Columbia Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TopDocChick

Rock Star
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not upset about the rejection because I applied there before they had that holocaust denying freak come speak there and had I known that they were giving floor space to a guy like that, I never would have applied.

Anyway, I thought the rejection letter was funny. "we sympathize with your dissapointment..." what the heck does that mean? I really don't need them to feel sorry for me. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

did u actually interview there? or was this a preinterview rejection? (sorry by the way)

I'm sorry, but discounting an entire school based on people who have been invited to speak there is a little shortsighted. Refusing to hear someone entirely (let alone to discount Columbia entirely via guilt by association) because you disagree with them makes you no less intolerant than they are.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry, but discounting an entire school based on people who have been invited to speak there is a little shortsighted. Neglecting to hear someone entirely because you disagree with them makes you no less intolerant than they are.

agreed :thumbup:

Sorry to hear that you were rejected. What I heard about them is that they only accept one MCAT attempts and they tend to enforce on it as well. I am not so sure what your stats are or what you have in your MCAT, but if you did manage to score higher in your second attempts (that is to say if you took the exam twice) and did really poorly in the first one, perhaps this was the reason for your rejection. I could be entirely wrong though, but when I spoke with one of their coordinators for the application process few months ago, he seemed very anal about the first MCAT scores for some reasons. He did not specifically mentioned that people usually get rejected due to their poor MCAT scores, but however he put it seemed clear enough that probably was the case for those rejections. Then again there are so many schools out there that reject applicants for no apparent reasons which is why one should always have some back up schools that could guarantee you a spot.

Sorry to hear that you were rejected. What I heard about them is that they only accept one MCAT attempts and they tend to enforce on it as well. I am not so sure what your stats are or what you have in your MCAT, but if you did manage to score higher in your second attempts (that is to say if you took the exam twice) and did really poorly in the first one, perhaps this was the reason for your rejection. I could be entirely wrong though, but when I spoke with one of their coordinators for the application process few months ago, he seemed very anal about the first MCAT scores for some reasons. He did not specifically mentioned that people usually get rejected due to their poor MCAT scores, but however he put it seemed clear enough that probably was the case for those rejections. Then again there are so many schools out there that reject applicants for no apparent reasons which is why one should always have some back up schools that could guarantee you a spot.

I wonder why they would care about the first mcat so much? I was able to get an interview with a huge difference in my two mcat scores, so I wonder if this guy is just exaggerating how important the first one is.

I'm sorry, but discounting an entire school based on people who have been invited to speak there is a little shortsighted. Refusing to hear someone entirely (let alone to discount Columbia entirely via guilt by association) because you disagree with them makes you no less intolerant than they are.

It has nothing to do with tolerance. I personally would not want to go to a school that would have this person speak there. I am not saying that you should discount Columbia. I was merely explaining why the rejection didn't make me feel bad.

My MCAT score was fine, the first time. I did not need to retake. I think the rejection from this school and others was because of my personal statement. It is hard to write a meaningful personal statement three months after your brother commits suicide. My mind was a little confused and my feelings were a little overly sensitive. I steered my PS away from any emotional input because my gauge was off. In the end, it sounded very cold and mechanical. In retrospect, I should have applied next year - but in the aftermath of the tragedy, I just wanted to move forward.

I wonder why they would care about the first mcat so much? I was able to get an interview with a huge difference in my two mcat scores, so I wonder if this guy is just exaggerating how important the first one is.

I have no idea. I guess I woke him up from his sleep by calling him that early (it was 9:30 am or something). :p

By the way, your second MCAT score is so good that I am sure they can over look at their 'first MCAT score' policy. But in terms of competition, seeing how Columbia is one of the top schools in America, I was thinking more like 29 in first one and 36 in the second. If they really consider the 'first MCAT score' policy in order to choose their last batch of students for that year, then 7 points increase in the second attempt will not looked at nicely, especially when other matriculate applicants who might be overqualified in terms of their requirements--you are either straight in the waiting list or rejected.

Yeah, I'm thinking he was exaggerating. I, too, had a huge difference between my two MCAT scores.

I am not upset about the rejection because I applied there before they had that holocaust denying freak come speak there and had I known that they were giving floor space to a guy like that, I never would have applied.

Anyway, I thought the rejection letter was funny. "we sympathize with your dissapointment..." what the heck does that mean? I really don't need them to feel sorry for me. :rolleyes:

So much for academic freedom, I guess. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of ideas? The President of Columbia University took on the President of Iran and challenged him very agressively. In fact, Lee Bollinger, Columbia's president was criticized in the press for being so rude in the debate and so inhospitable. So why would you not attend one of the best med schools in the country - because they allow unpopular people to speak? Sweet. Sounds like a great criteria to me for selecting a med school. Why don't we just get rid of universities and only listen to people we agree with? What did you think about in college?

Don't get your feelings so hurt by a rejection. Most people have rejections in this process.

