Columbia P&S Class of 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmmmm. It looks like my last post never made it up. Sad...

Do you guys think it's worth it to join AMA and the Medical Society of NY?

Members don't see this ad.

I am planning to get a computer within the next couple of weeks or so and have been thinking about a mac. Anyone have insight as to whether or not they're compatible with the systems/programs used @ P&S? What kind of software would I need to purchase???

Members don't see this ad :)
ead said:
I am planning to get a computer within the next couple of weeks or so and have been thinking about a mac. Anyone have insight as to whether or not they're compatible with the systems/programs used @ P&S? What kind of software would I need to purchase???

yes go mac! they are having a deal now where u get a free ipod mini or like 200 off the ipod.

totally compatible..the ONLY program that wasnt (and we got around this by using virtual PC) was the april CD for anatomy..which some ppl dont use, and maybe the netter cd..but also can be bypassed using virtual pc.

microsoft office is FREE once u get here, u can download it for free from Columbia.

-bonnie

I've been shadowing this forum and only now have chosen to reveal myself in all my majesty and glory. Behold, for I am The Bolt of the class of 2008 and you will see me in Bard Hall Player productions and in anatomy lab where I will teach you the arcane secrets of necromancy. You may also see me in NYC bars where I will teach you the arcane secrets of getting schlitzed.

Actually, don't let me fool you. Half of you guys are probably older than me. ;)

Just giving a shoutout to 2008 and a hearty welcome to 2009. Just some quick advice dealing with an epiphany I had. Do not do summer research between 1st and 2nd year. Go to a foreign country and learn a language instead. Learning a second language will make you 4 times as appealing as the countless other lab trolls when you start competing for positions in the future. It doesn't even matter if that language is Japanese (Konbawa Noami!), it'll look and sound better.

If you simply must research, take a year off to do it. That way, you might actually get something done as opposed to being an Microsoft office monkey like I am now, plugging in numbers.

BOlt

fetorbolt said:
Just giving a shoutout to 2008 and a hearty welcome to 2009. Just some quick advice dealing with an epiphany I had. Do not do summer research between 1st and 2nd year. Go to a foreign country and learn a language instead. Learning a second language will make you 4 times as appealing as the countless other lab trolls when you start competing for positions in the future. It doesn't even matter if that language is Japanese (Konbawa Noami!), it'll look and sound better.

If you simply must research, take a year off to do it. That way, you might actually get something done as opposed to being an Microsoft office monkey like I am now, plugging in numbers.

BOlt

yes, yes, YES!!!! (or should i say hai, hai, HAI!)
unless you just don't care what you do during the summer and want to be an MS monkey to pay the bills while you go out at night you should absolutely do something more fun with your summer. DO NOT DO RESEARCH FOR THE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE. there is not enough time in the summer to really do research anyway, so unless you already have experience in a lab/clinic where you can come back to whatever you were doing before--please, please i beg of you enjoy this "LAST SUMMER OF YOUR LIFE" experience.
perhaps you won't even learn a language (i am certainly not fluent) but you can have a fantastic experience, medical or not, and be a better person for it.

so thanks bolt. i hope you are finding ways to make your chicago-summer a good one.

Dewa mata atode!
:D
-noami

Do any of the orientation leaders know whether there will be rolling bins available in bard for early move-in?

Also, are the white coats true to size or do they generally run larger? Do they have our names embroidered?

Yes, Bard always has several carts available for moving in at the security desk.

Last year, the coats were not embroidered with anything. They come with a name tag and a lapel pin. When we picked them up people just exchanged coats with other people if they got a bad size.

Regarding the carts, that's not totally true. I moved out of Bard yesterday and discovered that people had stolen the carts the night before to you for their own purposes many MANY hours later. Just be forewarned.

pjm said:
Yes, Bard always has several carts available for moving in at the security desk.

Last year, the coats were not embroidered with anything. They come with a name tag and a lapel pin. When we picked them up people just exchanged coats with other people if they got a bad size.

Thank you Bonnie. You mentioned that I can download microsoft office free at school...is the same true of Virtual PC or do I need to buy it?

missbonnie said:
yes go mac! they are having a deal now where u get a free ipod mini or like 200 off the ipod.

totally compatible..the ONLY program that wasnt (and we got around this by using virtual PC) was the april CD for anatomy..which some ppl dont use, and maybe the netter cd..but also can be bypassed using virtual pc.

microsoft office is FREE once u get here, u can download it for free from Columbia.

