Moving from categorical to combined plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

superspeed

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

I'm a MSIV currently applying for general surgery. I had the chance to observe a few awesome cases in plastics and am strongly considering it. I was pretty into vascular, but the fine anastomosis and nature of the work translates pretty well into plastics. That being said, it's too late to have a competitive application for combined plastics (have 2 away rotations lined up in non-plastics, and the apps get sent out in like 2 months), and I have no plastics research. Step 1 and 2CK are good (250 / 270).

Question is - I'm going through with general surgery and planning on doing a fellowship. Didn't discover plastics until it was pretty late in the game. Is it possible to apply within the program that I'm at to get into their combined 3+3 plastics program after say PGY1, 2 or 3? Or at this point I have to do the year or 2 of research then apply for the fellowship? I know the programs won't be too happy about a categorical switching to a 3+3...

Thanks!
 
The other option may be to take a surgery transitional year instead of applying to gen surg, and apply to plastics next year. Or if your school is open to it, take a research year and push graduation to 2014.
 
Speak to the chief of plastic surgery at your medical school immediately. Explain that you decided late and get his/her advice and guidance.

I don't think that it's too late to try to apply to an integrated plastic surgery residency. Your step I & 2 scores are good, and if the rest of your application is strong, you have a shot.