Collecting Human Extracted Teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serryddol

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school requires to collect 24-30 of human teeth before the school starts. Our family dentist said that handing out patients' teeth is against the state law. Does anybody have any idea how to collect that many teeth?

Members don't see this ad.

serryddol said:
My school requires to collect 24-30 of human teeth before the school starts. Our family dentist said that handing out patients' teeth is against the state law. Does anybody have any idea how to collect that many teeth?
Go the the grave yard at around 2am and do the dirty... if you know what i mean. J/K, actually look on ebay, theres teeth for sale on their, pretty cheap, like a nice little lot of 10 for 6 bucks

serryddol said:

what schools want this and WHY? good luck with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
knock your own teeth out

Reactions: 1 user
mlle said:
I know MCG requires a bunch.

INFNITE said:
knock your own teeth out
haha :laugh:
that would save you a lot of money too, but i woudn't go to a dentist who only has about 2 teeth left.

Go to the rowdiest biker bar you can find and knock over the motorcycles parked out side domino style.

Assuming you're still alive at the end of the night you should be able to get the teeth you need ;)

armorshell said:
Go to the rowdiest biker bar you can find and knock over the motorcycles parked out side domino style.

Assuming you're still alive at the end of the night you should be able to get the teeth you need ;)
:laugh: Or go downtown and pay some bums $10 a tooth... I guarantee that you will get some teeth paying some bums to knock their teeth out for u, plus u might get some laughs out of it to

Temple required a quart size jar of extracted teeth. Im gona go beat up some kids and get his teeth. :laugh:

mlle said:

I don't know too many schools that don't. There are limitations to what you can do on a typodont tooth. Cutting on plastic still feels like plastic, and it's next to impossible to do endo on a tooth that has a screw in the bottom.

Tufts is also having people collect teeth before school starts... here's what they said:

The following guidelines and precautions are provided by the Center for Disease Control and are recommended when handling human extracted natural teeth for use in dental educational settings:

1. All specimens should be stored in a securely sealed specimen container with a sufficient amount of common household bleach, diluted 1:10 with tap water (approximately 5,000 ppm of free available chlorine).

2. Before manipulating extracted teeth in dental educational settings, the teeth should be cleaned of adherent patient material (by scrubbing with detergent and water), and then stored in a fresh solution of diluted bleach.

3. Persons handling extracted teeth should wear gloves. Gloves should be disposed of properly and hands washed after completion of work activities. Additional personal protective equipoment (e.g. mask and eyewear, or face shield) should be worn if mucous membrane contact with debris or spatter is anticipated when handling, cleaning, or manipulating the specimen.

4. Work surfaces and equipment should be cleaned and then decontaminated with an appropriate liquid chemical germicide after completion of work activities.

They also said that the CDC Division of Oral health developed recommendations that permit students to collect human extracted teeth for dental school use as long as appropriate regulations for decontamination are followed.

I called about 5 oral surgeons in my area and all of them said that they, and their staff, would collect teeth for me, I made sure to let them know that I needed *all* kinds of teeth and not just 3rd molars.

Good luck,
Utes

Utes said:
Tufts is also having people collect teeth before school starts... here's what they said:

The following guidelines and precautions are provided by the Center for Disease Control and are recommended when handling human extracted natural teeth for use in dental educational settings:

1. All specimens should be stored in a securely sealed specimen container with a sufficient amount of common household bleach, diluted 1:10 with tap water (approximately 5,000 ppm of free available chlorine).

2. Before manipulating extracted teeth in dental educational settings, the teeth should be cleaned of adherent patient material (by scrubbing with detergent and water), and then stored in a fresh solution of diluted bleach.

3. Persons handling extracted teeth should wear gloves. Gloves should be disposed of properly and hands washed after completion of work activities. Additional personal protective equipoment (e.g. mask and eyewear, or face shield) should be worn if mucous membrane contact with debris or spatter is anticipated when handling, cleaning, or manipulating the specimen.

4. Work surfaces and equipment should be cleaned and then decontaminated with an appropriate liquid chemical germicide after completion of work activities.

They also said that the CDC Division of Oral health developed recommendations that permit students to collect human extracted teeth for dental school use as long as appropriate regulations for decontamination are followed.

I called about 5 oral surgeons in my area and all of them said that they, and their staff, would collect teeth for me, I made sure to let them know that I needed *all* kinds of teeth and not just 3rd molars.

Good luck,
Utes

Thank you all for your info and thoughts :)
I'm going to call the oral surgeons in my area. Hope that California dentists also have compassion for the future D-student.

serryddol said:
Thank you all for your info and thoughts :)
I'm going to call the oral surgeons in my area. Hope that California dentists also have compassion for the future D-student.

Just remember... they had to collect teeth too! Everyone I've ever asked has been more than happy to help a student, usually with some advice for the road ahead.

golfmontpoker said:
:laugh: Or go downtown and pay some bums $10 a tooth... I guarantee that you will get some teeth paying some bums to knock their teeth out for u, plus u might get some laughs out of it to

Thats awful. The sad thing is, its probably true. I sure wouldn't laugh at it though.

serryddol said:

Call up a local oral surgeon, tell him you're starting dental school in the fall and you're required to collect teeth yada yada yada... If they can't hook you up, ask them to refer you to someone else.

At LSU we have to collect 2 quarts worth of teeth. I currently work at the med school, and the oral surgery clinic has provided me with plenty of teeth.

I don't know too many schools that don't. There are limitations to what you can do on a typodont tooth. Cutting on plastic still feels like plastic, and it's next to impossible to do endo on a tooth that has a screw in the bottom.
There are plastic teeth for Endo

I am a dental school hopeful in the near future and I shadowed an oral surgeon and probably have 15 extracted teeth so far including my own wisdom teeth! Usually older patients don't want their teeth and the assistants cleaned them up for me and put them in a container.