College Grad Can't Get Credit Card

Started by Matt105
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Matt105

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Graduated college last May (1 year ago) and have had a job as Lab Tech with steady income for 8-9 months now. I've been trying to get a credit card because I figure now is as good a time as any to start building up my credit. Well, the problem is that I have absolutely nothing on my credit report and I can't get a card. I've tried 6-7 different ones ranging from an Amazon card, to an Old Navy/Target card, to a Discover card, to a Visa/Amex card and tried going through my bank. I feel like I am out of options. All of them denied me saying Insufficient Credit History. I've heard other card companies can tell if you were denied by others and it looks bad, well.. I didn't know what else to do except apply for others..

WTF am I supposed to do, totally in a catch 22 right now 👎 Anyone have any suggestions?

And for those who are wondering, "Why do you even need a card?" Well, I Just want to start building credit so further on down the road I will be more likely to be accepted for loans and the like. I am a very financially responsible person and would always pay the balance each month. I'm 23 years old BTW.
 
This is a message board for premed students and physicians, so I'm not sure you'll get a lot of great advice here. I can tell you that the whole credit situation sucks right now and probably will get better in a few months.
I'll bet you could have gotten a credit card while you were a student...usually credit card companies solicit college students a lot. Can you not get one of those check cards from your bank, that can be used as either a credit card or a check card? I guess I'm just surprised you can't get any type of credit card, even with no credit history at all.
 
It would have been much easier for you to get a card in college. I'm really surprised that the retail stores turned you down. They usually accept just about anyone for credit. Maybe you should have your name added to one of your parent's credit cards and then you have access to the online banking too and you can pay the bill for your share of purchases.

It's not bad if you are denied. It is bad that you are applying for so much credit at one time on top of having nonexistent credit. Don't you have any kind of rent, loans, or anything? They are looking at your income and assets. Perhaps you should save up a bit before applying again? You might also want to wait a bit before applying again. If you are unable to get any kind of regular credit card, you might have to settle for secured credit, which allows the credit card company to seize your assets that are linked to the account if you don't pay.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had this exact same problem. I finished school and starting working full time for the year before med school. With regular income, I decided that I should get a credit card and start building some credit history. When I went to apply for cards, I was denied due to lack of credit history.

My solution was to get a secured credit card (some previous posters mentioned these in passing, I am going to give you the down and dirty). Apparently these used to be more common, but fewer banks offer them now and fewer people know about them. With a secured card, you deposit some money with a bank and then they issue you a card. For my card, I could deposit anywhere from $300 to $10,0000 and the amount of my deposit was the credit limit for my Visa card (I just took $500 out of my savings and used it as my deposit, I just considered it to be like another kind of savings account). After 9-12 months of using your card and making your payments on time, the bank will return your deposit and change your card to an unsecured, normal credit card. And during your secured period, your credit activity will be reported to the three major credit bureaus. I am at the end of my secured period and my bank told me that I would be getting my deposit back in the next month and that they would even change my card to a rewards program card with a higher credit limit.

My secured Visa card was through Bank of America, you may be able to find others. The only drawback to a secured card is that most of them charge you some form of annual fee ($30 for the BofA card).

Hope this helps.
 
My God, how the times have changed.

It seems like yesterday when companies threw 20 grand credit lines from little kiosks at you while you were stumbling drunk at Cal Berkeley football games....ah those were the days.
 
Get a CapitalOne credit card. They'll start you at $300 since you do not have credit but eventually you'll start getting offers from Chase and other banks. You'll also get increase in your C1 credit line after sometime.
 
I'd advise you to just wait. When the economy recovers, everyone's short term memory will kick in and credit card standards will once again fall making it easier for you to receive a card to start to build (or ruin) your credit history.
 
Yes,
do try to establish credit now,
make small purchases per month.....and pay it off every month.

DO NOT overbuy and start making monthly payments, or you will be hosed.

Credit is very tight now even for well established people.

Try getting something from Best Buy on credit - then pay it off fast., .........but the secured bank card is the best idea..........
Pass on getting a debit card, there is NO fraud protection, you are protected from identy theft with credit cards.
Remember you do not have to be stuck with making monthly payments to establish good credit.
Simply NEVER BUT NEVER make a late payment.

( welcom to the real ......nasty.....world)

foil
 
The more times you're denied credit, the harder it is for the next lender to decide to approve your application for credit. Another way for first-timers to establish a credit rating is to apply for a loan that you repay before you actually get the money. After repaying a $500 loan, for example, you'll have $500 plus a good payment record -- and the rest will be credit history.
 
