Columbia or UCSD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SD is a mecca for medical research. San diego was actually rated as the top big city to live in within the US by CNN. Though rankings have their flaws, I would never live in NYC if given san diego as choice. SD is cleaner, has MUCH better weather, hotter girls, and friendlier people. NYC is old, run down (especially the columbia area), and filled with not the friendliest of people. Sure, nyc has it's nice elements and everyone has their own preference, but when comparing san diego to nyc, SD wins without question. SD is heaven compared to nyc. nyc is only nice if you're rich, and i'm guessing most med students are already in debt.
word, what's this whole obsession with NYC? :eek: It's OK to visit once in a while for a few days, but jeez, who the hell would want to live there? New Yorkers are a bunch of f'in aholes, and New York is a toxic dump:mad:, filled with toxic people

Members don't see this ad.

I have read numerous comments on SDN that UCSD has unhappy uptight med students. I have no personal knowledge but I have seen those comments. Why? Perhaps these students are not getting enough surfing and sun and beach time? Obviously, they are not spending enough time in Tiajuana or at other local cultural attractions.

I have no dog in this hunt. I just prefer New York City to San Diego. But there is no right answer, it is just a lifestyle choice. Anyway, to each his own.

it's funny how you phrase your posts... here, i'll try to copy your style and you see whether or not I have a "dog in this hunt."

I have heard numerous news articles that NYC has high crimes and poor living enviroments. I have no personal experience with these crimes in New York but I have seen the newspaper articles. why? Perhaps the people of New York aren't spending enough time enjoying whatever culture spots that the city has to offer? Obviously they are not spending enough time obeying the law or caring about their environment.

Oh but I have no qurrel in this, I just perfer San Diego over New York. But there's no right answer, it's just a lifestyle choice. Anyways, to each his own.

Except I've heard conflicting reports about the help a person gets applying to a cali residency from a cali school. I think the biggest thing is being a resident of the state.

It think it helps only in matching at your home program. Otherwise, it's just that more CA students are inclined to stick around than East Coast students are inclined to come to CA.

Look at the Chicago Med matchlist -- lots of Californians coming back for residency.

The only source of difficulty for a non-resident is convincing a program that they are looking to relocate. Programs don't want to interview people who are less likely to actually end up at their program - interview spots are limited and take a lot of time for everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
word, what's this whole obsession with NYC? :eek: It's OK to visit once in a while for a few days, but jeez, who the hell would want to live there? New Yorkers are a bunch of f'in aholes, and New York is a toxic dump:mad:, filled with toxic people

Wow. Thanks for the compliment. Glad to see Californians are so nice and accepting.

Wow. Thanks for the compliment. Glad to see Californians are so nice and accepting.

it doesn't say he's from california...?

it's funny how you phrase your posts... here, i'll try to copy your style and you see whether or not I have a "dog in this hunt."

I have heard numerous news articles that NYC has high crimes and poor living enviroments. I have no personal experience with these crimes in New York but I have seen the newspaper articles. why? Perhaps the people of New York aren't spending enough time enjoying whatever culture spots that the city has to offer? Obviously they are not spending enough time obeying the law or caring about their environment.

Oh but I have no qurrel in this, I just perfer San Diego over New York. But there's no right answer, it's just a lifestyle choice. Anyways, to each his own.

Cute but do a little more research before you make stupid comments on the internet. Actually, as I was sipping my coffee this morning, I was listening to a news report that verified that New York City is now at the top of the list of major cities in the USA with the lowest crime rates. Give credit where credit is due. Good job Rudy. And do your homework.

Cute but do a little more research before you make stupid comments on the internet. Actually, as I was sipping my coffee this morning, I was listening to a news report that verified that New York City is now at the top of the list of major cities in the USA with the lowest crime rates. Give credit where credit is due. Good job Rudy. And do your homework.

I don't understand anymore if you pretending just to mess around or if you actually are ignorant and missed the point of my post. The point is that you end your posts with statements like "to each his own" when you do not demonstrate tolerance for other people's opinions in the rest of your post by throwing your own generalizations at them. Give credit where credit is due? only to those who knows to give credit in the first place. You want to talk about doing your research first? When was the last time you had a talk with the med students at san diego? If you have done any clinical research work you might know that people who are happy and content usually don't feel the urge to volunteer their opinion as opposed to the ones who aren't happy. But you are somehow ready to jump to conclusions. And let's not forget about the part about pollution and environment in New York. I'll give you credit when you show me proof living in nyc is better for your health.

Wow. This is getting heated. I think it's time for a couple deep breaths.

I don't understand anymore if you pretending just to mess around or if you actually are ignorant and missed the point of my post. The point is that you end your posts with statements like "to each his own" when you do not demonstrate tolerance for other people's opinions in the rest of your post by throwing your own generalizations at them. Give credit where credit is due? only to those who knows to give credit in the first place. You want to talk about doing your research first? When was the last time you had a talk with the med students at san diego? If you have done any clinical research work you might know that people who are happy and content usually don't feel the urge to volunteer their opinion as opposed to the ones who aren't happy. But you are somehow ready to jump to conclusions. And let's not forget about the part about pollution and environment in New York. I'll give you credit when you show me proof living in nyc is better for your health.

