Cole, NYU, Tufts...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzyb83

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you rank these programs? I know that Cole has incredible faculty, amazing fellowship opportunities, and great research, but...it's in Cleveland. Location is pretty important to me, and frankly, I'd be willing to sacrifice some reputation for it, but not if it means significantly lower chance of getting fellowship. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I would put Tufts at the bottom of your list. Cole is a great program and there are lot's of things to do in Cleveland. To be honest, you are not going to have much time anyway! Good luck.

Last edited:
Did not interview at the other two programs...

1. If you are going for the area
- probably the weakest program in Boston

2. Facilities
Not very good, even if you take into consideration the fact that real estate is hard to come by in Boston. The ophthalmology floors are 2 levels in the Tufts Medical Center and pediatrics is in a newer facility in the Foating Eye Hospital and the Lahey Eye Center (where residents spend a significant portion of time, but we were never able to see). Wet lab is in a cramped room (1-2 people max can fit in there and work comfortably) in an older building behind the hospital.

3. Wet lab
They do not have access to human eyes, just pig eyes and "you can get a synthetic one" if you ask for it according to one resident. Residents say that they have protected time in the first two years for wet lab.

4. OR experience
Residents are able to do parts of surgeries during the PGY 3 year and, I was told, learn these various portions of the procedure throughout the year to prepare them to do complete procedures in the PGY 4 year. Residents told me that they get 50 cataracts at the Lahey Eye Center and expect 60-70 at the away rotation in New Mexico (3 months PGY 4 year). According to one resident they never get exposure to extracaps. They also include numbers for international electives. So overall, most procedures are not done in Boston at all.

5. Independence
Virtually none. There are fellows in every specialty and residents are followed closely by attendings throughout their clinical training. There seemed to be a lot of hand-holding in this program, not much autonomy. When I asked Dru Krishnan, the program director about the program in New Mexico he was very defensive. He became even more defensive when I asked if he felt the residents have sufficient subspecialty exposure.

6. Program prides itself on...
resident happiness - and that was it. In my interview the only positive aspect of the program that was mentioned, repeatedly by faculty during my interview, was that the residents were happy. Unfortunately, they did not seem very happy during my interview, or at least much happier than any other residents I met at other interviews. One resident often said, "I think that you can get good training anywhere." It was like a subtle message - lol.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How would you rank these programs? I know that Cole has incredible faculty, amazing fellowship opportunities, and great research, but...it's in Cleveland. Location is pretty important to me, and frankly, I'd be willing to sacrifice some reputation for it, but not if it means significantly lower chance of getting fellowship. Thoughts?

Disclaimer for anyone looking for advice on here. Many posting are medical students with potential conflicts of interest at this time. Not very often you can get an accurate evaluation of a program from a medical student, anyway. If possible, try to get an adviser within your own ophthalmology department for decisions like this.

I just wanted to make a few comments on the previous post about Tufts, as I feel several points were misleading. I thought it was a great program!

1. I certainly would not say it is the weakest program in Boston. All 3 programs are excellent but are all structured very differently. It depends on what you are looking for.

2. Facilities: No, there is not a brand new eye center like some programs in the country but they are just as good as anywhere else in Boston. It is an old city with old buildings. My understanding is that the eye center at Lahey is brand new - probably didn't get to see it since it is 30 min away from Tufts.

3. Wet lab: The wet lab was small, but there were 3 phaco machine stations and another station to practice suturing etc. Every week 4 residents go at a time for protected wet lab time. Pig eyes or human eyes - does it really matter? Wet lab is for PRACTICE. Any wet lab is better than none.

4.OR Experience: The PD had a slide that divided up the surgeries - as I remember the majority of them were done at Tufts. I have no reason to think that the surgical training at the other facilities would be inferior to the training at Tufts. I remember the residents saying they got some surgical time during 1st year, which I didn't hear at many programs.

5. Independence: I would generally think that a lot of exposure to attendings and fellows is a good thing rather than a negative point about the program. They are your teachers - how else are you going to learn if not from them? Seems better for pt care too if 1st year residents aren't managing the pts on their own. That being said - during 3rd year in NM the clinic there is supposedly resident run so you get autonomy out there. I asked specifically about this and it sounds like night call and weekends you are also on your own to the extent that you are comfortable with. I wrote down that the residents got: 3 mos peds, 3 mos plastics, 3 mos neuro, 3 mos, glaucoma, 6 mos cornea/ant seg, 6 mos retina in addition to the other more general rotations. Seems to cover all the specialties quite well.

6. Program prides itself on: Happiness!! Not sure how that got spun into a negative thing. Everyone I met there seemed really happy with the program.

I think all 3 have a good reputation. You shouldn't have a problem getting into a fellowship no matter which one you choose. I primarily ordered my rank list based on location and am happy with that decision. Residency is hard and you want to be somewhere that you will be happy!!

I just wanted to make a few comments on the previous post about Tufts, as I feel several points were misleading. I thought it was a great program!

1. I certainly would not say it is the weakest program in Boston. All 3 programs are excellent but are all structured very differently. It depends on what you are looking for.

2. Facilities: No, there is not a brand new eye center like some programs in the country but they are just as good as anywhere else in Boston. It is an old city with old buildings. My understanding is that the eye center at Lahey is brand new - probably didn't get to see it since it is 30 min away from Tufts.

3. Wet lab: The wet lab was small, but there were 3 phaco machine stations and another station to practice suturing etc. Every week 4 residents go at a time for protected wet lab time. Pig eyes or human eyes - does it really matter? Wet lab is for PRACTICE. Any wet lab is better than none.

4.OR Experience: The PD had a slide that divided up the surgeries - as I remember the majority of them were done at Tufts. I have no reason to think that the surgical training at the other facilities would be inferior to the training at Tufts. I remember the residents saying they got some surgical time during 1st year, which I didn't hear at many programs.

5. Independence: I would generally think that a lot of exposure to attendings and fellows is a good thing rather than a negative point about the program. They are your teachers - how else are you going to learn if not from them? Seems better for pt care too if 1st year residents aren't managing the pts on their own. That being said - during 3rd year in NM the clinic there is supposedly resident run so you get autonomy out there. I asked specifically about this and it sounds like night call and weekends you are also on your own to the extent that you are comfortable with. I wrote down that the residents got: 3 mos peds, 3 mos plastics, 3 mos neuro, 3 mos, glaucoma, 6 mos cornea/ant seg, 6 mos retina in addition to the other more general rotations. Seems to cover all the specialties quite well.

6. Program prides itself on: Happiness!! Not sure how that got spun into a negative thing. Everyone I met there seemed really happy with the program.

You have obviously convinced yourself that Tufts is the program for you, congrats! As for me, I try to look at the facts, without trying to over-think things.

1. Tufts is not at the same level as the BU or MGH programs in many many ways.

2. I am confused, have you seen Lahey or not? Because if you haven't, I am not sure you can comment on that point. Residents tell me that they are so-so about the facility.

3. Correction: 1 functioning phaco machine- email a resident and find out. I have never been to a program without a wet lab.

4. This comment makes no sense to me- if you are applying to train at Tufts and have no knowledge about the training in NM (your blind faith in the facilities there is interesting), than what are you talking about?? Who are the attendings there? Don't you wonder why you can't make your numbers in Boston?

Every program that I have interviewed at introduces first year residents to minor procedures (I would be surprised to hear of the other programs that you have interviewed at that didn't!).

5. If I was shadowing attendings into my PGY-3 year (at Tufts that means seeing a patient after an attending), I would be afraid to go into practice after graduation. A little guidance is fine, but when is enough enough?

6. When the only positive thing several attendings can say about a program is that the residents are very happy, well that's as generic as someone saying that his only weakness is that he work's too hard. At nearly every interview I have been to, I have heard that comment, but there has always been additional strengths mentioned. In this case, especially since I know residents there personally, residents are simply accepting of their program - not the "happiest in the country". I was merely pointing out how banal the responses were at my interview.

Pm me if you need me to clarify further. I can give you the names of some residents to speak with. :thumbup:

i rotated at tufts as med student.

residents would see all the pts on their own and do work-up and make their own A/P. would round after clinic to further discuss plan. residents weren't shadowing attendings.

there were 3 working phaco machines there before... not sure what the situation is now.

NM rotation is essentially their VA (where residents from most other programs get a good number of their surgeries).

i hear they are working on a resident clinic within the next few years - would help increase both autonomy and surgical cases at tufts.

finally - i completely agree with ojocinco about taking all these comments with a grain of salt! much of the info is based on one person's impression of a program after having spent just a few hours at a program and the info could be inaccurate or biased. and you never know about conflict of interest...

hope that helps!

