Columbia or MIT for Premed Undergrad?

TheCloudPrince

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a high school senior who was accepted to both for undergrad, and I was wondering what would be an overall better option for doing premed?

Columbia:
  1. Location in NYC means really good volunteering and clinical opportunities, as well as biotech and medical internships.
  2. Generally considered easier to get high GPA than MIT, although could be because there's a lot more people at Columbia taking humanities and social science majors.
  3. Very good research opportunities, although not as great as MIT.
  4. Division 1 athletics instead of Division 3 at MIT (could be a blessing or curse, since D1 is also generally more competitive and time-consuming).
MIT:
  1. Way better research opportunities than Columbia.
  2. High average MCAT scores (probably due to the rigor of the coursework).
  3. A lot less BS in the curriculum (it doesn't have Columbia's core curriculum so I can focus on taking a lot more technical and STEM classes)
  4. From what I've seen, a stronger biology and chemistry department that supposedly prepares very well for medical school.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

MIT! Both premed and D1 athletics are huge undertakings. MIT offers you the opportunity to do athletics but focus on your primary goal. You don't want to get yourself in a situation where you need to quit one (athletics or pre-med) midway through your college career--trust me.

Neither.

1) Too much money
2) GPA destroyed
3) Earning your own resources rather than getting them through a fancy school's network is its own life lesson
4) Your own discipline, dedication, and hard work are going to prepare you for the MCAT and medical school rather than the school you go to

Speaking from personal experience, I got into Cornell for undergrad and picked a lower ranking school, and I'm damn happy I did

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Disclaimer: I have a ton of connections to MIT and I'm highly biased.

MIT is an insanely unique school so if you have to ask about Columbia vs. MIT you should probably not go to MIT (visit again, meet students, etc.). MIT's classes are hard, and their grading system makes it relatively unfavorable for premeds (they don't have +/-'s, so either you get an A or a B). While MCAT scores are high, all the premeds I know at MIT had a real rough time with their GPA.

That being said, if you visit campus and you absolutely love it GO!!! MIT is a once in a lifetime kind of opportunity.

What I have a problem with is people thinking that fancy undergrad schools are necessary to get into medical school. They aren't whatsoever. As a pre-med, you don't need to start building connections, networking, or otherwise needing the resources that schools like MIT or Columbia have. Med School? Maybe. Residency? Probably. But not undergrad. The hit on your GPA and dent in your wallet is going to hurt much more than the name-recognition and high-end resources (which you probably won't even be able to make full use of) will help.

What I have a problem with is people thinking that fancy undergrad schools are necessary to get into medical school. They aren't whatsoever. As a pre-med, you don't need to start building connections, networking, or otherwise needing the resources that schools like MIT or Columbia have. Med School? Maybe. Residency? Probably. But not undergrad. The hit on your GPA and dent in your wallet is going to hurt much more than the name-recognition and high-end resources (which you probably won't even be able to make full use of) will help.
No offense man you sound super salty lol

Reactions: 3 users
go with your gut for undergrad. go to the place where youll look back in however many years and go, that was awesome. if you get out of either place with solid grades, the world is quite literally your oyster. haha and for what its worth, columbia aint the SEC. there are tiers within each division.

Way better research opportunities than Columbia.
I mean I wouldn't overstate it. MIT is in a class of its own, certainly. But you make Columbia sound like a CC.

A lot less BS in the curriculum (it doesn't have Columbia's core curriculum so I can focus on taking a lot more technical and STEM classes)
There's a lot to be said for having a well-rounded education. You might realize at some point in college that a break from hard sciences would be a nice change of pace.

Yea MIT should either be an instant GO or NO-GO for you. If you aren't sure it's for you, it probably isn't. I would really try to expose yourself to the campus and student body culture as much as possible, and if you feel like you fit in then absolutely go for it and don't look back. I know several people who went there for undergrad and grad, and it seems like a pretty polarizing place.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s not “necessary” but it helps and OP has the opportunity to do so. I’d say at top med school interviews, the students were majorly Ivy League or UG of similar caliber. Just like at top residency programs, there will be more inbreeding.

OP: I’d recommend looking into the finances and see which will carry less UG debt. If money is not an issue, I’d recommend going to the one that will give you better GPA.

Reactions: 1 user

Respectfully, a few things:

1) If you ever have an interest in academic medicine (or innovation, technology, startups, data, etc.) then a degree at MIT or Columbia along with the connections you'll form are invaluable.
2) I don't think the poster thinks "fancy undergrads are necessary", but he/she has earned a chance to attend one of the best schools in the nation so why would he/she not?
3) 71% of kids at MIT graduate with no debt. (these top schools have TONS of funding/scholarships)
4) The person who posted is in high school and already concerned about research. Publications and research experience, even from your undergrad, will absolutely help you in the future.
5) Don't use the fact that you didn't go to Cornell - a school not even mentioned here - as some source of validity.
6) I don't know about you but at my medical school interviews half the kids were from Duke, did you not notice this? Obviously your undergraduate will matter.

how about we keep this thread about OP and advising his decision.

They're both excellent schools -- I agree with the go with your gut advice.
But for what it's worth, MIT will raise eyebrows wherever you go for the rest of your life. It's just that good.

Speaking from personal experience, I got into Cornell for undergrad and picked a lower ranking school, and I'm damn happy I did

I'm glad you're happy @LoveBeingHuman:) but can't say I agree that you made the wise decision.

Overall - If you get into medical school, it won't really matter where you did your undergrad. (Except schools like MIT, Cornell and Columbia funnel into TOP medical schools.) So if you get into a good medical school, you could argue that you could have got just as good an outcome at a less expensive school.

But if you don't, or if you change your mind about your choice of career - it happens - Well, that top-school curriculum and those top-school connections can help you a great deal.

Reactions: 3 users
NYC > Boston by a little IMO. be prepared to work hard to maintain a good GPA!

Congratulations on two great options! Based on the goals you've laid out (and the fact that this isn't an ivy vs. power-5 conference school decision), don't make D1 vs. D3 a deciding factor. Competition-wise, the difference really isn't that significant. From a time commitment perspective, D1 isn't for everyone. But because Columbia is an ivy, that means an athletic scholarship isn't a factor in your decision to keep playing. So you always have an out if your athletic commitment is keeping you from achieving your academic goals. Just know that it is do-able... I personally know several former Columbia athletes who are now in medical school.

What other options do you have? You need to do well above average at either school to get a competitive GPA. So can you beat out MIT or Columbia kids?

If you're not some combination of socially awkward and well-to-do, it may not be a good fit socially at either school, particularly MIT.

Neither.

1) Too much money
2) GPA destroyed
3) Earning your own resources rather than getting them through a fancy school's network is its own life lesson
4) Your own discipline, dedication, and hard work are going to prepare you for the MCAT and medical school rather than the school you go to

I agree. Going to my state school for 7k a year is the best decision Ive ever made.