called baristas if they can't make their own foam! D:

And I'm also really really really mad that Starbucks bought out the company that makes Clovers. Now the coffee shops that my sister and I always went to that used Clovers had to switch to other methods to fresh-brew individual cups of coffee because if their Clovers broke, they wouldn't be able to get them fixed. Way to ruin a good thing, Starbucks! Your employees aren't even real baristas. 😡 Fun fact: A Starbucks employee was fired for entering and competing in the World Barista Championship. (Yes, they have those. No, I don't watch them.)

And now that you all know the depths of my insanity, I think I'll stop writing now. :laugh:
 
My day starts off with my pride and joy... my keurig.

I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO BAD!! Please tell me more about how awesome it is so that I can be convinced it is a necessity and that I am perfectly justified in buying one for myself! :laugh: Do you know if they're available in the UK?
 
Justification for Keurig: you will have so many more friends. They're THAT cool. 😛
 
Tim Horton's - cheap coffee/donut/baked goods chain. As ubiquitous as Starbucks (there's at least 3 Tim's locations on my university campus) but without all the fancy stuff, and at about a third of the price.

I pass 3 on the road to campus... 10-15 minute drive (or 40 by bus lol). My city has NO Starbucks or Second Cups or anything like that. We have 2 locally owned cafes, 1 Robin's and.... 9 Tim Horton's if I counted right lol. Just a couple of months ago we had 10. One left because the mall it was in was under renovations. There are two roads that have two Tim Horton's on it that are almost across the street from each other. One is an eat-in and the other is a drive-thru.

Just for comparison... we have 4 McDonald's, 4 Subways, 2 BKs, 2 DQs, and 1 brand name pizza place (Greco... the rest are all locally owned).

Most of our population is made up of old, retired folks. It's a well known fact that Tim Horton's is really popular with the old, retired folks. That is probably why we have so many...

Putting a Coldstone in the Tim Horton's closest to me was EPIC. I can have my cafe mocha and my mudpie mojo I think it's called (made with coffee ice cream).

I'm going to die young... probably at a Tim Horton's... if not, I'll pass at least 2 on route to the funeral home... and the gravediggers will be Rrrrrollin' up the rim while I'm being placed in the hole...

I Rrroll like the majestic beaver by the way.
 
Justification for Keurig: you will have so many more friends. They're THAT cool. 😛

The machines break easily, coffee is very expensive per 5 oz cup, and the coffee is not very good (being preground and all)
They can be good if you're morning-lazy and dont care for cost-efficiency or good coffee 😎 😀
Most people fit that bill, so I guess K-cups are good for some people.


My own advice would be to buy a good burr grinder, an aeropress or hario/chemex pourover or french press, and find some local (or online) roasters to buy tasty fresh-roasted coffee from.
 
The machines break easily, coffee is very expensive per 5 oz cup, and the coffee is not very good (being preground and all)
They can be good if you're morning-lazy and dont care for cost-efficiency or good coffee 😎 😀
Most people fit that bill, so I guess K-cups are good for some people.


My own advice would be to buy a good burr grinder, an aeropress or hario/chemex pourover or french press, and find some local (or online) roasters to buy tasty fresh-roasted coffee from.

You sound like my dad. 😀 Haha and I mean that in the nicest way. He is such a coffee prude... he has an amazing grinder that he uses every morning as well as some special ridiculous gold-plated filter or something like that. His coffee is the best, I will admit!

Buuuut it's all too much maintenance and I am definitely morning-lazy like you said. It's practically a miracle I can do anything without having my morning dose of caffeine. 😳 Not to mention having to deal with clean up. Did I mention I'm also day-lazy and night-lazy?? I think this means I should be drinking more coffee. 😉
 
The machines break easily, coffee is very expensive per 5 oz cup, and the coffee is not very good (being preground and all)
They can be good if you're morning-lazy and dont care for cost-efficiency or good coffee 😎 😀
Most people fit that bill, so I guess K-cups are good for some people.


My own advice would be to buy a good burr grinder, an aeropress or hario/chemex pourover or french press, and find some local (or online) roasters to buy tasty fresh-roasted coffee from.
B-b-b-but they're coooooooooooooooooooooool D8

Haha, I second you on the good coffee. It's pretty bad. Even the cider is weak. They have one at our sister clinic across town and I sometimes get a cup of cider on errands... it's nothing to write home about. But the machines themselves are wicked cool! If you want good, strong coffee though, and you're willing to spend some time on it, there's nothing better than a french press. Mom has used one for as long as I can remember, and I know I used to love when she pulled it out and made us coffee (back when I still drank the stuff). Good memories.

Hey, at least there's one thing I WON'T have to buy in the fall. A coffeemaker!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO BAD!! Please tell me more about how awesome it is so that I can be convinced it is a necessity and that I am perfectly justified in buying one for myself! :laugh: Do you know if they're available in the UK?