So much for academic freedom, I guess. What are you afraid of? Are you afraid of ideas? The President of Columbia University took on the President of Iran and challenged him very agressively. In fact, Lee Bollinger, Columbia's president was criticized in the press for being so rude in the debate and so inhospitable. So why would you not attend one of the best med schools in the country - because they allow unpopular people to speak? Sweet. Sounds like a great criteria to me for selecting a med school. Why don't we just get rid of universities and only listen to people we agree with? What did you think about in college?

If I eliminated schools based on whether or not they invited controversial people, I probably wouldn't have any med schools left. The opinions of an invited speaker don't necessarily reflect the opinions of an entire university.

If you're all so into freedom of speech (which is not even the real issue, since Columbia is a private institution which gets to choose who it wants and doesn't want to speak), topdocchick deserves the same respect from you to voice her opinion on the issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
A denial of the holocaust is a denial of fact. This should not fall under the category of free speech. It is antisemitism!

As someone who has lost large parts of my extended family in the holocaust i would agree that denial of the event is a denial of fact. that being said, while the denial of the holocaust is likely rooted in antisemitism, it is not inherently antisemitic. (there is a small segment of anti-israel, Hasidic Jews who side with Ahmedinijad on this it is inherently ignorant. My problem with allowing such speakers is why give equal time to such ignorance. should someone come speak about why they think gravity does not exist? or that the war of 1812 didn't happen? seems like a waste of time to me. This is all a mute point with respect to the med school. they are pretty awesome if you ask me, and i think judging the med school based on a controversial decision by the undergrad is a bit narrow minded.

Sorry to hear about the rejection.

I hate the phrasing of rejection letters. They're all pretty poor attempts at being sensitive.

As someone who has lost large parts of my extended family in the holocaust i would agree that denial of the event is a denial of fact. that being said, while the denial of the holocaust is likely rooted in antisemitism, ...they are pretty awesome if you ask me, and i think judging the med school based on a controversial decision by the undergrad is a bit narrow minded.

Having misinformed ideas about a speaker is fine prior to a lecture. Continuing to have the exact same ideas after is troubling and a 'bit narrow minded.'

The Iranian "president" never denied the existence of the holocaust. Did anyone actually listen to his speech? No one can be that stupid.

He is simply advocating more "research" into the topic. Why? because his whole point is the Germans committed the atrocities of the Holocaust but the Palestinians are paying for it. Right or wrong, their argument is that Israel should have been established in Berlin.

-end of politics on these forums

Sorry to hear about the rejection.

I hate the phrasing of rejection letters. They're all pretty poor attempts at being sensitive.
Honestly, what did you guys expect?

Dear John,

We have completed our review of your file, and we are pleased to say you will not be attending our school next fall. Although you might be shocked at this decision, be assured we do not share your dissapointment. This is because we have already accepted much better students into our program and are happy we will not have to dredge through your un-respectable and bland "accomplishments" again.

We encourage you to avoid applying again next year. Most of our rejected applicants fail at this. It is also unlikely that you, or most rejects, will be able to make meaningful contibutions to our profession in the future. Note how it is our profession, because when we rejected you any hope of it becoming your's ceased to exist. We have sent back your AMCAS application with this letter (although your fee will go towards the students who were admitted) so you can use it to help apply to law school.

Best of luck!

William Bullock
Chancellor, Stewart University, New Scotland School of Medicine

Honestly, what did you guys expect?

Dear John,

We have completed our review of your file, and we are pleased to say you will not be attending our school next fall. Although you might be shocked at this decision, please be assured we do not share your dissapointment. This is because we have accepted better students into our program and are happy we will not have to dredge through your un-respectable and bland "accomplishments" again.

We encourage you to avoid applying again next year. Most of our rejected applicants fail at this. It is also unlikely that you, or most rejects, will be able to make meaningful contibutions to our profession in the future. Note how it is our profession, because when we rejected you any hope of it becoming your's ceased to exist. We have sent you back your AMCAS application with this letter so you can use it to help apply to law school.

Best of luck!

William Bullock
Chancellor, Stewart University, New Scotland School of Medicine

Eh... it'd be easier if they just did something like this.

"We are sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you a spot in our class for next year."

Done in one sentence.

Eh... it'd be easier if they just did something like this.

"We are sorry to inform you that we are unable to offer you a spot in our class for next year."

Done in one sentence.

My point being, as these are professional schools, it is only natural that they send a professional notice of rejection. If they only sent the once sentance, you and me may not give a crap, but most people would claim it as insensitive. (Certainly more people than the ones who today say they are too melodramatic.)

My girlfriend goes to Columbia U. and trust me, he was not given very much respect by the college president either. Who cares if he was invited to speak there? He is a the leader of an entire country. A very influential person.

If you're all so into freedom of speech (which is not even the real issue, since Columbia is a private institution which gets to choose who it wants and doesn't want to speak), topdocchick deserves the same respect from you to voice her opinion on the issue.