So much misinformation in this thread (like creditors magically "knowing" if someone is denied credit -- hard inquiries are visible but the outcome of the underwriting process is private information that isn't revealed on one's credit report). Or that a debit card is reported to credit reporting agencies and helps build one's credit history.

Matt105, I would have to agree that a secured credit card would be the way to go -- at least for the first several months (maybe 9-12), but the question then becomes WHICH secured credit card, because there's a ton of rip-offs out there in this category that can charge ridiculous application fees, initiation fees, and annual fees -- all adding up to hundreds of $$ per year. The good secured cards have just an upfront annual fee (mine was like $35/year and I kept it one year only.)

Step 1: Go to https://www.annualcreditreport.com and get your free credit reports (and print them) from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion. You can do this for free once a year, and that site is the "official" portal as recognized by the FACT Act. Turn down all the offers for score watching and all the other crap -- just get your free reports.

Take note of how many hard inquiries you have on each report (they will be different) and what dates they occurred.

Step 2: Go to http://creditboards/com/forums and read the Credit Subforum and do searches for "secured card" and such. There's some ones with good reputations like the BoA 99/500 card and Citi's. And some of Orchard Bank's. And there's also quite a lot to avoid like Aspire, First Premier, etc. I also highly recommend the rest of those forums depending on what interests you. Maybe even start with the FAQs and Beginner's Section too: there's a lot to read on that site and I've spent hundreds of hours there.

Step 3: Once you get good advice on which secured card to apply for, your limit will likely be = your deposit (1:1 ratio) or something pretty close. The math will then be easy on this. If you put down $500 and get a $500 credit limit on your one card, try your very best to not use more than 30% of that limit. Or hell, ideally, keep it as close to 1% if you can, even if that means paying down your balance before your monthly statement is cut and the balance is reported to the CRAs (Credit Reporting Agencies: TransUnion, Equifax, Experian). This will be in your favor to maximize your FICO scores (read up on how that's computed if you aren't familiar) as quickly as possible and will accelerate your transition to unsecured credit cards. That way you don't keep your secured credit card for more than a year or two and can close it after you've moved to greener pastures.

Step 4: Read up (on those forums) on the current leading cards people move up to after having their secured cards for awhile. After a certain time period (maybe 9 months? Check up on that...) you'll finally have enough data to have a FICO score for each of the 3 CRAs, which you should get at http://www.myfico.com (see credit boards forums for good discount codes!!!). I highly recommend this step. Once you know what your scores are (maybe in the 600's), you'll be able to look at their really nice "Credit Pulls Database" and cross-reference what cards have high acceptance rates for people with similar FICO scores to you -- that way you won't have to worry about getting rejected so often. I totally dig that member perk.

Good luck! Lotta reading to do but in hindsight the knowledge is totally worth it!
 
Last edited:
I would try going to your bank to get one generally you can at least get one with a super low credit limit.
00.gif
 
couple other things to add:

credit unions tend to be pretty friendly to their members. It'd be a thought to use one for your banking for a few months and then discuss this with them. Many of these don't require association with any specific group; they try to assist customers in the community/area they're in. They do not pay tax (at least federal, I don't think they pay state either) and therefore can offer cheaper loans and still cover their expenses.

I used to work in an area that used credit scores. Having a card open for a while is good. Paying it off in full every month is not great for increasing the score -- better option (if the goal is to increase credit score) is to run a balance, maybe 40% of available credit limit or lower, and make monthly payments on it. This will show that you can make timely payments over a long time period, which is a good sign if a bank is looking to loan you money to buy a car, house, or whatever.

I've not heard anything about being rejected for credit being a negative thing; if you have hits on your credit score (applying for a card, bank loan, mortgage, etc) your credit score will decrease temporarily. But I don't believe that when I looked at refinancing my mortgage 6 months ago, and then decided not to as closing costs were higher than I wanted, that anyone reviewing my credit history will know that I decided not to refinance versus the bank turning me down for a refinance. The credit score will just show that the bank pulled my credit.
 
Agree with WCI. Piggybacking is by far the fastest, easiest way to establish credit. Everything else is just a hassle.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Your situation is rough. However, I would echo the above statement about checking your own credit score.

However, since it appears you can't get a credit card on your own name, your only real options are a secured card or piggybacking on someone else's card who will let you as stated above.

Also, since you don't seem to "need" the credit and just want to establish it for later, just buy like something small on it every month and keep it on autopay. Then every once in awhile you can try to raise the limit if you want.

-Sensei