Eyeguy - didn't mean to get you so worked up! Just wanted to offer another opinion about the program since I had gotten a completely different impression of it. Thanks for your input.

now that you all discussed tufts ... how about NYU vs Cole?

Wow, a lot of misinformed statements here. Felt the need to register just to clarify several things.

Did not interview at the other two programs...

1. If you are going for the area
- probably the weakest program in Boston

This is certainly debatable, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

2. Facilities
Not very good, even if you take into consideration the fact that real estate is hard to come by in Boston. The ophthalmology floors are 2 levels in the Tufts Medical Center and pediatrics is in a newer facility in the Foating Eye Hospital and the Lahey Eye Center (where residents spend a significant portion of time, but we were never able to see). Wet lab is in a cramped room (1-2 people max can fit in there and work comfortably) in an older building behind the hospital.

The ophthalmology clinics are 3 levels in the adult outpatient building and 1 wing in the Floating Hospital for Children, all within the Tufts Medical Center complex. Our lanes are nice but not the fanciest out there. Nevertheless, facilities were not a priority on my criteria for a residency training program.

The Lahey Clinic has 2 separate clinics in Burlington (20 min outside of Boston) and Peabody (35 minutes), both of which are indeed newer than the clinics at Tufts.

3. Wet lab
They do not have access to human eyes, just pig eyes and "you can get a synthetic one" if you ask for it according to one resident. Residents say that they have protected time in the first two years for wet lab.

True- no human eyes, just pig eyes, and "you can get a synthetic one." For all intents and purposes, a practice eye is a practice eye. Residents do have protected time in the first two years for wet lab with an attending solely devoted to teaching phaco.

4. OR experience
Residents are able to do parts of surgeries during the PGY 3 year and, I was told, learn these various portions of the procedure throughout the year to prepare them to do complete procedures in the PGY 4 year. Residents told me that they get 50 cataracts at the Lahey Eye Center and expect 60-70 at the away rotation in New Mexico (3 months PGY 4 year). According to one resident they never get exposure to extracaps. They also include numbers for international electives. So overall, most procedures are not done in Boston at all.

Residents are able to do parts of cataract surgery during the 3-month block at the Lahey Clinic during the PGY-3 year, building toward full cases. Residents get 10-15 complete phacos during this rotation. We expect 60-80 cases at the away rotation in New Mexico during the PGY-4 year. The remainder of our cases is done in Boston. Our residents typically graduate with between 120 and 180 phacos. Do the math, and a significant percentage of our surgical experience is still with the faculty in Boston. These numbers do not include numbers for international electives.

True- exposure to extracaps is rare at our program. We find that we can phaco most dense cataracts.

5. Independence
Virtually none. There are fellows in every specialty and residents are followed closely by attendings throughout their clinical training. There seemed to be a lot of hand-holding in this program, not much autonomy. When I asked Dru Krishnan, the program director about the program in New Mexico he was very defensive. He became even more defensive when I asked if he felt the residents have sufficient subspecialty exposure.

Residents are followed closely by fellows and attendings at the beginning of our clinical training. As we progress in our training, we are definitely afforded more autonomy. The curriculum at Tufts is more of graded autonomy than a sink-or-swim approach.

It's hard to see Dr. Krishnan getting "very defensive" about the New Mexico rotation. Besides the fact that we are out-of-state for those 3 months, the rotation is a popular one and a great experience for our residents.

Our subspecialty exposure is one of our program's strengths. During the 1st year, we spend 3 months each in cornea, glaucoma, and retina. During the 2nd year, 3 months of neuro-op, peds, and plastics. During the 3rd year, 3 months of cornea and retina again.

6. Program prides itself on...
resident happiness - and that was it. In my interview the only positive aspect of the program that was mentioned, repeatedly by faculty during my interview, was that the residents were happy. Unfortunately, they did not seem very happy during my interview, or at least much happier than any other residents I met at other interviews. One resident often said, "I think that you can get good training anywhere." It was like a subtle message - lol.

We are indeed happy and enjoy our residency. You can get good training anywhere. Whether our program is right for you is an individual choice.

Agree.

Agree.

