Cold Spring Harbor Summer Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurotiger

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a first-year PhD student holding onto an acceptance for a summer course - but things have started going well in the lab, and I think I might decline in order to keep pursuing them. The attitude in my lab is somewhat competitive, and I fear I risk losing my project. My advisor thinks there can't possibly be a better training environment than our lab - it's great, but I do think I have a lot to learn. Has anyone attended one? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

My thoughts are that you only live once, and you should go where you will be happier. If you're going to be kicking yourself when you're at Cold Spring Harbor because you were _so close_ to some really great results on your project, and be miserable there, then don't go. Atlernatively, if you're getting great results but your lab is so competitive (read:cutthroat) that you're miserable working there, go for the change of pace and have fun at Cold Spring Harbor.

As much as I've lived and died for pubs, I'll have to say that going to Cold Springs (a high-end bio place if I remember) would be really fun. I would trade in a 1st authorship for a 2nd or 3rd if it meant I got to go on a fun course like that.

Your advisor's advice may be suspect - remember that their motives (publish or die) may not jive with your's (learn as much as you can). To change their tune, try a two-fold attack: 1) sell your advisor on how you'll make positive connections, looking to see if there's any joint projects to be had, and 2) you'll be trained on all of their good techniques, which you can import back to your advisor's lab for their benefit :smuggrin: !

Members don't see this ad :)
Which course is it? Anyone get into the C. elegans one in August? From what I understand, these are pretty tough to get into - 2 experienced postdocs and a fellow in my lab didn't get in, so I'd definitely jump at the opportunity if I were you.

In my opinion, it probably depends on if it will advance your training or not.

I have a colleague whose thesis project is to purify and determine the function of a novel protein. He got to take the Protein Purification and Characterization class. Now he is miles ahead of everyone else.

I knew a grad student whose project revolved around whole cell patch clamping. He took the ion channel course and came back well trained.

I heard both those courses are amazing and worthwhile. So, I would specifically ask someone who took the course you are registered for.