Columbia combined program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dootdoodooo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Columbia's PRS program. I know they have a fellowship, but I am confused as to if they have a combined program for a PGY-1 spot. All of the integrated match lists only refer to NY Presbyterian-Cornell, with no direct mention of Columbia (FREIDA is the same way, no Columbia mention). The the Columbia website says they have one PGY-1 spot each year though. Is that part of the NYP-Cornell program? I'm asking because I would like to know if doing an away rotation there would be an audition rotation, or just an experience where I could learn some things and get a letter but not potentially be offered an interview because they don't have any PGY-1 spots.

Also, the only plastics rotation it looks like they offer is a preceptorship, not a Sub-I. Would that still be worth it? This is all hypothetical since I haven't actually had an offer confirmed or anything, but I'm just curious. I want to have interesting learning experiences in new places, but getting exposure to programs and potential interviews is important too.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The PRS program is joint between Cornell and Columbia. Residents rotate through Columbia, Cornell, Harlem Hospital, Lennox Hill, and MSK. The program director operates frequently at Columbia, so it would be an audition rotation.

Yeah, there are technically no more plastic surgery 'fellowships' in terms of base plastic surgery training, only residencies, so you are right about that. Columbia/Cornell is now an integrated 6-year program. For aways, I would recommend doing an away at Cornell where the bulk of their procedures are. Columbia is where the program director is, but as many of these forums have talked about, getting face time with him is not as important as how much your residents like you. Columbia's campus does primarily tissue-expander based breast recon with the occasional free flap, whereas Cornell does a lot more reconstructive surgery throughout the body. In addition, the residents spend most of their time at Cornell and live there, so it will give you a better idea of what it would be like to be a resident there. If you'd prefer to rotate at Columbia where the chief/program director is, ask if you can spend some time down at the Cornell campus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. Both of those responses were very helpful.

Does anyone have more information about the structure and style of the away rotation at Cornell?

Also can anyone comment about the general strength of this combined program?