Columbia interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAGIRL

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently set up an interview at Columbia University, does it mean I'm pretty much in as long as I don't blow the interview? I applied there for the hell of it, I never expected to hear from them. So, I'm thrilled but I'm also a little nervous because it's my first interview and I don't have any practice. Also, my GPA is pretty low or does that not matter any more? Has anyone interviewed there? Do you know what kinds of questions they ask or what they look for in an applicant? I would really appreciate any comments or information. Thanks.

LAGIRL

Members don't see this ad.

May I ask what your GPA/Stats are? What kind of experience do you have. About the interview, be yourself and everything will fall into place. From my experience once they grant you an interview they approve of your GPA/Stats, but don't be surprised if they ask you why you did the way you did in a class or two. I'm interested in columbia for next year that's why I would appreciate it if you could let me know your stats. Thanks.

Hi DesiDentist

Thanks for the info. My GPA is 3.05, DAT 20/16 and I've been working in research for the past 3 years since I graduated from college. Hope this helps and good luck.

LAGIRL

Members don't see this ad :)
LAGIRL, what sort of research have you been doing in the past 3 years? :rolleyes:

LAGIRL

the interview at columbia is pretty low key. they ask you why u want to be a dentist. what are your goals after dental school (i.e. speiclaty? i suggest a good answer is 'i really dont know, i will decide after i get exposed to each area'). etc etc just be yourself

i suggest, if you get into a state school, you should go there jsut because tuition is a major factor. the tuition at columbia is very expensive like most private schools.

To Stanford Fencer:

I've been working in the field of medical research in an academic setting.

To animal666:

Thank you very much for the info, it really helps. And thank you for the suggestion about state school, the problem is I'm from California and I don't think I'm competitive enough to get in to a UC and USC is even more expensive.

LAGIRL

if u want cheap tuition and a good quality skool u should apply to uconn. more than half of my classmates are from out of state. u get to pay in state tuition after the 1st year...it takes that long to become a conn resident. i think it's the only state skool that is willing to accept people from different states and giving them a discount rate on tuition. hey...i'm from kali and paying around 10k per year for tuition...not a bad deal. plus it's also an excellent skool if u want to specialize....they tend to do pretty well on part I and part II of the national boards. last year they matched 8 out of 8 for oral sugery and that's out of 40 students. one big downfall.....farmington is freaking borring...actually the whole conn is like that...nuthing but freaking trees. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

makebelieve,

thanks for the scoop on UConn! I think that's the only school I've heard of that let's you apply for in-state status after a year....VERY interesting...and the oral surg. stat was very impressive too. I already had UConn pretty high on my list but it just vaulted a few spots w/your new info!! And Farmington might be boring, but you can always make day trips to NYC or even Boston, right?....

Hi, I recently got a letter to interview at Columbia. I also took 2 years out of school. I am doing research with a private company.I have ~3.5 GPA GPA; also, I have been taking grad courses (GPA 3.5) on the company. Plus I have some publications under my belt!

How many people who are interviewed at Columbia actually get in?

i think once u get that interview you're pretty much in good shape. i was interviewed there and was accepted but decided to attend uconn instead.

note of caution about the oral surgery stat......

oral surgery residencies are easier and easier to get into it seems. there are not as many people applying for them, and it is not the hardest residency to get into (ortho is).

so basing your stats on 8/40 students getting into oms is not a really good factor. i think getting into a specialty doesnt depend too much on the school as much as the person, and your ranking in the class.

To J.L

When will you be interviewing at Columbia?

LAGIRL

TO; LA GIRL I set up the Columbia interview on Oct5, 2001. I actually reside in Manhattan so I am not worried about transportation. I hear that Columbia's program is one of the best! I also applied to UCSF, but I still haven't heard from them. I can't believe they only accept 5 students from out of state. Oh well, I will be happy with Columbia!!

Members don't see this ad :)
TO J.L. and anyone else who got an interview at Columbia. Could you please post your stats (e.g. GPA/SGPA, DAT, Activities, Research, etc.) to help others. Thank you very much.

Here are my stats!! I have been out of college for 2.5 years

Ungrad GPA ~3.5, plus recent enrollment in grad courses(GPA 3.5)

DAT- 20/18 I took it on 8/31/01

Work experience- worked for a medical school
and got publications and great letter of reccomendation; now I am working for a pharmaceuical compnay, and am still doing basic science research.

Key Point- If you really want to get into a school, you have to keep in contact with them by writing letters or talking to an admission officer. This way, they will know that you are serious and committed.

JL,
I am going to take my DAT on this saturday. Could you please tell me any specific topics that you could remember in the sciences and quantitative parts? Thanks

TO J.L,

Well, I guess I won't be seeing you then, I set up an appointment Sept. 28th. I applied to UCSF too, they sent me a secondary I have to finish, it's actually more a 12 page booklet. I too would be real happy with Columbia, good luck. By the way, how do you like Manhattan? I've only visited once last year, but I loved it.

LAGIRL

LAgirl,

I just got the UCSF booklet yesterday too...15 questions to answer!! Man....If I didn't want to go there so bad I'd just say screw it and forget about it....I'm gonna try and finish it all in one sitting tonight....better go buy some coffee.... :eek:

To LAGirl, I should get my secondary soon from UCSF! I went to San Fran before and loved it better than NYC, though the big apple has alot to offer! Columbia is located in a rough neighborhood! Say, did you apply to Harvard too?

To Amalgam Man, the basic science was pretty easy on the DAT. Focus on genetics and animal behavior/evolution. I also suggests to know major biological theories, such as darwin's, lamark's, etc. Gen chem is easy and so is organ chem if you have the Kaplan book. I reccomend Kaplan's DAT. This book has all the key facts in science and also two exams. Hope this helps :p

To J.L,

No, I didn't bother applying to Harvard,did you? I personally don't want to spend 5 years in dental school. Actually, my top schools are the UC's, Columbia and UOP (3 years). But good luck with UCSF.

LAGIRL

To Waiting,

I haven't touched my UCSF secondary yet, it's this week-end's homework. Let me know how it goes.

LAGIRL

I would appreciate it if anyone could post the questions that are asked on the secondaries. I just wanted to get a glimpse of how personal questions are ask. Thanks in advance.

LAGIRL,

whew....I just pulled an all-nighter last night to complete the UCSF secondary! I stayed after at work from 5pm until 5am! I'm sorry, but some of the 15! questions are just out there....such as the "how have you demonstrated concern for the less fortunate" and the "cheating" scenario question. All in all, I think in answering the questions I discovered new reasons for why I want to become a dentist...lots of introspective soul-searching!

BTW: The secondary booklet says you need to answer the list of question on the supplied, blank blue sheets. However, I called the admissions office at UCSF to clarify this and the dude there said it's fine to type up your responses in Word and just attach those pages, doesn't have to be on the blue ones.
Good luck, You'll definitely be busy this weekend! :) :cool: