Columbia P&S doesn't cover biochemistry!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dl2dp2

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just discovered that Columbia P&S's first year curriculum doesn't cover the required portion in biochemistry: glycolysis, TCA, urea, amino acid, fatty acid degredation and synthesis...

WHAT IS GOING ON?! Last time i checked that stuff is on USLME step I

DAMN IT does this mean I'd have to pick this sh** up on my own!!

Members don't see this ad.

You've been attending classes here for 6 months and you just now realized this? :laugh:

Who wants to study biochem anyway? It's so BORING.

It also covers skin after the boards. Quite interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a great deal to learn there, more than simply chemical reactions.. o_O especially related to metabolic disorders such as diabetes.

Originally posted by carrigallen
There is a great deal to learn there, more than simply chemical reactions.. o_O especially related to metabolic disorders such as diabetes.

Yup. We're screwed. I wish someone would have warned me that Columbia is just another diploma factory. :scared:

I mean, it's not like they try to integrate the important stuff along with our other classes or anything. :laugh:

Originally posted by Entei
I mean, it's not like they try to integrate the important stuff along with our other classes or anything. :laugh:
:laugh: ahh, gotta love the first year of medical school. reminds me of classic exchange in embryology (i.e. the most worthless subject ever)

Jackass Embryo Professor: The aortic arches in development of the CV system are very important...lots of clinical correlates...they're very important on the boards...BUT, we're not actually going to bother covering them in any appreciable depth, cause I have to give the podium to some assclown who will lecture you on his highly esoteric research which all can be summarized by "knockout x gene that no one has ever seen a homozygous null in humans before=CV system doesn't develop=embryo dies" :rolleyes:

i could have probably done without going over glycolysis for the 200th time in my academic career, but that is kinda strange you guys dont look at it. :confused:

Don't columbia students do well on the boards despite this lack of biochemistry coverage?

-Ice

We don't cover it at Michigan either....its expected that you already know it....(prereq for attendance)......I don't know our board scores, but I'm sure they're okay.....

Is this all some big giant joke? A few of you sound like you might stroke out. Kidding aside, though, Columbia did offer biochem last year to first year meds, although it wasn't part of the main curriculum (it was considered "optional"). It was kind of lame, though, since they basically just went through reams of reactions and pathways with little in the way of explanation.

Most 2nd years at P & S have already taken biochem in undergrad (easily 70-80% of students, I would guess) and can review it on their own.

Some students I have talked to, in fact, went a little overboard (as a way of compensating for a perceived curriculum defect) and ended up having biochem as one of their best subjects in the performance analysis the NBME gives out for Step 1. And most of these students said that Step 1 biochem was mostly basic stuff, although with a heavy clinical slant.

So, you 1st years can relax a bit. You will have to review it on your own, but it shouldn't be a big deal.

OMFG dont ever do that again!!!!
i was reading your post without looking at who wrote it and i was like "crickey, this is just like my school - ok i feel better now that its like this at other places too."
and then it turns out that YOU'RE AT MY SCHOOL!!
+pissed+
please stay posted for my top 200 reasons why cornell sucks.
and i'm going to make an effort to meet and greet as many prospective students as I can.
no review sessions my a$$

Originally posted by DW
:laugh: ahh, gotta love the first year of medical school. reminds me of classic exchange in embryology (i.e. the most worthless subject ever)

Jackass Embryo Professor: The aortic arches in development of the CV system are very important...lots of clinical correlates...they're very important on the boards...BUT, we're not actually going to bother covering them in any appreciable depth, cause I have to give the podium to some assclown who will lecture you on his highly esoteric research which all can be summarized by "knockout x gene that no one has ever seen a homozygous null in humans before=CV system doesn't develop=embryo dies" :rolleyes:

i could have probably done without going over glycolysis for the 200th time in my academic career, but that is kinda strange you guys dont look at it. :confused:

I've been told by others that rote Biochemistry appears on Step I a total of 5 questions out 350. They did some glossing over of material when preparing for the boards and still made ultrahigh scores - however, they didn't even purchase a review text.

QBank, IVQBank, and UCV for me!

Yours,

Originally posted by DarkChild
no review sessions my a$$
I see you won't be voting for Dr.Maack as the top professor in HSF :laugh:

i honestly don't care for the review sessions either way...but do you blame the faculty...or the gunner a$$ students who make up our class? :p