Columbia OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

OK... here is the deal. I just got into Columbia! However, I have already accepted an offer from other university (University of New Hampshire).

I'm not sure what to do, because I don't want to make the wrong choice. I am not obligated to go to UNH, I can change my decision by writing an email to the graduate school, although I don't really want to have to do that, I think it looks kind of bad, but I might be wrong. Columbia is holding an open house for accepted students at the end of the month, so I think I will go to that if I haven't decided yet by then..

I really feel torn because I have wanted to go to Columbia ever since I started looking into OT schools. UNH on the other hand has a great program, and I've already met some of the professors, and like them too. I also love nyc and have always been able to see myself working in that type of environment, and don't think I'll stay up in New Hampshire after school.

Is anyone else in a similar situation? What would you all do?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

hey I am in the same boat, I sent in my deposit to downstate but I just got into Columbia which I am beyond excited about!!! I think I will pick columbia just bc its always been a dream of mine to go there

Yea I totally know how you feel..this is driving me crazy because I was just thinking that I had everything all figured out...haha. How do you feel about the money issue...do you think it's worth it to go to a school that is much more expensive? I don't live in the area so i would have to think about housing and all that as well...blahhh

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I totally know how you feel..this is driving me crazy because I was just thinking that I had everything all figured out...haha. How do you feel about the money issue...do you think it's worth it to go to a school that is much more expensive? I don't live in the area so i would have to think about housing and all that as well...blahhh

Congrats on Columbia and UNH. No doubt Columbia has a top notch program but I wouldn't let the allure of an ivy league be "the" reason for going there. If you're interested enough, then going to the open house won't hurt.

However, I'm a money guy so I would stay and pay in-state and go to UNH unless you have scholarships waiting for you in NY. Although exciting, NY living expenses would definitely put a sizable dent in your pocket book. You mentioned that you've met the UNH professors already and are comfortable with the program they provide. If you're looking for something "prestigious" to put on your educational resume just try earning a fieldwork placement at the RIC or something like that. It would be considerably less expensive.

Bottom line, as you well know, only you can decide for yourself.

I say at least go to the open house and see what sort of vibe you can get. You might not like the vibe of the professors or other students, and know that you don't want to go -- or you might fall in love with it.

However, the cost would be a major concern for me -- I think a degree from Columbia would be at least $80k without even taking out loans for living expenses. Which could be worth it to you, or not. Do go to the open house and ask about financing options before you turn the school down for expense, though -- chances are you won't have to pay face value for your degree. I know NYC school system has a deal where they will pay a year of your tuition in return for two years (or maybe just one) of service in public schools. There are scholarships and other tuition reimbursement options as well.

I also got accepted to columbia, however I already sent them my rejection to their program. Even though Im a new yorker, and when I listed the pros and cons I found that I would be only be paying for the name. Its the same curriculum anywhere you go. Its important to note that Columbia is about 26,000 a year!!!.(I stand corrected with the number). Even though they have an excellent program I found that it was way better going to a school that would not leave me in debt when I graduate. So list the pros and cons and see which one is best for you. Good luck!

Have you priced the cost of living in new york in addition to tuition?

Cacadeadus is right .. at the end of the day the shingle is the same...

Your interview and fieldwork experiences will count more than where you received your degree.

I want to tell you that if you arent a NY-er, as I am, it's a wonderful experience, but it's an expensive one too.. so if you aren't single and rich... take a pass ...
and if you are single and rich .. my phone number is ... :D

Good Luck

Thanks for the replies...I think I might be leaning towards Columbia tho..:D

Hi,
My fiance has a subscription to this site, so I'm under his name, but wanted to post since I am a former Columbia grad.

I had also struggled with this decision back when I was deciding. Columbia is no doubt an expensive school, but I believe the professors that I came across were top notch. Our faculty consists of the editor of AJOT (Amer. Journal of OT), renowned researchers in the field for adult rehab., and do international work as well.

If money is an issue, there are many ways to finance Columbia. There is a scholarship associated with the Board of Education, they pay for your entire education if you give them back a certain amount of years. I am currently a recipient of this scholarship. It is of course not guaranteed but definitely something to look into.

I do think, that unlike other professions, OT is one that does not require a number 1 or top school to get a job. It may help for your first job, but there is such a need for OTs that you would be able to get a job anywhere coming from most accredited schools. I personally wanted to move to NYC, so was considering schools in the area. I enjoyed my experience and would highly recommend it if the finances can make sense.

Columbia - OT program is not located in the heart of NYC or even on their beautiful main campus. It is located at the medical campus about 40 blocks north. The main campus is easily accessible but you are not taking classes there.

Thanks for the response! How is the Board of Ed job going? I saw they also had another scholarship for the Burke Rehab Hospital, but I think you apply during the last year or something.