College advice for high school student

kdoc19

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So right now I'm in a sophomore in high school and I'm making my course selections for next year. I'm nervous that I'm not cut out to be a doctor because I feel like you need to be an absolute genius and not slip up at all in school. I think I want to become a doctor but I'm wondering about a few things.

How much do medical schools look at high school classes/grades? I dont think I can handle taking AP physics but will taking honors physics look bad to a college? I will most likely take AP chem senior year which would be 4 years of science. I'm ok at math, not amazing, and will take honors pre-calc as a senior. Does my math look lower than what is usually expected as a pre-med student? How intense and how many math classes will I have to take in college? I'm better at memorization and facts rather than math, so how much math and what kind is needed to be good at to be a doctor?

Right now my cumulative weighted GPA is a 3.96, and I am on student council, play soccer, and volunteer a lot. I'm thinking of volunteering at a hospital this summer and was wondering if that is something med schools will notice. Should I be doing more to stand out more as a student, and if so, what are some things that look good on resumes?

I am interested in the humanities and do well in those classes (particularly my AP art history), but am worried that I am not excelling in science and math enough. Do med schools like students who are balanced between the two or should I really only focus on math and science?

Overall I just want to know if it would be worth it to go to medical school and if it's meant for me. I'm really interested in the medical field but am worried I will feel less smart that other students. Thank you if you could answer some of my questions it would be extremely helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

1. You don't need to be a genius to be a physician. Maybe to solve string theory.
2. Med schools won't look (hell even care about your high school grades - that's what college is for). That would be like your high school caring what your first grade marks were - not logical.
3. Take the physics that you can do well on. Taking honors physics won't be looked down upon to a college adcom.
4. Your math is fine. Unless you're trying to be a math (or engineering) major in college, you are right on track and there a plenty of resources to help with the minimal math required in college.
5. Take the time to build up your logic and critical thinking skills in high school, college, and beyond. Memorization is a necessary skill but it won't help you through everything.
6. You're in high school, the GPA is strong and ECs look good for college (at least from the blurb you put down). There's no need to start volunteering at a hospital at this point unless you want to. There will be plenty of time to build up your hrs during college. Live a little and have some fun.
7. In college do what you like and what can be marketable (subjective) just in case you choose not to do medicine (or take some gap years). If you like math and science, major in that else major in whatever you like (e.g. history or political science or whatever). Of course you want to make strides to do well in classes that you may be inherently weak at such as math and science (though your GPA suggests that you are scholastically capable).
8. Worth for med school is a very personal choice. The only way you will know is by shadowing, volunteering, and talking to physicians (a lot, and different specialties). Either way focus on doing well at each step and don't be in a rush. There is plenty of time to make your decision and as long as you keep a strong GPA (3.7+), you'll have plenty of flexibility in the future.
9. I'll just tell you now, there will always be smarter people. As I said in point #1, it doesn't take a genius to get into and through med school. I say this as a guy who was at the top of my high school, went to a top university and met people who were waaaay smarter than me. But I worked hard and things worked out for me.
10. Relax. Work hard. Good luck.