-bonnie

What's Virtual PC? Is that a program for macs?

Turtle48 said:
What's Virtual PC? Is that a program for macs?

It's a program that runs on Macs that emulates a PC. It runs Windows XP in a window on your Mac and all Windows programs run on it. It's very similar to VMWare for Windows/Linux. The only catch is that it's pretty slow.

PhotoMD said:
It's a program that runs on Macs that emulates a PC. It runs Windows XP in a window on your Mac and all Windows programs run on it. It's very similar to VMWare for Windows/Linux. The only catch is that it's pretty slow.

thanks photomd. I have a mac--had never heard of virtual PC. i love my mac just the way it is so probably won't be downloading virtual pc (besides, slow running software drives me crazy). i'm sure there will be PCs around campus we can use to run necessary PC-only software.

Members don't see this ad :)
Turtle48 said:
thanks photomd. I have a mac--had never heard of virtual PC. i love my mac just the way it is so probably won't be downloading virtual pc (besides, slow running software drives me crazy). i'm sure there will be PCs around campus we can use to run necessary PC-only software.

how can we download virtual pc?

PhotoMD said:
I doubt Columbia gives it to us for free. It's a Microsoft product and I think it costs around $100 academically.

u can get it no problem..don't worry...

Bonnie

anyone get that facebook email yet?

Question to all the returnees...I was going to do some school supplies shopping, should I get notebooks to take notes in, or do most people do that on their computers/class syllabus? Anything else supplies-wise that you guys found especially helpful or neccesary? (Notecards, backpacks that are laptop capable, etc)

I have to admit that as orientation gets nearer, my level of nervousness is steadily rising, hehe. Hope everyone's well and I guess I'll meet you all very, very soon. :oops:

aprilshyla said:
Question to all the returnees...I was going to do some school supplies shopping, should I get notebooks to take notes in, or do most people do that on their computers/class syllabus? Anything else supplies-wise that you guys found especially helpful or neccesary? (Notecards, backpacks that are laptop capable, etc)

I have to admit that as orientation gets nearer, my level of nervousness is steadily rising, hehe. Hope everyone's well and I guess I'll meet you all very, very soon. :oops:

Hey there, don't stress...first yr at P&S really isn't that bad. I mean it! I'm getting nervous about 2nd yr cuz now we got some sort of grading system... but don't worry about that now...

I stopp trying to take any meaningful notes early on. It's just too much. But if u are a note taking type, whatever has worked for u in the past I guess. I personally use loose leaf paper cuz I like to be able to take individual lectures out, etc...some ppl swear by note cards but I cant get into them. I make study sheets if anything. Some ppl type on their laptops..I cant type that fast.

A nice comfy backpack is a must...for those heavy books...i just use a separate laptop case..but if that fits in there, all the better!

dont worry too much about supplies...see how the first few weeks go..u dont have an exam till at least 4 weeks into class. Just dont slack on anatomy..everything else is prettty much crammable.

lastly..everyone studies differently...what works for one doesnt work for another. but I do have one thing that I sweared by for Anatomy..these anatomy DVDs published by...hmm cant remember now, but they are in my apt. Cuz anatomy is a bit nuts when u have no idea what they really look like and all u have are idealized painted pics in Netter..these dvds were real cadavers and gave u a 3D idea of what u are looking at. Using these before reading the book made things IMMENSELY easier...

bonnie

I called housing to ask if I could move in the Friday before orientation and they said no.

Any advice from other students on how they got permission to move in earlier?

bubblebutt said:
I called housing to ask if I could move in the Friday before orientation and they said no.

Any advice from other students on how they got permission to move in earlier?

I called and asked if I could move in the day before (Sunday) and they approved me.

i'm moving in saturday. i think that's the first day u can get in with a good excuse.

OK this is really geeky, but I have this good pair of lab goggles from chemistry a few years ago lying around the house. Will we need lab goggles at all during M1? If not, I'll just pitch them, and I'm trying to clean up before my lease expires.

is there a p&s fantasy football league? if not, does anyone want to start one?