I recently lowered my two mile time to 10 minutes and 32 seconds. I could never break 11 minutes in the two mile when I lived on the West Coast. Something to be said for the East Coast air.

While both are good schools, it is REALLY hard to beat UCSD's location in terms of lifestyle/weather/activities ETC if you're interested in the sunshine, beach, clubs, etc etc. NY has that and a bit more many argue, but it does not compare in terms of outdoorsy-stuff. Some people don't care; others (like me) care a whole lot.

I recently lowered my two mile time to 10 minutes and 32 seconds. I could never break 11 minutes in the two mile when I lived on the West Coast. Something to be said for the East Coast air.

Hahaha. New York City smog/pollution simulates altitude training, so your hematocrit is probably 52 now. Get out into the 'burbs, and that 10'32" might be a 10-flat.

:laugh:LMAO:laugh:, boy I hope you never do any clinical research our your logic would lead to some very funny papers.

I've lived several years in both locations and I love them both- I think they are both great places to live and have great lifestyle opportunities to offer (also I'm a girl so I personally don't care about which state has hotter girls! lol!!) If Columbia and UCSD were both in the same city, which would you guys pick?

Columbia. Definitely Columbia. The Law school at Columbia is better. I plan on looking for my future wife at the Law library there. The way physician reimbursement is going... you have to be prepared for the worst. :)

Columbia. Definitely Columbia. The Law school at Columbia is better. I plan on looking for my future wife at the Law library there. The way physician reimbursement is going... you have to be prepared for the worst. :)

We're on the same wavelength here. One of my best college friends is at the law school, and they totally have 'med malpractice mixers' between the schools.

Where's the poll, darn it?!! Why doesn't anyone in this class make polls?!! ;)

Okay but seriously - just finishing up year 1 here and I now agree with the wisdom from those before me. Where you go to school does NOT matter!! Take the money and run!

Hahaha. New York City smog/pollution simulates altitude training, so your hematocrit is probably 52 now. Get out into the 'burbs, and that 10'32" might be a 10-flat.

If I ever broke 10 minutes in the two mile, I would be as elated as Dr. Roger Bannister when he ran the first sub 4 minute mile. I am glad a medical doctor broke the 4 minute mile barrier. Bannister was quite scientific about his training.

UCSD. Both will get you where you want to go. You aren't going to be out on the street with either. I assume both are going to be competitive. Those gunner premeds that finally got accepted don't have a switch that turns off once they get in....excluding heart failure. The instate tuition is nice. The weather will keep you perky. New York, while a fantastic city with lots to offer, just isn't THAT great. I keep hearing "oh but there is so much to do here" like everywhere is a complete black hole with nothing. I've done the popular things there more than native new yorkers have... You can get chinese at 3 am? Congrats, you can do that in the south where I am now and pay a fraction for it...it isn't THAT uncommon. I think during those dark/dank/stressful times the weather of southern cal will help a lot. I think tuition is also something you shouldn't just ignore. While we all think we know what speciality we want now, I would want to go to the school that allows me a clearer view to choose ANY speciality from family practice to neurosurgery and derm without having to factor in my debt. I am not knocking Columbia at all. You are in a wonderful position, and from the layman's viewpoint, columbia is a sexy name, but from the life viewpoint and money standpoint, I choose UCSD.

If I ever broke 10 minutes in the two mile, I would be as elated as Dr. Roger Bannister when he ran the first sub 4 minute mile. I am glad a medical doctor broke the 4 minute mile barrier. Bannister was quite scientific about his training.

I can put you on a program.

You might also need to get access to EPO, testosterone, nandrolone, growth hormone, albuterol, and phentermine.

We'll have you cracking 9'00" in no time.

We're on the same wavelength here. One of my best college friends is at the law school, and they totally have 'med malpractice mixers' between the schools.

Amazing.

As a UCSD med student I have to comment on the unhappy competitive comments that have been thrown around these boards for a long time. This reputation started a long time ago and for some reason the school has a hard time kicking those rumors. They are just that, rumors, that have perpetuated from an era in UCSD's past that probably had some truth to it. My understanding is that when the new set of Deans came in several years ago there has been a huge shift in student culture. This has come both from more careful selection by the admissions committee and a firm commitment from the school to fostering more activities/support networks/general comraderie among the student body. There will be kids that are competitive at any school but I've yet to meet anyone here I would classify as cutthroat. You have to study hard, we do have a fair amount of class, but we are all in this boat together. People post their review notes, flash cards, we have a co-op that old classes have passed down to us with study guides that we add too. I have found the environment very cooperative. Given our location, tuition (do not ignore this - I'm sorry the returns for Columbia simply aren't there - at least not over UCSD maybe some other med schools), and caliber of the school you can't go wrong here. Unless you have some desparate desire to be in New York or really have a strong desire to go to Columbia for residency I think this one is a no brainer.

Thank you! Its nice to hear advice from a med student too :)