Columbia P&S - malignant program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chikory

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I heard that the faculty at P&S is not very supportive of their medical students. This is according to a P&S graduate of three years ago. Since then the dean has been changed so it's possible this is no longer the case. Could you please let me know what you think about the program and how much the faculty / administration supports you during the residency application process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
I heard that the faculty at P&S is not very supportive of their medical students. This is according to a P&S graduate of three years ago. Since then the dean has been changed so it's possible this is no longer the case. Could you please let me know what you think about the program and how much the faculty / administration supports you during the residency application process? Thanks!
I think regardless of which medical school you ask a student about some will have negative things to say and some positive. I also know that at every medical school will have approachable faculty and some who are just plain a-holes. That said I have never felt the faculty as a whole were not supportive of students--especially those interested in their specialty (but, again, this is the opinion of just one student). Once you decide which specialty you go into you are assigned a faculty advisor in that department to advise you through the application process and give you honest feedback on your strengths, wekanesses, and chances at xyz's residency program. I hope that helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from a friend of mine who goes to P&S that the profs are tougher than at other schools and not as likely to make time for their students...but I think malignant might be too strong of a word.

I have heard these views too from students who transfered from columbia due to husbands etc and also from deans at other schools. So the answer to your question is yes students there are not always very happy. But in the end a lot of people end up loving nyc and their match list speaks for itself.