collegiate ECs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrSunny1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A large majority of the schools I am applying to have a question specifically asking for collegiate ECs. I went to a large state school with few opportunities or at least it was easy to not be involved and rather focus your time on being a football fan.. I was hardly even aware of intramural sports or whatever other organizations there were. I did however go to the recreation center every day for 4 years playing basketball, football, volleyball, tons of racquetball, and yet im guessing that doesnt count? I have done the regular volunteering, shadowing, and community service that that occupied a large percentage of my time as well as maintaining a 20 hour per week job for 4 years.

So do I just leave that entire question blank? or should I should I just write a list of non collegiate activities that I did?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that they want to know how you spent your time in college aside from classes & required labs.

Engaged in pick-up games of ------ and regular physical activity
Volunteering
Shadowing
Community Service
Employment

Members don't see this ad :)
I did however go to the recreation center every day for 4 years playing basketball, football, volleyball, tons of racquetball...

This sounds like ECs to me. Why not include it?
I'm not sure the term "collegiate extra-curriculars" means activities associated with a college, but rather ECs done while in college. Don't take my word on this, but this is how it seems to me and I think I recall a few people saying something similar on some of the school-specific threads. Can anyone else confirm this?

This sounds like ECs to me. Why not include it?
I'm not sure the term "collegiate extra-curriculars" means activities associated with a college, but rather ECs done while in college. Don't take my word on this, but this is how it seems to me and I think I recall a few people saying something similar on some of the school-specific threads. Can anyone else confirm this?

If collegiate doesn't mean college affiliated then I am in the clear, but I was almost certain it did. I guess I will list the activities I did, the things that weren't really covered in my work/activites. I think they are probably trying to see what your interests are outside of medical school requirements..

I am very interested in world affairs, politics, and healthcare reform and I would like to have a way of putting that into my application but unfortunately I was in no college affiliated student government or other clubs any ideas?

I am very interested in world affairs, politics, and healthcare reform and I would like to have a way of putting that into my application but unfortunately I was in no college affiliated student government or other clubs any ideas?

I'm in the same boat. My plan is to cross my fingers and hope I get interviews so it'll come up there. I never really liked clubs; they seem so artificial.

Isn't it preferred that all your ECs are "patient"-oriented activity? For example, if you know how to sing, you might want to use that skill to sing in front of patients to promote psychological relief (I know I'm making this sound more deep that it may actually be). It wouldn't look so good on your resume if you just write down "I know how to sing," because you're going to be a doctor, and Med schools like to see that you already have a clinical mindset.

Isn't it preferred that all your ECs are "patient"-oriented activity? For example, if you know how to sing, you might want to use that skill to sing in front of patients to promote psychological relief (I know I'm making this sound more deep that it may actually be). It wouldn't look so good on your resume if you just write down "I know how to sing," because you're going to be a doctor, and Med schools like to see that you already have a clinical mindset.

No. Med schools want to see real people, not robots with no other interest than medicine. You want enough clinical activities to show dedication and knowledge of the field, activities that demonstrate a willingness to serve others, and activities related to neither that show what type of person you are and what your interests are. If you force everything you do into some "this is related to medicine because..." mold, you will be seen as trying too hard.

No. Med schools want to see real people, not robots with no other interest than medicine. You want enough clinical activities to show dedication and knowledge of the field, activities that demonstrate a willingness to serve others, and activities related to neither that show what type of person you are and what your interests are. If you force everything you do into some "this is related to medicine because..." mold, you will be seen as trying too hard.

I 100% agree with this and Is why I am disappointed that it says "collegiate" thus filtering out activities that I did. I guess I will just list my interests and hobbies that I enjoy certainly better than leaving an entire essay blank.

I 100% agree with this and Is why I am disappointed that it says "collegiate" thus filtering out activities that I did. I guess I will just list my interests and hobbies that I enjoy certainly better than leaving an entire essay blank.

I still think that they are not necessarily looking for EC's directly related to your college, but the time while you were in college. It proves that you were not ONLY a student.

LizzyM is right, if nothing you did in terms of your EC's were directly related or within your school, regular hobbies seem appropriate.