Cold Calling/Emailing Practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peruano

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Senior resident starting discussions with some practices. Looking tor a partnership track position as a general ENT.

As I reach out to practices, is there anything I can provide besides a CV that would be helpful? This is probably silly, but after writing so many personal statements in life, I feel compelled to write a letter with couple paragraphs trying to simply explain who I am and what I hope to bring, as well as why their practice interests me personally. Would that come across poorly, or be beneficial?

Also, should I get some reference letters now to just pass along with a CV, or does that usually come later in the process?

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I’d be happy to read a -concise- objectives letter. Don’t drone. I suppose results may vary, but I’d be surprised if anyone decides not to hire you because you sent a letter than they weren’t actually obligated to read anyway.

LOR I’d hold off on. They’ll call your references.

Brief cover letter should be fine. Who you are, what your expertise and interests are, and why you are looking at group.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any recommendations of References?
I would assume my Program Director and one more faculty that I think knows me best. Beyond that, I could see it going many ways. Should I include my chair? A co-resident or two?

Whoever you know is going to sing your praises. I had 3 faculty members that I got along with very well not my program director or chair.

I would assume my Program Director and one more faculty that I think knows me best. Beyond that, I could see it going many ways. Should I include my chair? A co-resident or two?

Program director is usually a requirement for credentialing so you'll need that anyway. Not co-residents, you need faculty that worked with you directly and like you.

Yeah, not co-residents. Faculty who can comment on you as a surgeon, can comment on your work ethic and your knowledge base, and who you get along with well.

The faculty do have an interest in you finding a good job. No one wants to go to a residency where the faculty doesn’t care what happens to you, or where the residents can’t fine jobs afterwards. But at the same time no one hiring a doc wants to hear a “meh” reference.

Here’s what I want to hear from a reference:
1-He’s not a weirdo and people get along with him (patients, staff, co-residents)
2-he knows how to learn and he’s learned what he needs to learn to get rolling.
3-he’s self-sufficient and likes to stay busy and can work alone, but can help out if needed.
4-I’d hire him if I could
5-he’s got good hands

Probably in that order.

Reactions: 1 user
Not ENT but general interviewing experience they will ask you for the references they want. Provide PD (Or chairman if your PD doesn't love you, chairman works as an alternate), two attending surgeons who thought you were the coolest person on Earth.

Had one place also ask me to talk to two of my co-chiefs and two additional operative attendings, one from residency, one from fellowship.

Currently interviewing for a partner and I greatly appreciated the people who wrote a <1 page cover letter explaining themselves.

What did you guys want to see in the cover letter?

Ie things that would keep the partner in the area or things that they would be happy to do etc?

1-who are you? (New grad, practice icing in X city,) it is worth mentioning if you’re from the area if you are. It suggests you’ll stick around. If you can do it quickly and organically it isn’t bad to include hobbies or family (if you so choose). Not absolutely necessary, but it tells me a little about who I might be working with.
If you’re moving to Berkeley, for example, they’d want to know if you have a MAGA tattoo.
2-what are your professional interests? Do you want to do everything, or only certain things? Don’t brag about $#!t you don’t do, but if you want to do a lot of ears and we have an otologist, that may be an issue.
3-what do you want out of a practice? Briefly. Large group/small group/employed/etc? Are you looking to practice in the city you grew up in, or you love the area, or did you pick this practice for a specific reason?
4-if you’re leaving another practice and you feel comfortable stating why, it’s worth doing so. But you’re in no way obligated to do that. I might not, but you asked what I’d like to see not necessarily what I’d do.
If you just got tired of living in Cincinnati and wanted to move to the coast, that’s ok to include. If you got in to a legal battle and sued your practice and they hate your guts, maybe not.

Don’t focus on crap that’s already in your CV. I can look up your school and residency and fellowship into.

I would look at the cover letter as if we met at the academy meeting and you were telling me a little bit about yourself and what you want in the next few years career-wise.

I’m a big fan of being fairly frank. You want this to be a good match. If it doesn’t work out then it doesn’t work out. There’s such a shortage of ENT docs, you can afford to not have a good match at a few places.

Reactions: 1 users