College freshman - where can I learn how to get into top tier medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

okarin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a rising freshman interested in majoring in neuroscience and specializing in endocrinology. Can some people please share resources where I can learn more about how to get into a top tier med school? Some questions I have include:
  1. What activities are helpful to get into a top tier med school?
  2. What resources are available for preparing for the MCAT and when should I start studying to get as high a score as possible?
  3. What will make my application stand out?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Start using the search function
2. Easily find the answers to above questions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
1. Start using the search function
2. Easily find the answers to above questions

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Thanks for the quick response! I tried using the search function, but I couldn't find more general answers to these broad questions. I could only find specific answers to questions about specific activities. It would be a big help if some forum members could share particular resources to learn more generally about how to get into a good med school / info about activities / MCAT prep. I was hoping that maybe there would be some general posts to help inform students who are just getting started on their pre-med experience! If you know of any of these kinds of posts please link me to them. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
skill one - learn to be a good internet searcher...

its all out there on sdn...break it down into smaller searches and compile it all and post it for others

go to a top undergrad
get a great gpa 3.8+, be consistent, no pre-reqs in summer at cc
volunteer in community long term
do research
study for mcat, dont take it until you consistently score your target score 34+, Goal to take ONCE!
build strong relationships with professors for recommendations
don't do stupid things, no cheating, dui's, alcohol violations
shadow
manage application timeline, early application, quick secondary turnaround
strong essays and secondary, soul seek, find you passion for doing this, be sincere
practice practice practice interviewing

I am a rising freshman interested in majoring in neuroscience and specializing in endocrinology. Can some people please share resources where I can learn more about how to get into a top tier med school? Some questions I have include:
  1. Engage in activities you enjoy. If you enjoy helping others, find an activity that gives you an opportunity to help those who are unable to help themselves, particularly those who could not afford to pay for what they need whether it is after school tutoring and mentoring, adult literacy help, food, friendly visitors, care at the end of life. If you think that you are interested in endocrinology, try to get the opportunity to shadow at least one physician who treats patients with diabetes (the most common endocrine disease in America) as well as some other physicians. The purpose is to see what medicine is all about and see if it is right for you. Find time to have fun and develop skills and interests outside of medicine that you'd be happy to talk about during an interview. That can be athletic, artistic, advocacy for a cause you feel strongly about, or even entrepreneurial.
    [*]What resources are available for preparing for the MCAT and when should I start studying to get as high a score as possible?
    Most applicants I've talked with report starting 10-24 weeks out from the exam date. If you've learned the material in school, you just need to refresh your recollection and learn how the test works. Taking practice tests and focusing your further studying based on your weaknesses is a good strategy. It is a long test and building the stamina to sit through it is important.
    [*]What will make my application stand out?
Be genuine. Be excited about learning new things and discovering what has previously been unknown. Be realistic about what a career in medicine is. Be compassionate toward the sick and the poor. Be willing to work hard.Be willing to be part of a team. Demonstrate your past experiences involving hard work, discovery, team work and compassionate service to others.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks so much everyone for your responses! :) :) Sorry I didn't find that stickied post ahah

Keep in mind that while a lot of the advice on SDN is great, blanket advice must necessarily apply to the "average" applicant (whether it's SDN average or real-life average) and so you should keep that in mind when you read these forums. An excellent example is MCAT. Many people on here recommend hundreds of hours/months of MCAT study with structured notecards, note-writing/re-writing, etc. that is not necessarily if you are at the upper end of the spectrum and not sufficient if you are at the lower end.

If you want to go to a top tier medical school then be a top tier applicant. Be awesome in every way. If you are awesome and URM then even better. Getting into a top tier school is a crap shoot.

Reactions: 1 users
Buy this book:

Amazon product

Shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine.

2. What resources are available for preparing for the MCAT and when should I start studying to get as high a score as possible?
  3. What will make my application stand out?

Thanks in advance!