College Park vs UMBC

walterbishop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got accepted to both schools! I'm having a hard time deciding which school to go to.

Which school is better for a biology major?

I know UMBC is known for their strong science program but I am worried that they go out of their way to make science courses harder just so that they can collect awards and brag.

Members don't see this ad.

As a person who got accepted to both, do not even think about going to UMBC. Their science program is significantly more competitive and everyone is a gunner. UMCP is a real college, teachers are better, campus is better, there are more research opportunities, the average gpa is nearly .3 higher than UMBC's ( curve is B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC, and UMCP students are more frequently accepted to medical schools.

That being said, if you can go to a smaller college like Towson or McDaniel I recommend that over either UMCP or UMBC, you'll come out with a higher gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a person who got accepted to both, do not even think about going to UMBC. Their science program is significantly more competitive and everyone is a gunner. UMCP is a real college, teachers are better, campus is better, there are more research opportunities, the average gpa is nearly .3 higher than UMBC's ( curve is B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC, and UMCP students are more frequently accepted to medical schools.

That being said, if you can go to a smaller college like Towson or McDaniel I recommend that over either UMCP or UMBC, you'll come out with a higher gpa.

thanks, what do you mean when you say curve is "B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC" and how is UMBC's science program more competitive?

Well it's hard to explain, but basically in college the grading system is a bit different. So for example, lets say the classes average is a 60%, you have a 61%, at UMCP you have a B- as the class is curved/ you are bumped up to a B grade. It functions on class rank really. At UMBC this is likewise the case, except the classes are curved towards a C/C-, so being above average such as percent or two = a C or C+.

UMBC is more gunnerish, a lot of the classes are designed to make you repeat them and a lot of students spend their entire weekends in study groups preparing for their tests. I generally think UMCP is a significantly more relaxed atmosphere. You have kids in the Meyerhoff program repeating cell bio at UMBC very frequently.

I can see that, I got the feeling that umbc goes out of their way to make classes harder just for bragging rights.

Thanks a lot serenade and good luck in your academic endeavors!

No problem if you have any questions send me a PM.