collision theory

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zriceman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In destroyer, the solution to GChem Question 78 states "More reactants will decrease the chance for a fruitfull collision"

I thought according to collision theory more reactants will INCREASE chance of reaction.

any thoughts out there?

Members don't see this ad.

not using destroyer, but they probably mean that more reactants that are different molecules decrease the chance of appropriate collision (since there are way more things to bump into, the odds of getting the right one is less). on the other hand, having more moles of reactants if there's just two or whatever would increase the chance just out of probability.

hope that helps!

i remember this question...
are you talking about the
2x + 2y = w + z ???

if you are... look at it this way.

There is a cup that holds 200 X and 200 Y things...

Now, from what I recall the question asks which one is LEAST favorable, right??

with that said... It still does happen (Reactions between X and Y) but don't forget that (X and X) and (Y and Y) can also collide with eachother.
Therefore, many of them will just by (XX) and (XY) and there will be (XY) as well and if you look on the other choices this is the only one that will have something making it NOT as favorable.

I hope this helps.

I hate teaching... I just wanna extract teeth. LOL

Good Luck