Cold writing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gut Shot

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm kicking around the idea of contacting some practices in the region where I'd like to settle. I'd like to feel things out a little bit. Trouble is, how does one go about this 1) without having my unsolicited letter end up directly in the trash, and 2) without coming across as a desperate freak?

My tentative plan would be to enclose a condensed CV with a cover letter explaining my interest. After printing some of those suckers up on 50 lb. stock, who the Hell do I send them to? "Pathology Dept. @ Monkey Nuts Regional"? "Attn: Anybody, Scope Urchin Pathology Associates, LLC"? Randomly selected pathologist in the group? Every person in the group?

The Devil is, indeed, in the details.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm kicking around the idea of contacting some practices in the region where I'd like to settle. I'd like to feel things out a little bit. Trouble is, how does one go about this 1) without having my unsolicited letter end up directly in the trash, and 2) without coming across as a desperate freak?

My tentative plan would be to enclose a condensed CV with a cover letter explaining my interest. After printing some of those suckers up on 50 lb. stock, who the Hell do I send them to? "Pathology Dept. @ Monkey Nuts Regional"? "Attn: Anybody, Scope Urchin Pathology Associates, LLC"? Randomly selected pathologist in the group? Every person in the group?

The Devil is, indeed, in the details.

Are you a resident? Maybe you can have somebody with connections in your department feel things out for you. Lot of info gets dished by word of mouth...yeah, if you send out cover letters and CV's, it is certainly possible that they'll get tossed in the trash.

Are you a resident? Maybe you can have somebody with connections in your department feel things out for you. Lot of info gets dished by word of mouth...yeah, if you send out cover letters and CV's, it is certainly possible that they'll get tossed in the trash.

PGY-2, baby. Yeah, I know it's early, but some major decisions (primarily regarding fellowship) are inching closer. I'm already planning on milking every connection I have, but I reckon some additional low-yield effort probably couldn't hurt. Much.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get addresses, send CVs with cover letters, and set a contact response point. (ie I will be calling after (1 month) to discuss any oportunities..)
But PGY2 is a little early to be sending that stuff out...

Maybe just dig up some contacts.. and give someone a call... Most jobs are looking for people in Nov-Feb for that July. Not 2+ years out...

Actually the best thing is just get yourself known. If there are local, find out if they have any local society path meetings. Even if it is not local, if it someplace you go on vacation (parents home... )

PGY-2, baby. Yeah, I know it's early, but some major decisions (primarily regarding fellowship) are inching closer. I'm already planning on milking every connection I have, but I reckon some additional low-yield effort probably couldn't hurt. Much.

Gah! Isn't it frightening how fast it's going by? Especially when you're staring into the abyss? I mean, we all graduated from high school and applied to and completed college... then we did the med school thing.... then the residency thing... and I suppose the fellowship thing could be next but for many people it's an actual JOB. Don't know about anyone else, but it's kind of a weird feeling.

Most jobs are looking for people in Nov-Feb for that July. Not 2+ years out...

True, but I'm only ten months from many fellowship application deadlines. Big decisions aren't that far off, and my interests are broad. If I smell a cherry spot that's GI heavy, for instance, it may impact how I tailor the rest of my training. Also, part of the reason I'm kicking this around now is that I know of two groups who have known retirements coming up in the next 2-4 years. I'm sure there are more out there who anticipate new openings even 2+ years in advance. The fact that they're not yet searching for a replacement doesn't mean one won't be needed.

Clearly I need to get back on an AP rotation. I have way too much time on my hands.

I should've known that you were PGY-2...you were one of those people who changed their screennames. What was wrong with devil cheese, huh?

EUA, it is scary that searching for jobs is around the corner...now one could do multiple fellowships to avoid having to go into the real world! For instance, you could do AP/CP and then 3 fellowships and apply for jobs during your PGY-7 year! :thumbup:

I think the better way to go would be to do AP only, then do a CP only residency, that would last at least 5 years. Then, the fellowships can start.

Gut shot, if you have an inkling that you want a competitive fellowship you would be advised to "get your name out there" in some way, whether it's starting a project or publishing a book chapter or whatever. Even for local fellowships, it can be tough without that.

I should've known that you were PGY-2...you were one of those people who changed their screennames. What was wrong with devil cheese, huh?

Same thing that was wrong with Andy, after 3+ years it was time for a change. Whatever happened to Angry Testicle, BTW?

Bierstiefel said:
EUA, it is scary that searching for jobs is around the corner...now one could do multiple fellowships to avoid having to go into the real world! For instance, you could do AP/CP and then 3 fellowships and apply for jobs during your PGY-7 year! :thumbup:

I was actually thinking of going back for a second PhD, probably in enology. I'll just bypass a career altogether and move straight into retirement on a vineyard.

Gut shot, if you have an inkling that you want a competitive fellowship you would be advised to "get your name out there" in some way, whether it's starting a project or publishing a book chapter or whatever. Even for local fellowships, it can be tough without that.

Yeah, I'm on it. I still go back and forth between general surg path vs. subspecialty, but a little research can't hurt either way.