Cold Feet about Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsmith1255

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I am a college senior who is planning to matriculate to medical school in the fall. Recently, I have been getting cold feet about attending medical school. I do not have any back up or alternative plans for next year, but I find myself continually questioning whether I am doing the right thing. Has anyone ever felt the same way/ have any advice? Thank you in advance!
 
Normal. If anything. I'd be more concerned if you didn't have at least an inkling of doubt/anxiety about embarking on a 7-year (minimum) process that also includes hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt burden.
Idk... maybe it’s because I’m a nontrad and had a career before applying to medical school, but I have no reservations about starting in the fall. I wouldn’t say being worried is normal or being confident is abnormal. My biggest worry about medical school currently is having to start classes online due to COVID.

Eta: OP should try to figure out what about starting medical school is stress inducing. Is it finances? Is it the career in general? Hard to say what is “normal” if they aren’t sure what is causing the anxiety.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Idk... maybe it’s because I’m a nontrad and had a career before applying to medical school, but I have no reservations about starting in the fall. I wouldn’t say being worried is normal or being confident is abnormal. My biggest worry about medical school currently is having to start classes online due to COVID.

Eta: OP should try to figure out what about starting medical school is stress inducing. Is it finances? Is it the career in general? Hard to say what is “normal” if they aren’t sure what is causing the anxiety.
Anxiety about launching yourself into something as rigorous as medical school is not abnormal at all. You can be confident with bouts of anxiety/doubt at the same time lol. We’re human. It’s okay to feel all of those things.
 
Hi!

I am a college senior who is planning to matriculate to medical school in the fall. Recently, I have been getting cold feet about attending medical school. I do not have any back up or alternative plans for next year, but I find myself continually questioning whether I am doing the right thing. Has anyone ever felt the same way/ have any advice? Thank you in advance!
All new endeavors are fraught with anxiety. You'll be fine.
 
Had this dilemma last year. What eased my anxiety is realizing that I would always be asking "what if?" if I passed on the opportunity.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.