Agree. The wet lab is small and not the nicest physical facility, but there are three phaco stations with fully functional operating microscopes and phaco machines, and another station to practice suturing, etc. Again, there is protected wet lab time staffed by an attending each week.

Agree. While the true surgical experience at the Lahey Clinic begins during the second year rotation as discussed above, first years do go to the OR one day each week during the first year rotation at the Lahey Clinic.

Agree. Fellows are an asset to our training. We do like working closely with our attendings, many of whom are well-known in their particular subspecialties.

Thanks.

You have obviously convinced yourself that Tufts is the program for you, congrats! As for me, I try to look at the facts, without trying to over-think things.

Again, debatable, your opinion.

2. I am confused, have you seen Lahey or not? Because if you haven't, I am not sure you can comment on that point. Residents tell me that they are so-so about the facility.

I have rotated through the clinics at Lahey. The facilities are nice.

3. Correction: 1 functioning phaco machine- email a resident and find out. I have never been to a program without a wet lab.

Three fully functional operating microscopes and phaco machines. PM me, and we can arrange for you to join our wet lab on Friday afternoons. Our wet lab is a nice part of our program and supplements our true surgical experience. Yet, the quality of a program's wet lab still shouldn't be a top consideration when making your rank list.

4. This comment makes no sense to me- if you are applying to train at Tufts and have no knowledge about the training in NM (your blind faith in the facilities there is interesting), than what are you talking about?? Who are the attendings there? Don't you wonder why you can't make your numbers in Boston?

Since BU and MEEI rotate through the VA in Boston, we travel to New Mexico for our VA experience. While the location is not ideal, the rotation is a popular one and a great experience for us. This is not based on blind faith. The attendings there are staff at the University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center. The training program in NM has been in place for years. Tufts was able to send residents there when Wisconsin pulled out several years ago. Pittsburgh also sends their residents to the same rotation. Like Pitt, we find that the experience supplements our training in our home cities.

Every program that I have interviewed at introduces first year residents to minor procedures (I would be surprised to hear of the other programs that you have interviewed at that didn't!).

True.

5. If I was shadowing attendings into my PGY-3 year (at Tufts that means seeing a patient after an attending), I would be afraid to go into practice after graduation. A little guidance is fine, but when is enough enough?

From PGY-1 to PGY-3 year, we see patients before an attending, do the exam, come up with an assessment/plan, then the patient is seen by the attending who can choose to agree or disagree with our plan. Even though patients are seen by an attending, residents are forced to make a decision regarding diagnosis and management. The same system is in place for our fellows. We graduate competent and confident ophthalmologists at the end of 3 years of training. Perhaps this system is not for you.

6. When the only positive thing several attendings can say about a program is that the residents are very happy, well that's as generic as someone saying that his only weakness is that he work's too hard. At nearly every interview I have been to, I have heard that comment, but there has always been additional strengths mentioned. In this case, especially since I know residents there personally, residents are simply accepting of their program - not the "happiest in the country". I was merely pointing out how banal the responses were at my interview.

Take it from a current Tufts resident, we are happy. Other strengths include strong subspecialty exposure, working directly with top faculty, and excellent fellowship placement. If you're looking for a program where you're running the show from day 1 of residency, then Tufts is not for you.

Pm me if you need me to clarify further. I can give you the names of some residents to speak with. :thumbup:

Agree, feel free to PM myself as well.

i rotated at tufts as med student.

residents would see all the pts on their own and do work-up and make their own A/P. would round after clinic to further discuss plan. residents weren't shadowing attendings.

there were 3 working phaco machines there before... not sure what the situation is now.

NM rotation is essentially their VA (where residents from most other programs get a good number of their surgeries).

i hear they are working on a resident clinic within the next few years - would help increase both autonomy and surgical cases at tufts.

finally - i completely agree with ojocinco about taking all these comments with a grain of salt! much of the info is based on one person's impression of a program after having spent just a few hours at a program and the info could be inaccurate or biased. and you never know about conflict of interest...

hope that helps!

Agree in full.

Again, PM me for any further questions regarding Tufts.

Eyeguy, you seem to be very misinformed about some important aspects of Tufts' program. I think Tuftsophtho above does an excellent job of refuting some of the erroneous comments you made, but I do want to add a few points.

The original poster asked about the quality of fellowships Tufts residents match in. Tufts matches extremely well in all fellowship areas. I can't name them all, but recent residents have matched at Wills, UCLA, UCSF, Baylor, Duke, etc. in all specialties. Not that name is everything, but unfortunately, as medical students, you guys don't have much else to go on...But rest assured that Tufts graduates interview and match at very well-regarded programs throughout the country. I don't know Cole's program very well, but I have spent time in the ophthalmology programs at both Tufts and NYU. I would argue that, nationally, Tufts is more highly regarded than NYU. I have nothing against NYU, but an issue with their program is a lack of full-time dedicated faculty, a huge negative in a residency. And the fellowship match list is consistently more impressive at Tufts than at NYU.

With respect to some of Eyeguy's other comments: I would argue that the faculty at Tufts are nationally more well-renowned than the faculty at BU. While this does not make or break a residency by any means, it does make me wonder why you would be so quick to say that Tufts is the "weaker" of the two. I don't have personal experience with "MGH," as you put it (it's actually MEEI, and I wonder if you know anything about that program if you don't even know what it's called).

The wet lab experience at Tufts is a major strength of the program. Many other residencies do not have weekly protected wet lab time for their residents, nor do they necessarily have faculty devoted to teaching surgical skills in the wet lab. The residents at Tufts are excused from their respective clinics to go to wet lab every Friday afternoon, and a faculty member is present every Friday afternoon. Eyeguy, the fact that you think there's only one functioning phaco makes me think that perhaps you don't know what a phaco machine looks like. There are four microscope stations; currently, three have functioning Legacy phaco machines, and they just received a new Infinity phaco, which makes for FOUR phaco machines.

The residents don't "shadow" attendings. That's just bizarre to say -- no residency could function if residents were simply shadowing, and I'd be surprised if you found any residency where the residents don't see patients on their own.

The surgical training at Tufts is excellent. The residents start doing cataract surgery as first years, in addition to other types of procedures (e.g. oculoplastics). They get more experience with cataract surgery (as well as plastics and strabismus) as second years, and then finally as third years they are in the OR nearly everyday. The surgical numbers are above the national average, and the surgical teaching is excellent, with an extraordinarily low complication rate for resident cataract surgery.

Eyeguy, you keep mentioning "facilities," as if this is a very important quality in a program. I've worked in about eight different ophthalmology clinics total, not to mention I interviewed at fifteen programs. The Tufts facilities are actually among the better ones I've seen, though I'm not really sure how much this even matters. A slit lamp is a slit lamp.

Regarding the happiness of the residents -- you somehow turn this into an insult! The fact that the residents are happy is probably the single highest recommendation you can get for a program. Residents are only happy if they like their attendings and co-workers, if they feel that they are getting good training, and that they are not being overworked. Residents will be unhappy if they feel they are unappreciated and undertaught by faculty, if they are getting little experience clinically or surgically, or they are working like dogs with little free time for other things.

Eyeguy, the negative tone of your post makes me wonder if you have a personal vendetta against the program or its residents. I'm sorry if you carry such baggage, but it seems pretty immature to air your personal grievances against Tufts on a public site.

Just wanted to add my input to help you with your decision.
I graduated from NYU/MEETH last year and was overall happy with my training. Strenghts included great autonomy, patient diversity (the majority are non-English speaking), and resident camaraderie. Negatives included surgical volume and lack of full-time dedicated faculty. Recent improvements include a new wet lab, surgical simulator and better retinal coverage. Most go on to fellowship, and most stay in the Northeast. Since this information isn't on the website, recent matches include:

retina: cornell (x2), usf (tampa)
cornea: wills
plastics: asoprs @ cincinnati (nerad)
pathology: u. wisconsin

glaucoma: nyee (x2), mass eye & ear
cornea: wills & cornell
peds: meeth
plastics: non-asoprs in ny

retina: ucla
glaucoma: nyee (x2)
cornea: mass eye & ear, tufts, cornell

retina: cpmc (sf)
peds: children's boston, casey
glaucoma: stanford
plastics: non-asoprs in nj

retina: cpmc (sf)
glaucoma: duke
cornea: uc-irvine
peds: ucsd, musc (storm)

retina: michigan
peds: children's boston, meeth
neuro-op: wilmer
cornea: wilmer, columbia

Hope that helps. Good luck with everything. pm with more specific questions.