PhotoMD said:
OK this is really geeky, but I have this good pair of lab goggles from chemistry a few years ago lying around the house. Will we need lab goggles at all during M1? If not, I'll just pitch them, and I'm trying to clean up before my lease expires.

doubt it, unless u wanna look really dumb in anatomy lab...

missbonnie said:
doubt it, unless u wanna look really dumb in anatomy lab...
nice, i was just thinking i'm too fresh-and-clean for goggles anyway :D

Do the electrical outlets in Bard support three-prong plugs or will we need to buy one of those two-to-three converters?

Bump on the plug question... anyone?

...also am I the only one who this concerns? doesn't anyone else have three-pronged stuff?

you guys get an email on coat size? didn't we already mail in cards, or was there a time when we were supposed to reply via email to hazel bonello?

i feel like i already did something, but i can't remember now. any insight is appreciated.

Turtle48 said:
Bump on the plug question... anyone?

...also am I the only one who this concerns? doesn't anyone else have three-pronged stuff?

Just purchase a power strip with a built in breaker to protect your electronics. I don't really remember what my bard room had...but I'm pretty sure the plugs do have that third ground hole.

The Remix said:
i'm moving in saturday. i think that's the first day u can get in with a good excuse.

Make sure that you get a firm guarantee from the housing office that they'll leave your keys at the security desk (Saturday is after hours); otherwise, you may be stuck waiting for an RA to make it back to campus.. call on friday afternoon and remind the office as well.

I warn out of experience: I arrived last summer on Saturday at 10pm exhausted after 6 hours of flight delays only to find that my key was nowhere to be found. An RA had to trek back from the village to let me in. and I *had* called the week before and made arrangements for my key to be left at the desk. I didn't make it into my room until 1AM.

hey rager, thanks about the plugs. i did buy a powerstrip, but the powerstrip itself also has three prongs. i know the older buildings--in general--do not have that third hole in the socket. that's why i asked. i'd hate to buy those converters and not need to use them.

raosen said:
you guys get an email on coat size? didn't we already mail in cards, or was there a time when we were supposed to reply via email to hazel bonello?

i feel like i already did something, but i can't remember now. any insight is appreciated.

yes, i was wondering the same thing. i noted my size on the card. i do not remember another time when we were supposed to reply to an email about coat size. i think if you sent in the card there is no reason to email again. that's the boat i'm in.

Is anyone else having trouble with Health Services? I've been trying to get an immunization related hold removed from my account. After I sent everything in, when I called to confirm, a month later, they claimed not to have received anything. So, I sent everything registered mail and had my doctor fax lab results again. Finally, a month later, they'd received everything except for 2 lab results the doctor forgot. Now those were supposedly faxed a month ago, health services "doesn't have them" and I'm starting to wonder if there's a black hole in their office somewhere that is sucking in my medical records when they arrive.

The people in the office seem perfectly nice, and I'm sure this will all get straightened out. I was just wondering if anyone else is having these problems.

does anyone know of any openings in the towers that weren't published to last month's j&s listings? thanks.

Does anyone think a printer will be useful at school? Or will it be just extra baggage?

Thanks

Hi everyone,
For those moving in on Saturday or Sunday, do you have plans for dinner? I'm moving in on Sunday (Bard 916... assigned, not requested) and figure going out for dinner with new people would probably be a lot more fun than sitting by myself in my room. I'm Marie, by the way, and am relatively new to SDN.

Marieish said:
Hi everyone,
For those moving in on Saturday or Sunday, do you have plans for dinner? I'm moving in on Sunday (Bard 916... assigned, not requested) and figure going out for dinner with new people would probably be a lot more fun than sitting by myself in my room. I'm Marie, by the way, and am relatively new to SDN.

I'm also moving in Sunday, and I would be up for dinner... My name is Leon and I'll be in room 605.

We got a sheet discussing what we can and cannot download/store/upload, etc. How strict is this policy (ie do I have to get rid of mp3s that I obtained through free P2P networks, do I have to stop getting files transferred to me through AIM or MSN Messenger, do I have to stop using P2P networks?)? To any current students, has there been any major crackdown on having these types of files?

Thanks!

raosen said:
We got a sheet discussing what we can and cannot download/store/upload, etc. How strict is this policy (ie do I have to get rid of mp3s that I obtained through free P2P networks, do I have to stop getting files transferred to me through AIM or MSN Messenger, do I have to stop using P2P networks?)? To any current students, has there been any major crackdown on having these types of files?

