Columbia/Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lestat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I realize there were some threads on this forum (and on review.com) regarding students choosing between Hopkins and Columbia. I never looked at them 'coz I never expected to have the choice :( . But, now I do :eek:. Does anyone have any comments on what you would do in such a situation? :confused: I appreciate any help!!!! Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

how come u have a choice now? what changed? did you change your transcripts? :)

WOW Lestat!!!
I'm scared of both schools, but particularly JHU. Thier grading/ranking thing is psycho!!! Not to mention, I love NYC so I would probably choose columbia. Also...have you heard from Yale? I remember reading you were waitlisted. What would you chose if all 3 schools were in the mix?
just curious,
spacecadet

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Spacecadet:
I was on the third tier at Yale's Waiting list, so I withdrew from there (Silverman said I will have a 'decent' chance). I got accepted to Columbia in May. I had sent a withdrawl letter to Hopkins subsequently (I did not want to deal with the uncertainty anymore), but they apparently did not receive it (I am abroad these days), so I received a shocking acceptance from them yesterday (was on the "upper portion" of the waitlist).
Now that I have an acceptance from Hopkins, my peers/parents/professors/advisors invariably urge me to go to Hopkins.
My "gut feel" still goes with Columbia. I have a couple of days to decide....

Hey, you should probably hear from Yale in a couple of weeks then. Good luck!!!

PS: To answer your question, as of today, I would have chosen Columbia over Hopkins and Yale (purely due to personal choice).

Hey spacecadet, what tier are you on the Yale waitlist? I hear that if your first tier your definitely in, second tier still very likely. And third tier still is possible, though not as likely. Bottom line is, though, there's still realistic hope!

Rza,
Silverman says that I'm top of the second tier and that I should get in within the next week if all goes well. I have to say the past couple of days have been agonizing! What are about you? Are you waiting too?
Wish me luck!
--space

Congats lestat!

What a wonderful dilemma -- I don't think you can go wrong. :)

Hopkins is a fantastic place for many reasons, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find an unhappy student here. The grading system is actually extremely low-key (85% of us get a B in any given course)... far from psycho. :)

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions or concerns about Hopkins -- [email protected].

Congratulations!

doepug
MSII, Johns Hopkins

Hey spacecadet, Yeah, I'm waitlisted, too. And apparently I am somewhere in the middle of the second tier so I think I may be borderline since things are moving slower this year. Being in the top of the second tier, you should have no problems! Good luck and let us know when the good news comes!