Cold Feet About Intended Specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thoughtful301

Reaction score
Hi all,

Desperately need of some advice here. My intended specialty is PM&R. However, over the past couple days I am having serious doubts and feel like I should apply psych instead. I have a very strong psych LOR, good scores (222 step 1, 259 step 2), lots of ECs. The kicker is that I only submitted a supplemental app for PM&R. How bad would it be to apply to psych without having done a supplemental app for it?

Any input would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that it's impossible, but I know that for psych PDs (and most other specialties for that matter), perceived commitment to the specialty is high on their list of "most important" factors.

I highly suggest you have an immediate conversation with the psych PD at your school or at least someone higher up in the academic advising dept. The last thing you want to do is practice in a field that was not your first choice if it can be avoided.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the reason for the doubts? They are fairly different specialties so why one over the other?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the reason for the doubts? They are fairly different specialties so why one over the other?
I like PM&R but I love psych. Doubts are that my family doesn't consider psych "real." However I'm coming to grips that it's my life and need to do what makes me happy.

I like PM&R but I love psych. Doubts are that my family doesn't consider psych "real." However I'm coming to grips that it's my life and need to do what makes me happy.

I’m sorry didn’t realize that psychiatrists didn’t have a MD/DO after their name! (Sarcasm btw) you made it through med school you earned the letters and I encourage anyone who has a passion for psych to go for it because the need is real and there. So try to ignore what your family says and follow that passion if that is what you want.

Reactions: 1 users
I was torn between PM&R and psych as well. The same thing made me shy a bit away from psych (people not thinking I'd be a "real" doctor, and family opinions). I mostly got over that when it was really time to decide, but when it came down to it I had just a slight preference for PM&R because I liked the inpatient environment there much more, wheras in psych I definitely preferred outpt but felt I'd get a bit bored/lonely. I'm introverted, but I need some "coworker-type" contact. And I really enjoyed the interdisciplinary aspect of inpatient PM&R (same for inpatient psych--I just didn't enjoy working with inpatient psych pathology/patients).

I probably overthought things too much. But I felt I could enjoy about 4-5hrs of outpatient psych at a time, compared to 8-10hrs of inpatient PM&R. I did psych really meaningful (especially addiction medicine). Same for PM&R. Eventually I did a whole contemplative hike to try and figure out what to do and it hit me I smiled more on my PM&R rotations, so I applied PM&R.

Here's what I can say: go into the specialty you enjoy. But realize if you get it wrong, it's not the end of the world--you can jump ship (with some difficulty) and switch while you're a resident. It may set you back a year or two, but that's nothing in the grand scheme. We're talking about the rest of your life, and it's worth being happy.

That said, perhaps you could be quite happy in both specialties. If that's the case, one thing I didn't think at all about when I was debating the two was how easy it is to work literally anywhere you want as a psychiatrist. I could rent a room in an office and start my own practice--schedule my own patients, etc. It'd be so easy! You cant do that in most specialties. I could set hours like 8-2pm M-Th. I wouldn't be super rich, but I'd probably still do ok.

The location thing actually becomes more important when you have a family, which is when it hit me. When my son was born our priorities changed and I went from looking at big-city VA SCI jobs to wanting to live near grandparents. We got really lucky--there's an inpatient rehab unit 15 minutes from them. Otherwise the next one was a few hours away. The unit near them was so small it only needed 1-2 physicians, but lucky for me Coastal CA is hard to recruit to (expensive, not many jobs for spouses since it's not SF or LA), so they had an opening.

So it all worked out really great in the end, but if it didn't I'd probably regret not going into psych for that reason alone. I'm really happy in PM&R, but I still think I could've been a bit less than really happy in Psych. Happy is happy. I'm at the point in life where I would gladly accept a little less job satisfaction for the additional family ties/"life satisfaction" that came with being near family.

Reactions: 2 users
I was torn between PM&R and psych as well. The same thing made me shy a bit away from psych (people not thinking I'd be a "real" doctor, and family opinions). I mostly got over that when it was really time to decide, but when it came down to it I had just a slight preference for PM&R because I liked the inpatient environment there much more, wheras in psych I definitely preferred outpt but felt I'd get a bit bored/lonely. I'm introverted, but I need some "coworker-type" contact. And I really enjoyed the interdisciplinary aspect of inpatient PM&R (same for inpatient psych--I just didn't enjoy working with inpatient psych pathology/patients).

I probably overthought things too much. But I felt I could enjoy about 4-5hrs of outpatient psych at a time, compared to 8-10hrs of inpatient PM&R. I did psych really meaningful (especially addiction medicine). Same for PM&R. Eventually I did a whole contemplative hike to try and figure out what to do and it hit me I smiled more on my PM&R rotations, so I applied PM&R.

Here's what I can say: go into the specialty you enjoy. But realize if you get it wrong, it's not the end of the world--you can jump ship (with some difficulty) and switch while you're a resident. It may set you back a year or two, but that's nothing in the grand scheme. We're talking about the rest of your life, and it's worth being happy.

That said, perhaps you could be quite happy in both specialties. If that's the case, one thing I didn't think at all about when I was debating the two was how easy it is to work literally anywhere you want as a psychiatrist. I could rent a room in an office and start my own practice--schedule my own patients, etc. It'd be so easy! You cant do that in most specialties. I could set hours like 8-2pm M-Th. I wouldn't be super rich, but I'd probably still do ok.

The location thing actually becomes more important when you have a family, which is when it hit me. When my son was born our priorities changed and I went from looking at big-city VA SCI jobs to wanting to live near grandparents. We got really lucky--there's an inpatient rehab unit 15 minutes from them. Otherwise the next one was a few hours away. The unit near them was so small it only needed 1-2 physicians, but lucky for me Coastal CA is hard to recruit to (expensive, not many jobs for spouses since it's not SF or LA), so they had an opening.

So it all worked out really great in the end, but if it didn't I'd probably regret not going into psych for that reason alone. I'm really happy in PM&R, but I still think I could've been a bit less than really happy in Psych. Happy is happy. I'm at the point in life where I would gladly accept a little less job satisfaction for the additional family ties/"life satisfaction" that came with being near family.
That's great advice. I'm sure I would still be happy in rehab, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happiest in psych. I wasn't even thinking about it from a job market perspective, but that's another point towards psych. I think my only regret going with psych will be the life that one of my PM&R mentors has working subacute rehab. She has so much time to spend with her family and loves the work. I'm sure I'll have that in psych as well, though.

That's great advice. I'm sure I would still be happy in rehab, but I'm pretty sure I'd be happiest in psych. I wasn't even thinking about it from a job market perspective, but that's another point towards psych. I think my only regret going with psych will be the life that one of my PM&R mentors has working subacute rehab. She has so much time to spend with her family and loves the work. I'm sure I'll have that in psych as well, though.
Follow your heart. It’s always best to follow it the first time and not come back around or always wonder “what if?” If you really think you’ll be happier in psych I’d start there. If things just done go how you want you can (albeit with some difficulty/annoyance, loss of time/income) reapply into PM&R.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Psych is totally real and there is a huge need. Go with your passion.

Your family will not be doing your job 40-60hrs a week. You will.

Choosing your second-favorite job for the entirety of your life for an extra pat on the back during family reunions doesn't seem worth it. Just my thoughts.

Last edited: