cognitive perceptual psychology programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psychology10530

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, So I have recently found myself to be quite intrigued by the idea of becoming a cognitive perceptual psychologist. However, I have had a tough time finding a lot of information on programs like these around the country. How competitive are these programs? I assume you need a PHD for such a position. Are they as competitive as clinical psychology PHD's? Any and all info on the subject would be extremely helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,
You may do best by looking for experimental psychology programs. I don't think you're going to find a program that touts itself as training cognitive perceptual psychologists. One of the things that really helped me when I was applied to grad school was to look at who was doing research like I wanted to be doing, and then find the programs where those people were housed. This can help narrow down your research interests too, and then you can find the people who are working in your research niche.

Hi there,
You may do best by looking for experimental psychology programs. I don't think you're going to find a program that touts itself as training cognitive perceptual psychologists. One of the things that really helped me when I was applied to grad school was to look at who was doing research like I wanted to be doing, and then find the programs where those people were housed. This can help narrow down your research interests too, and then you can find the people who are working in your research niche.

thanks for the help. Do those programs tend to be more or less competitive than a clinical psych PHD program? What GPA GRE etc are they usually looking for?

Members don't see this ad :)
Experimental is typically somewhat less competitive than clinical, in the sense that there are usually fewer people applying so the odds are better. Of course, they are still quite competitive in the grand scheme of things though as always, it will vary significantly by program. I'd plan on > 3.5 GPA and > 1300 GRE to be under consideration at most places.

Also agree with the above you are unlikely to find "Cognitive Perceptual" programs. Many programs will label that track "Experimental" may be of interest, or programs in Cognitive Neuroscience (or "Cognitive" more generally). Alternatively, you may find similar research outside of psychology if you are interested in AI, human-computer interfacing, etc. Lots of cool research being done at places like Cal-Tech, RIT, etc.

Experimental is typically somewhat less competitive than clinical, in the sense that there are usually fewer people applying so the odds are better. Of course, they are still quite competitive in the grand scheme of things though as always, it will vary significantly by program. I'd plan on > 3.5 GPA and > 1300 GRE to be under consideration at most places.

Also agree with the above you are unlikely to find "Cognitive Perceptual" programs. Many programs will label that track "Experimental" may be of interest, or programs in Cognitive Neuroscience (or "Cognitive" more generally). Alternatively, you may find similar research outside of psychology if you are interested in AI, human-computer interfacing, etc. Lots of cool research being done at places like Cal-Tech, RIT, etc.

thank you for the quick reply! I only had a 3.3 at a large university and got about a 710 on the math section and about a 510 or so on the verbal. I have some experience in the field but not too much. I applied to a few Psy d programs recently and have been doing interviews over the past few weeks. However, now I am second guessing myself and thinking I may want to be in a career of applied psychology studying human behavior in social psych or cognitive perceptive psych. Are there PHD programs that I could get in with those type of credentials (preferably in the Boston/NY area)

thank you for the quick reply! I only had a 3.3 at a large university and got about a 710 on the math section and about a 510 or so on the verbal. I have some experience in the field but not too much. I applied to a few Psy d programs recently and have been doing interviews over the past few weeks. However, now I am second guessing myself and thinking I may want to be in a career of applied psychology studying human behavior in social psych or cognitive perceptive psych. Are there PHD programs that I could get in with those type of credentials (preferably in the Boston/NY area)

There are several PhD programs in cognitive psychology around the country that would allow you to research perceptual topics. There are also PhD programs in social psych. You aren't going to find decent programs that cover both of those, though; a doctoral degree shouldn't be just a degree in general psychology, it should allow you to become an expert in something specific.

Your post confuses me a little because social and cognitive are typically considered experimental degrees, not applied degrees. Also, you're going about the process a bit backward. Don't find the school you want to go to and then hope a professor is studying what you want to study, find the professors studying what you want and then apply to wherever they are.

There are several PhD programs in cognitive psychology around the country that would allow you to research perceptual topics. There are also PhD programs in social psych. You aren't going to find decent programs that cover both of those, though; a doctoral degree shouldn't be just a degree in general psychology, it should allow you to become an expert in something specific.

Your post confuses me a little because social and cognitive are typically considered experimental degrees, not applied degrees. Also, you're going about the process a bit backward. Don't find the school you want to go to and then hope a professor is studying what you want to study, find the professors studying what you want and then apply to wherever they are.

I just decided on going this path so I suppose I am a bit confused as to the exact details pertaining to these programs. Essentially, I am looking to become a Social Psychologist and obtain a PhD in this specific field. However, being that I just started my search, I am just looking for some basic tips as to where to begin my search (considering my GPA and GRE scores are not top notch) I'm going to begin looking at professors at various schools but I would really like to stay in the NY or Boston area to narrow down my search. I was just wondering what schools I would have a shot at getting into considering my GPA is only at a 3.3