Well I absolutely LOVE my keurig! I have 1-2 cups a day and it's just perfect. We've had ours for about 3-4 years now and it is still in great condition. I think it is perfectly possible to drink good strong coffee using a keurig if you do these things: NEVER use the coffee grounds attachment to pour your own grounds in, as it is utter crap because it does end up tasting like water. ALWAYS use k-cups, which are not pricey at all if bought on Amazon, and DO read Amazon reviews for k-cup types, because they know what they are talking about. We've tried probably a dozen or so brands of k-cups until we found the great combination of 3 or so that we keep ordering. Very strong and delicious coffee. I highly recommend the keurig to anyone except the French press coffee variety. We have a French press also, but honestly I don't see the big deal (Oh the horror!). My disclaimer, however, is that I put milk and equal in my coffee (Double the horror! Cancer and death eek!) - so maybe that makes a difference? But my fiance drinks his black and loves it.
 
I WANT ONE OF THOSE SO BAD!! Please tell me more about how awesome it is so that I can be convinced it is a necessity and that I am perfectly justified in buying one for myself! :laugh: Do you know if they're available in the UK?

I am sure you can order one and have it delivered to your door. I may be joining you over there... so I will bring mine and have coffee parties with it so you can try it out and fall madly in love like I do. Sippin on a cup as we speak. Mind you its not the "freshest" coffee... but its just so stinkin cool, that makes up for it. I only have the baby one though. I have seen the macho ones and they're insane!

Edit (slash flashback): My Keurig was brilliant at school. I would have it literally on my desk next to my bed and get it all ready the night before and just hit brew when my alarm went off. Yes I know the equivalent is a timer coffee pot. But this was right next to my bed. I got up when it was done. It was perfect. I can't wait to do this again in vet school!
 
Bad news for all you French Press coffee drinkers (and I don't have the link ATM, late for class) - But apparently French Press (and peculators) can increase you LDL levels. Supposedly the paper from the filter removes the oils responsible for this.

I love my French Press... so I think I will just chase each cup with a bowl of Cheerios... that will work, right?
 
I am sure you can order one and have it delivered to your door. I may be joining you over there... so I will bring mine and have coffee parties with it so you can try it out and fall madly in love like I do. Sippin on a cup as we speak. Mind you its not the "freshest" coffee... but its just so stinkin cool, that makes up for it. I only have the baby one though. I have seen the macho ones and they're insane!

Edit (slash flashback): My Keurig was brilliant at school. I would have it literally on my desk next to my bed and get it all ready the night before and just hit brew when my alarm went off. Yes I know the equivalent is a timer coffee pot. But this was right next to my bed. I got up when it was done. It was perfect. I can't wait to do this again in vet school!

So... I wikipedia-ed it but I still don't get it. Is this any different from a one-cup coffee maker?

Speaking of coffee makers... we have 3 in our lab and a kettle... and only 4 people regularly use the lab...
 
I have inherited my coffee addiction from my mother... There's always coffee at the house and I drink anywhere from 2 to 8 cups a day (more if I'm studying). When we make coffee at the house, I have no problems re-heating a cup of coffee from the pot even if it's a day or so old....

What I like: extremely dark coffee (cannot stand to see through it-- it's a wasted beverage if you can, IMHO) with a little bit of skim milk and some Splenda.

Guilty pleasure: any coffee from my all-time favorite coffee shop-- Stauf's 😍 (in Columbus-- if you ever are in the area... go there!). LOVE Panera's Hazelnut coffee (but somehow it always makes me extremely shaky afterwards....) Also enjoy Biggby's Michigan Cherry flavored coffee... yum! Timmy Ho's has some good stuff... used to walk past one every day when I worked in Columbus-- can't beat it for $1 refills on mugs of coffee!
 
I'm a Starbucks hoe. It's terrible. I also live across the street from one, so, what're you gonna do? I'm one of those people who literally walks in and hand them my cup and credit card, because everyone knows what I drink! 🙄 Weapon of choice is a single grande non-fat chai latte - if you've never tried a dirty chai, you should, because they are amazing.
I also love our local coffee chain, Phoenix, and they have awesome seasonal drinks and a really, really good mocha.
 
I'm a Starbucks hoe. It's terrible. I also live across the street from one, so, what're you gonna do? I'm one of those people who literally walks in and hand them my cup and credit card, because everyone knows what I drink! 🙄 Weapon of choice is a single grande non-fat chai latte - if you've never tried a dirty chai, you should, because they are amazing.
I also love our local coffee chain, Phoenix, and they have awesome seasonal drinks and a really, really good mocha.

starbucks owns a part of my soul. no joke. I'm not even embarrassed. I'm pretty sure we could have paid off a good chunk of school loans if I quit drinking the stuff.. but oh, how it completes me!

EDIT: My coffee loving story is a bit odd. I used to almost vomit if I tasted ANYTHING remotely close to coffee. (Mocha candy - I would go into heaves and hacking fits) One day, in the middle of finals, I sampled a pumpkin spice latte. I drained it and ordered a vente. I've been drinking anything similar since then. I have also GAINED 15 lbs since then!!!!! We're talking direct correlation.....scientific fact.

Still can't drink normal brewed coffee. I expect that ability will surface during vet school.
 
Sorry! 🙁 Having to buy crummy produce at Wal-Mart is my LEAST favorite part about living here. Please talk with cowgirla about how she's dealt with that, because I'm just used to it by now. And remember that both Tulsa and OKC are 1 hour away, and they have loads of restaurants and stuff... and there's a Whole Foods in Tulsa, if you wanted to make a monthly trip and stock up on non-perishables.

And there *is* a Farmer's Market, but it's very seasonal.
 

Similar threads