Columbia, First Semester Impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slugchology

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I remember when I considered this whole post-bac thing, this site was helpful, so i'll keep updating as my contribution to those who were in my shoes: unsure, confused about where to apply, and really stressed out about the whole thing.

DECIDING: I picked columbia because i was already in nyc for one year, love the city, have some friends and a few professional connections. As to the whole hunter vs. columbia thing, i figured columbia is a well known school across the nation, whereas the lesser known hunter may limit my ability to return home to CA for medschool. In the end it probably doesnt matter where you take your prereqs, as long as its not 2 year community, but i figured that columbia opens the door to a wider range of schools and higher tiered schools. Im fortunate that my parents had the means to help me out with tuition, so that wasnt an issue.

ADMISSION: Cakewalk. Out of school two years and did americorps one year when i applied. I had 3.47 undergrad from a lesser known UC school in social sciences and a 1350 sat's. In retrospect, i spent more time than neccessary on the application essay because they probably were checking for proper english composition skills moreso than content. Their admission seems pretty cut and dry, and based on your numbers.

COURSES: All postbacs are graded against undergrads and each other for the first year. (See Ersatzious' reply post below for clarification on grading in 2nd year).

Calculus; easy since i had calc in high school. If you pick the wrong professor though, your life can be hell.

Chemistry Lab; It was odd to me that the lab was its own course, but its very difficult, and definitely the weeder class. I hear from 2nd year postbacs that its the only weeder class in the first year. You do learn alot and the class ends two weeks before the normal finals week, which compacts the course and makes it stressful, but allows more time during normal finals week.

Chemistry Lecture: I had an easy professor (Turro) who didnt curve, but i still worked hard. It was fair because if i worked hard, I knew what grade to expect. Exams are cake because they resemble the practice tests, and if there were any trick questions and all the students complain, he waives it off and gives a free point.

POSTBAC CULTURE: After the first exam or so, i made a lot of friends through study groups, and having other people to study with is what got me through the semester. Most people belong to a study group, and i imagine that the high attrition rate is attributable to those who didnt study in groups, those who thought that Columbia was a cakewalk, and those who werent truly sure this is what they wanted to do and got discouraged by one bad quiz. Theres also a sizable amount (<20%) of postbacs that are commuters and still hold down jobs; they operate solo, so i have no clue how well they do. Undergrads do their own thing and resent postbacs for messing up their curve. Postbacs can be annoying at times because their preocupation with grades consumes their life, but thats not unique. The premed association hosts a few social events where they have free drinks and arent stingy about it, so thats cool.

OVERALL: I studied harder this semester than i ever did as an undergrad (sociology), and it paid off: three full-blown A's. For 3 courses, my weekly workload of reading/hw/reports was... ~15 hours outside of lecture, maybe ~20 hours at midterms time. Around finals time... fuhgeddaboutit. I imagine some of my classmates who didnt do as well are stressed out and questioning their decision to blow all this money to go to Columbia. The advisors are sort of helpful; im relatively independent and didnt utilize them except for administrative issues. Columbia is a good no-nonsense school for those who want to grind out a decent GPA, then apply from there. It is definitely not a "hand holding" school. I dont even know what that means because what can crying to your academic advisor do for your grades? The linkages to Brown (no MCAT required, but 3.9 GPA) and Mt. Sinai are appealing, but I have my sights set on home (CA). The students are not as cut throat as i imagined, and most postbacs are cool people who know studying with others is more fun and productive than sabatoging each other or studying secretively. Its slightly annoying that the program is 2 years plus a glide year, but im comfortable because it would be too much for me to take the entire postbac courseload and the MCATs in the same year. This semester i have a light courseload, so im volunteering at a few places and getting a part time job in a lab. Being involved in the clinics and labs gives a good perspective to contrast the schooling. So overall, im having a pretty good time.

Hard work is important, but dont underestimate luck.

If anyone has any questions, dont hesitate to post or PM.

More next semester...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
COURSES: All postbacs are graded against undergrads and each other for the first year. I hear in the second year, postbacs are curved against each other (which is slightly unsettling).

Incorrect. You are never technically curved against solely other postbaccs in either year. However, for Contemporary Biology, you must register for the GS (General Studies) section, which certainly has a high percentage of postbaccs but also includes other GS premedical students, individuals from the second majors program, etc. Also, Mowshowitz sets the cutoffs for the final course grades based on the lower mean of the two groups (usually the undergraduates, thus giving the GS section a slight boost). You have the option of either the regular undergraduate Organic Chemistry (morning) or the more GS-heavy section (evening). Neither the Biology nor Organic Laboratory is postbacc exclusive&#8212;it simply depends on the composition of your class.

I am a recent graduate of the program. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me. I will eventually post my overall impressions/experiences with the program; I simply have not had the time.

Thanks a lot for posting. It's stuff like this that makes SDN truly valuable :thumbup: