Collecting Teeth .. matriculating dental student.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AbergermRDH

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Luckily I'm an RDH so finding places to collect teeth as requested by my school is no problem, but for those of you familiar with this what kind of container did you use to store your collected teeth? I'm having a hard time deciding what container to drop off at my oral surgeons office....

I was given a bleach water solution ratio use to sterilize the teeth, but have read that this can make them brittle. Would you think using a bit of glycerine to prevent this in the solution is a good idea?

Thanks for the tips!
 
What's the difference between storing teeth in bleach vs 10% formalin? Minnesota specifically told us not to put our teeth in bleach. Just curious why that is so.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the difference between storing teeth in bleach vs 10% formalin? Minnesota specifically told us not to put our teeth in bleach. Just curious why that is so.

At my school they use bleach. I didn't even know you can use formalin since it's normally used to preserve organs.
 
Bleach is used to clean them and formalin is to preserve them. I would say soak them in the bleach water solution for a few days THEN store them in either formalin or saline solution.
 
Bleach for a week then formalin till you use them. Might be tricky to get your hands on formalin though.