Columbia/Cornell/NYP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fish

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if I could get some info on the NYP program. Their site states that it is a 4+2 program. Is that still true? Can anyone shed some light on the specifics of this program please?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah I'm a med student working in a plastics lab at Cornell. I asked one of the students taking time off before applying for residency and she said it was an integrated program, which confused me because as you said the website says otherwise. I don't have any official confirmation of this but she would definitely be aware of the current state of the program.

It's a combined program if I recall correctly. The best thing to do is to e-mail their department secretary/coordinator and ask this question.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's a little odd that if you do a google search for columbia plastic surgery residency, you will get this link: http://www.columbiasurgery.org/residency/plastics.html which states that the residency is a 4+2 program. If you look at the bottom left of the page it even has 2009 and 2010 deadlines so it does not appear to be out of date. But the above cornell link states that the program is a 3+3 combined program.

I suspect that this year the match is for a 4+2 combined curriculum but that starting next year the transitions will go to a 3+3 combined curriculum.

Best to e-mail the coordinator and ask.

If you read the website, it says it is a "3 year Independent" program, which means that for M4s this is a combined program, not integrated.

Sorry, yes, combined.

Well, if that's the consensus, it looks like the girl was wrong...

Hey guys, I interviewed there a few weeks ago so I hope this information is the most current. Columbia/Cornell is a 3+3 combined (not integrated) program. They accept 1 applicant into the 3 years of general surgery at Columbia, another 1 applicant into Cornell, and the program then officially combines in the PGY-4 (PS-1) year. At the PGY-4/PS-1 level they also accept an additional independent resident. So the class size from PGY-4 thru PGY-6 is 3 residents per class (9 total), whereas only 2 residents per year are in the combined program from PGY-1 to PGY-3 (6 total).

Hope that helps!