Moving from categorical to combined plastics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superspeed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a MSIV currently applying for general surgery. I had the chance to observe a few awesome cases in plastics and am strongly considering it. I was pretty into vascular, but the fine anastomosis and nature of the work translates pretty well into plastics. That being said, it's too late to have a competitive application for combined plastics (have 2 away rotations lined up in non-plastics, and the apps get sent out in like 2 months), and I have no plastics research. Step 1 and 2CK are good (250 / 270).

Question is - I'm going through with general surgery and planning on doing a fellowship. Didn't discover plastics until it was pretty late in the game. Is it possible to apply within the program that I'm at to get into their combined 3+3 plastics program after say PGY1, 2 or 3? Or at this point I have to do the year or 2 of research then apply for the fellowship? I know the programs won't be too happy about a categorical switching to a 3+3...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The other option may be to take a surgery transitional year instead of applying to gen surg, and apply to plastics next year. Or if your school is open to it, take a research year and push graduation to 2014.

Speak to the chief of plastic surgery at your medical school immediately. Explain that you decided late and get his/her advice and guidance.

I don't think that it's too late to try to apply to an integrated plastic surgery residency. Your step I & 2 scores are good, and if the rest of your application is strong, you have a shot.