Columbia Anesthesiology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justAstudent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current or recent anesthesiology residents from NY presbyterian Columbia? I interviewed at the program and really liked it but a lot of the stuff I’m reading online about the program didn’t sound too great. The residents I spoke with during my time at the hospital made the place sound great. I’d love to speak to someone who can give me an honest assessment of the program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any current or recent anesthesiology residents from NY presbyterian Columbia? I interviewed at the program and really liked it but a lot of the stuff I’m reading online about the program didn’t sound too great. The residents I spoke with during my time at the hospital made the place sound great. I’d love to speak to someone who can give me an honest assessment of the program.

posts like this make zero sense to me. you went there, liked it, talked to a bunch of residents IN PERSON, who also said they liked the program. then you come to an internet message board to ask a bunch of random posters for info on the program????

Reactions: 1 users
"The residents I spoke with during my time at the hospital made the place sound great. I’d love to speak to someone who can give me an honest assessment of the program."

Agree with buccsmf1. You spoke to the ultimate source. Even if the online posts after this are bad remember what your gut and personal experience told you on your interview day.

Members don't see this ad :)
posts like this make zero sense to me. you went there, liked it, talked to a bunch of residents IN PERSON, who also said they liked the program. then you come to an internet message board to ask a bunch of random posters for info on the program????

Unless you have some reason to not believe them (e.g. they were talking with their PD watching behind their back), it doesn't get more honest than the source. I admit that I glossed over the low points during dinners, but I was honest when asked directly. What we all (SDN) may have heard of the program is much less reliable.

You only meet a few residents during interview/dinner, and often times they are selected by the department (not sure if true for columbia). So I can see why there may be bias, it's not unreasonable to ask on a forum about it =\. I dont know much about it but when I was a med student a while ago, word of mouth was that the culture isn't as good as the other big NYC programs. Again dont know if true since i dont go there, and this was a few years ago
For me i took what i got during the interview day with a grain of salt since every program will make their program sound good.

You only meet a few residents during interview/dinner, and often times they are selected by the department (not sure if true for columbia). So I can see why there may be bias, it's not unreasonable to ask on a forum about it =\. I dont know much about it but when I was a med student a while ago, word of mouth was that the culture isn't as good as the other big NYC programs. Again dont know if true since i dont go there, and this was a few years ago
For me i took what i got during the interview day with a grain of salt since every program will make their program sound good.

I remember the residents being very honest on interview day here and in general. I never bought what the admins tried to sell at interview day though.

Columbia got a new chair a few years ago and from what I have heard, the program turned out. New chair invites classes to his house for barbecues, takes them to museums etc. hired New crnas, increased after hours moonlighting pay and spots. Supposed to be very approachable and, from what I’ve heard, has an open door policy for residents. Works in the OR with CA1s.

Other pros I’ve heard: only program in Manhattan with sick kids due to chony, highest paid residency in New York, free meals at the hospital cafeteria, very early exposure to subspecialties (hearts, sick ob and sick kids as CA-1), takes their own for fellowships, recent job placements have been excellent with residents joining partnership tracks where they do their own cases, most Attending’s are supposed to be good and pretty hands off. Intern year seems very chill.

Last edited:
I think OP is fishing for some negative reviews of the program. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. When you come off a good interview at a place that everyone sings synchronized praises, it does leave you with a sense of doubt as if something is off. I remember interviewing there years ago. I had a ****ty interviewer and I immediately crossed it off my list. A buddy of mine did cardiac fellowship there years later and worked his butt off during that year. It's a good residency program though as far as i know. You will come out a solid practitioner.

I think OP is fishing for some negative reviews of the program. I don't think there is anything wrong with that. When you come off a good interview at a place that everyone sings synchronized praises, it does leave you with a sense of doubt as if something is off. I remember interviewing there years ago. I had a ****ty interviewer and I immediately crossed it off my list. A buddy of mine did cardiac fellowship there years later and worked his butt off during that year. It's a good residency program though as far as i know. You will come out a solid practitioner.

i think its cause interview day prob went good but lot of negative reviews on scutworks or online or something