• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

walterbishop

Apr 19, 2012
Status (Visible)
Got accepted to both schools! I'm having a hard time deciding which school to go to.

Which school is better for a biology major?

I know UMBC is known for their strong science program but I am worried that they go out of their way to make science courses harder just so that they can collect awards and brag.

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
As a person who got accepted to both, do not even think about going to UMBC. Their science program is significantly more competitive and everyone is a gunner. UMCP is a real college, teachers are better, campus is better, there are more research opportunities, the average gpa is nearly .3 higher than UMBC's ( curve is B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC, and UMCP students are more frequently accepted to medical schools.

That being said, if you can go to a smaller college like Towson or McDaniel I recommend that over either UMCP or UMBC, you'll come out with a higher gpa.

About the Ads

walterbishop

Apr 19, 2012
Status (Visible)
As a person who got accepted to both, do not even think about going to UMBC. Their science program is significantly more competitive and everyone is a gunner. UMCP is a real college, teachers are better, campus is better, there are more research opportunities, the average gpa is nearly .3 higher than UMBC's ( curve is B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC, and UMCP students are more frequently accepted to medical schools.

That being said, if you can go to a smaller college like Towson or McDaniel I recommend that over either UMCP or UMBC, you'll come out with a higher gpa.

thanks, what do you mean when you say curve is "B/B- at UMCP, C/C- at UMBC" and how is UMBC's science program more competitive?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
10+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Well it's hard to explain, but basically in college the grading system is a bit different. So for example, lets say the classes average is a 60%, you have a 61%, at UMCP you have a B- as the class is curved/ you are bumped up to a B grade. It functions on class rank really. At UMBC this is likewise the case, except the classes are curved towards a C/C-, so being above average such as percent or two = a C or C+.

UMBC is more gunnerish, a lot of the classes are designed to make you repeat them and a lot of students spend their entire weekends in study groups preparing for their tests. I generally think UMCP is a significantly more relaxed atmosphere. You have kids in the Meyerhoff program repeating cell bio at UMBC very frequently.

walterbishop

Apr 19, 2012
Status (Visible)
I can see that, I got the feeling that umbc goes out of their way to make classes harder just for bragging rights.

Thanks a lot serenade and good luck in your academic endeavors!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.