What to do Summer after high school

TMH124

Reaction score
I have heard that medical schools only look at what you've done after high school, which makes sense. But does that include the summer after you graduate from high school? I have the option of volunteering for the 3rd straight summer at a local hospital that has an affiliation with a med school I'm interested in. I've enjoyed it and I thought a 3rd summer might show some consistency of commitment.

Another option would be to pursue a summer research program (somewhere out of town as the community I live in does not have such opportunities). There are some out there like with the NIH.

A third option would be to just get a job and save some money for college.

Does it matter what you do the summer after high school? I'd be happy doing any of these three things as they all have their advantages.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on which college you get into. For me, personally, I wish I spent my summer taking General Education requirements for my university, as it's a pain to do them in the school year with the pre-requisites, especially if it's in a subject that is low on interest for me. GEs can typically be taken at a CC and not reflect poorly on a transcript, which is a plus.

Some other ideas are:
1) Reach out to professors at your university who conduct research in an area you are interested in, and see if either they have opportunities for you or could refer you to someone else.
2) Find the syllabi of the courses you plan on taking, and if you find the content difficult, it may be a smart choice to get ahead by reading the associated textbook to a few sections, watching videos on the content, or working out practice problems.
3) Scout out some of the student organizations on-campus that are of interest to you. This doesn't have to be medically related, as it could be a special interests organization (e.g. culture, politics).

Reactions: 1 users
Save summer research for the summer after you begin college. You'll have a more robust skill set and a greater fund of knowledge to bring to the bench.

A job that allows you to interact with the public is a good training ground for medicine as you will be dealing with the public, including people you've never met before, as well as people you may interact with on a regular basis, as a physician. Most jobs require some teamwork which is another important skill to build. And putting aside some money that you'll need after you start college is good too.

If you can manage one shift (even 4 hours/week) at the hospital, then you'll be able to list all the hours, including those in HS, on your application. Bonus points if you can do some volunteering over holiday/vacation time while in college. Showing that you maintained your volunteer activity over a long period is very valuable information for adcoms.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say i remember being on this forum back in highschool (quite some time ago as i approach applying to residency), i wish i would've just taken it easy the summer before college. The journey only ever allows you less and less free time. Enjoy your youth within reason.

Reactions: 1 users