Colon cancer question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

housemd

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goljan says the most common place for colon cancer is rectosigmoid (>50%). UW World says it is the ascending colon with rectosigmoid second. I think Goljan is definitely right. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Goljan says the most common place for colon cancer is rectosigmoid (>50%). UW World says it is the ascending colon with rectosigmoid second. I think Goljan is definitely right. What do you guys think?

i vote for rectosigmoid. but really, there's never gonna be a question where the only way to answer would be to know that fact. if you're choosing between ascending colon and sigmoid colon, it's usually an issue of right sided colon cancers (bleeding, fatigue, anemia, etc.) vs left sided colon cancers (circumferential, obstruction, colicky pain). that distinction will get you the answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's funny, because I ran across the same question today. I looked it up in "Feldman: Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease, 8th ed., 2006" and they have ascending colon as 25%, rectosigmoid as 10%, rectum as 20%, and sigmoid as 25%. :laugh:

oh no, could it be that Goljan is wrong? Sorry blz, I thought you were done. Welcome back