Thanks!
Didn't you get that same b.s. warning from your undergrad school? All it does is excuse Columbia from any liability if you are investigated by RIFFA (or whatever that regulatory agency's name is). But unless you plan on downloading like 1,000 songs/week they dont have the time for you--yet.

Thanks for the reassurance on the piracy issue.

I have received the facebook, to answer your question, and even a v2 that just came out.

Another question for those in the know...I really want to get my own bed and be able to invest a bit of cash in it, but am worried about whether or not that investment will last past June of the next year. How much money is it to store a full size bed (mattress and frame) for the summer, and will we be able to use these again in the Towers or other upperclass residences?

And about AC, how necessary is it? Will a fan at full blast do the trick? When is the really hot season in Bard (August through September and May through June?)?

Appreciate any insight. I realize that these are very detailed, anal questions.

first off--thanks rager for the note about not dragging the RA's uptown-- as a new RA i really appreciate it ;)

3-prong people: don't worry--the bard rooms have the third grounding prong hole. you do want a power strip or two to protect your electronics (and it doesn't hurt to give you a few more places to plug in either).

more questions:
storage in the summer is usually 20 bucks an item, i believe. other options are to find someone you trust who can use it/store it for the summer and get it when you come back. the towers are not furnished, so you will need to have a bed if/when you move in there (or anywhere outside of bard for that matter). there are always ads around (or go on craigslist or ebay) for cheap furniture.

AC: at this point in the year it is not absolutely necessary to get AC...but if you have any intention of staying here through next summer you might want to consider it. i know people who survived without one, but there's no way i could. so i guess it depends on you. how much do you like to sweat? ;) it is usually hottest here through august. there are sometimes freakishly hot days in may or september, but those are few and far between (and interspersed between freakishly cold days, so you really can't prepare). the other thing i have heard is that heating in bard is kind of hit or miss. some people were sweating through the winter no matter what they did (using an open window to cool down even when their own heat was off) and the heating system is old and loud. i plan on keeping my AC in through the winter to use it when it is too hot and to use the fan when bard life is too loud. either way i think it will come in handy. but that is just me.

please feel free to PM me or stop by my bard room if you have any questions (1022). although i didn't live in bard last year i can always ask around and find out the answer to whatever questions you have. and if you are nice i have lots of useful things left over from 10 years of apartment living that i can loan you (such as a DVD player to hook up to the big-screen on the 11th floor, vacuum cleaner, etc).

one word on piracy...they actually do find ways to enforce this one, so don't be one in your class to get called into the dean. although we do have a new dean and i don't know what her policy will be, last year several people got nasty invitations to the dean's office for various online activities. they get all worked up about wireless networks in bard and they really, really hate it when you buy illegal DVDs and stuff down in chinatown. so just be careful.

for those of you moving into bard i would recommend you submit your IP request early...i am still waiting for mine and have to rely on the wireless network in the lounge and library (in case you didn't know this--wireless is not available in bard outside of the 1st floor lounge). also, you have to submit two separate requests if you want to use the wireless network and a LAN line in your room.
if you have trouble finding this form let me know and i will dig up the URL.

finally--good luck with the move and don't stress about first year!!! you will find things to stress about later--don't create them now. just enjoy orientation, go out and have fun and get to know your classmates.

raosen said:
Thanks for the reassurance on the piracy issue.

I have received the facebook, to answer your question, and even a v2 that just came out.

Another question for those in the know...I really want to get my own bed and be able to invest a bit of cash in it, but am worried about whether or not that investment will last past June of the next year. How much money is it to store a full size bed (mattress and frame) for the summer, and will we be able to use these again in the Towers or other upperclass residences?

And about AC, how necessary is it? Will a fan at full blast do the trick? When is the really hot season in Bard (August through September and May through June?)?

Appreciate any insight. I realize that these are very detailed, anal questions.

hey all,

i dont know if this has been asked here before or not, it probably has, but i have an interview next week at columbia and im seeking pointers. i hear columbia is adamant about why columbia, so that in particular would help. of course ive looked into it, but id like to hear straight from the source. what answers are they seeking that make them light up? things they (you?) are particularly proud of? its my 1st or 2nd choice (compared to penn), but im going in with the attitude that its 1st. feel free to PM me, and i may carpet bomb many of you with PMs as well.

ill look through the thread now to see what i can find. if you help me get in...i could be a very valuable younger classmate and future grad! haha i dont like asking for help without offering something in return, at least i tried