SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Cognitive Therapy with TBI

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by lakewood, Mar 5, 2007.

1. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Hello,

I have recently begun working with a TBI population and I am surprised at the liberal definition of "cognitive therapist" that seems to be used quite frequently. I have been taught to associate cognitive therapy with Beck and his theory, however the institute I now work at calls ME a cog therapist (I only have my BS at this point, and my work is primarily with helping clients learn skills that may have been lost, such as computer or creative skills and community involvement).

Is this broad title of cognitive therapist common, or is it unique to my current place of employment?

Thanks.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. RayneeDeigh

RayneeDeigh 5+ Year Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Well... my understanding is that there are lots of psychologists associated with cognitive psychology (Ellis, to name one). But also, anyone can call themselves a therapist so that's pretty common.

4. lakewood

lakewood 2+ Year Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Yes, there are obviously a number of cognitive therapists worth noting. However, my point was that I would not consider my work to be psychotherapy in the same sense that I would usually think of CT. It is a much broader role with more emphasis on life-skills acquisition and assistance than psychotherapy.

My question is as follows: is this broad concept of "cognitive therapy" common, or is this unique?

5. doctorpsych

doctorpsych Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2006
    There are a number of conotations derived from "cognitive therapy", I'm guessing since you are working in rehab and TBI, there's relatively new area of practice that emphasizes memory rehabilation/memory training. There are a number of new studies that have demonstrated positive impact of cognitive rehab training (mostly memory training) for individuals with cognitive deficits (Alz., Dementia, certain types of TBI, etc).

Now if you are referring to treatment, in the most literal sense, cogntive therapy derived from Beck. The official name is Beck's Cognitive therapy. Ellis' work is rational emotive behavior therapy (REBT). Both Beck's and Ellis' therapies fall under a broader umbrella of treatment--Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (although Beck's Cognitive therapy title does not incoorporate the term behavior, it's treatment often involve behavioral facets). Often times, those who are big proponents of Beck's work refer themselves as Cogntive Therapists.

Keep in mind, (and I'm sure you know the difference), there's a whole are of cognitive psychology that it's not clinical but research oriented.

I've never heard of anybody call themselves cognitive therapist unless they practice Beck's CT. I wonder if those who are doing cogntive rehab/memory training work call themselves cognitive therapists too. If so, there should be some clarification. The term therapists is very generic and it's not until recently that legislature has been attempting to formally separate the professional therapists (e.g. psychotherapists) from those who simply call themselves therapist for the heck of it and want some sort of recognition. That's why if you are a psychologist, you should reframe from referring yourself as a therapist.

Hope that helps.

6. 50960

50960 Guest

Aug 20, 2004
    CO
    I agree, they are referring to you as a cognitive therapist much like one would refer to someone as an OT, PT. You are doing cognitive rehab training, not cognitive psychotherapy.

7. toby jones

toby jones 2+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2007
    maybe it is regarded as cognitive because it seems to grant the cognitive assumption that the problem is with faulty input (hence re-education can provide the corrective input) rather than with malfunctioning inner mechanisms (hence they are rational enough to process the corrective input appropriately).

that seems to be an assumption of applied cognitive psychology.

8. maranatha

maranatha 5+ Year Member

Mar 12, 2006
    Off-centered
    This is fascinating. Can you please give some references? Thank you.

[Sorry to the OP for getting off topic :oops: ]

9. doctorpsych

doctorpsych Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2006
    See below, I've seen others but didn't save them...you should find more when you do a search on psychlit or medline.

Cicerone, K.D., Dahlberg, C., Kalmar, K., Langenbahn, D.M., Malec, J.F., Bergquist, T.F., Felicetti, T., Giacino, J.T., Harley, J.P., Harrington, D.E., Herzog., J., Kneipp, S., Laatsch, L., Morse, P.A. "Evidence Based Cognitive Rehabilitation: Recommendations for Clinical Practice. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. 2000; 81(12) 1596-1615.

Sitzer, D.I., Twamley, E.W., Jeste, D.V. “Cognitive Training in Alzheimer's Disease: A Meta-analysis of the Literature.” Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica. 2006 Aug; 114(2): 75-90.

Serino, A., Ciaramelli, E., Di Santantonio, A., Ladavas, E., “A Rehabilitative Program for Central Executive Deficits after Traumatic Brain Injury.” Brain and Cognition. 2006 Mar; 60(2): 213-4.