Columbia Acceptance Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

summersy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im from Ohio and interviewed at Columbia on September 21 and really loved the experience. I know that it is my top choice (Drs. Davis and McManus were great), but what was wondering if anyone knew the relative acceptance rate after the interview? Does Columbia interview alot of candidates? If anyone could shed light on this situation it would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Im from Ohio and interviewed at Columbia on September 21 and really loved the experience. I know that it is my top choice (Drs. Davis and McManus were great), but what was wondering if anyone knew the relative acceptance rate after the interview? Does Columbia interview alot of candidates? If anyone could shed light on this situation it would be appreciated.

Well.. our letters said that they interview only Fridays. 16 people filled the table at my interview, and there are around 10 Fridays before December 1st. So if they fill/filled the table at each interview, 160 people before December 1st for a class of 75. They probably don't over-accept too much, but if 75 acceptances exactly go out, that's about a 50% chance. So they may as well flip a coin..oof :rolleyes:

Anyway, I really liked Columbia, too!! Good luck! :)

Well.. our letters said that they interview only Fridays. 16 people filled the table at my interview, and there are around 10 Fridays before December 1st. So if they fill/filled the table at each interview, 160 people before December 1st for a class of 75. They probably don't over-accept too much, but if 75 acceptances exactly go out, that's about a 50% chance. So they may as well flip a coin..oof :rolleyes:

Anyway, I really liked Columbia, too!! Good luck! :)

It's going to vary from interview to interview, and besides I don't think they are necessarily going to interview every single Friday. Let's also not forget that they are also going to interview as significant portion of people after dec. 1st, albeit for fewer seats, so I actually think that interviewing early right now is higher than 50%: about 70-80%, I'd say. As long as you didn't mess up and say something egregiously bad chances are on your side.

Members don't see this ad :)
they even accepted President ahmadinejad to vent out...lol:D

they even accepted President ahmadinejad to vent out...lol:D

Ha, regardless of that happening, I still can't wait for my interview in two weeks......Any bits of advice??

It's going to vary from interview to interview, and besides I don't think they are necessarily going to interview every single Friday. Let's also not forget that they are also going to interview as significant portion of people after dec. 1st, albeit for fewer seats, so I actually think that interviewing early right now is higher than 50%: about 70-80%, I'd say. As long as you didn't mess up and say something egregiously bad chances are on your side.

Well, I was trying to be conservative on my estimate... a 50% chance or so is still pretty good, I think, considering the less than 20% (pulling that number out of the air, but it's definitely less than 50) chance we had of getting interviews in the first place.

As for advice... Just be yourself and know your AADSAS application. You'll meet a lot of people throughout the course of the day, so be on guard with lots of questions.

I was hoping the odds would be good. I know it is still going to be tuff because there are so many qualified applicants. With the interview day it is nice and Drs. McManus and Davis are hilarious. Be yourself and enjoy the presentation that you will receive about the school. Interviews are not bad they just want to get to know you, because they are representing you to the committee (which is normal).

You have to also think that if they interview approx. 160 people before Dec. 1st, they must accept almost more than their planned class size.....most of the students being interviewd before Dec. 1st will have a lot of interviews, and a lot of acceptances.........they will definitly not get everyone they accept.....

SHOW YOUR PASSION !!
I believe that's the most important.

Good Luck

You have to also think that if they interview approx. 160 people before Dec. 1st, they must accept almost more than their planned class size.....most of the students being interviewd before Dec. 1st will have a lot of interviews, and a lot of acceptances.........they will definitly not get everyone they accept.....

Here is the way I look at it. They are probably going to do interviews from 9/21 to early-November. So that's seven Fridays and assuming they do each one with an average size of 15 applicants, that's ~100 applicants. Their class size is 75, so very likely they might aim for something like 60-65 acceptances and work from there. Assuming that is the case, you are probably looking at ~60% based on chance alone.

One thing that McManus made very clear during my interview was that they are under strict orders to *not* over-accept. Therefore, I tend to think that they will play conservative, so a 60-65 acceptances with the accompanying declines from multiply-accepted individuals sounds like a good starting point. There will also be those who are placed on waiting list who might eventually get in as well.

A final point is that the interview is still only a part of the overall evaluation. For those whose stats were "borderline" in the interviewed pool, an average or subpar interview experience will hurt far more than those with great stats with the same interview results. I always tell people to just relax, be calm and composed no matter what the situation is, and basically treat the interview as a chance to see if the school is *right for you*, which is very important as well. You don't want to spend four years in a place that you do not like, so it is important to see if you like the school as well. Personally, I thought that McManus and Davis were cool folks, the students as a whole quite interesting, and the program very good. The only drawback, if any, is that the facility is a little older than I thought it would be, but that's not a big deal. I would certainly seriously consider going there if I were accepted.

It's written on the ADEA Office Guide to Dental School that Columbia interviews about 10% of all applicants. From their website, it seems like 3% of all applicants get accepted(or rather enroll into their program). I agree with Shunwei that Columbia will not over-accept students. Dr.McManus said lots of students want to come to Columbia, so over accepting students will actually cause chaos.

I really like the curriculum at Columbia, and the feeling of being part of a family there. I hope we will all get in!!! :D

Taken from the Columbia FAQ (http://dental.columbia.edu/education/faqs.htm) for those applying 03-04; there were 1360 applicants of those, 256 were interviewed, a 19% interview rate. Of the people interviewed 75 enrolled a 29% rate. Of course, as with any dental school, more acceptances are given than people that enroll because some get several acceptances but can only choose 1 school. Columbia looks like it is a top school for alot of people though. Just stay positive.