What a naive interpretation of discourse! First of all, we should all be clear that nobody's respect is on the line. That's a slippery slope, and we're mature enough not to go there, I hope. More importantly, though, is that the only arguments that should be treated as relevant are those that provide support to their conclusions. Anything else is just an opinion.

Haha, very funny thread. I see that the rejection letter needed to do a bit more consoling in this case, not less of it.

Moving on...I was under the impression that Columbia sent all of their pre-interview rejections at the same time as their post-interview decisions. Was I mistaken? Should I still expect to hear back post-interview around March 1?

Moving on...I was under the impression that Columbia sent all of their pre-interview rejections at the same time as their post-interview decisions. Was I mistaken? Should I still expect to hear back post-interview around March 1?

I believe that's the case. It's a Saturday, so the earliest we can possibly hear is probably March 3rd. I wonder why nobody has started a thread entitled "I'm freaking out because we hear from Columbia in 2 weeks."

I wonder why nobody has started a thread entitled "I'm freaking out because we hear from Columbia in 2 weeks."

Haha, I'm about to start that thread myself. I keep reminding myself that 2 weeks isn't very long, but right now it feels like an eternity.

Haha, I'm about to start that thread myself. I keep reminding myself that 2 weeks isn't very long, but right now it feels like an eternity.

I was thinking about starting it... but the last couple Columbia threads didn't really do that well.

I'm with you. Waiting two more weeks is going to be painful.

does anyone know how they notify acceptances? email, snail mail, phone calls? I just wanna cover all my neurotic bases...

We should seriously start a separate thread. It is kinda weird... and also mildly disrespectful to talk about this in a thread started because someone was rejected...

Since when did Columbia start sending out rejections? Excited to get one here, so I can cross another school off my list. Now on to Harvard and Hopkins.

Since when did Columbia start sending out rejections? Excited to get one here, so I can cross another school off my list. Now on to Harvard and Hopkins.

I emailed them a couple weeks ago to let them know I would be in NY in case they wanted to interview me. I guess they looked me over and rejected me. They even made reference to that email so I think the rejection letter was personalized. They truly sympathize with my disappointment.

I emailed them a couple weeks ago to let them know I would be in NY in case they wanted to interview me. I guess they looked me over and rejected me. They even made reference to that email so I think the rejection letter was personalized. They truly sympathize with my disappointment.

Dang, that's harshhh! I don't even have any interviews in NY, but maybe I'll just pretend I do and send them an email anyway. I too want to know how they will sympathize with my disappointment. Better be a lot of sympathy, too.

Don't get your feelings so hurt by a rejection. Most people have rejections in this process.

academic freedom?? i don't know who came to speak there, but if it was really a holocaust denier, what kind of academic discourse can you have with someone who purports this point of view? just because someone says something different doesn't mean their opinion is worthy of a university platform. what kind of academic lesson do you hope to learn from a holocaust denier? there's being open minded and listening to other's points of view and then there's wasting your time hearing ideas that have no logical basis. it's not about being afraid of ideas, it's not giving credence to absurd ideas that you cannot have an intelligent discussion about.

very well put ryan. mahmud ahmadinejad is the speaker in question.

academic freedom?? i don't know who came to speak there, but if it was really a holocaust denier, what kind of academic discourse can you have with someone who purports this point of view? just because someone says something different doesn't mean their opinion is worthy of a university platform. what kind of academic lesson do you hope to learn from a holocaust denier? there's being open minded and listening to other's points of view and then there's wasting your time hearing ideas that have no logical basis. it's not about being afraid of ideas, it's not giving credence to absurd ideas that you cannot have an intelligent discussion about.

I could not disagree with you more Ryan. This man is not just some lunatic that Columbia picked off of a street corner in New York City. He is the President of Iran, the dominant Islamic country in the Middle East. His ideas may sound absurd, but it is in our best interests to try and understand him and the country he represents. To pretend that he does not exist, or that Iran should be ignored, well, to do so puts us at peril. Frankly, it was a very good idea to allow the Islamic scholars at Columbia to see this man up close and personal. If you read the comments by the President of Columbia, it is quite obvious that his ideas were not being given credence.

Frankly, I wish that Hitler had spoken at Columbia in 1936. We would have understood Hitler and the Nazi regime better, if Hitler had come to the United States to explain his ideas of racial purity. And then, perhaps, the United States would not have stood on the sidelines for so long in World War II, and waited until the Japanese bombed us at Pearl Harbor to enter the war. If we had entered the war earlier, then perhaps Germany would have been defeated sooner, and much of the Holocaust could have been avoided.

Knowledge is power, Ryan. I applaud Columbia.

I could not disagree with you more Ryan. This man is not just some lunatic that Columbia picked off of a street corner in New York City. He is the President of Iran, the dominant Islamic country in the Middle East. His ideas may sound absurd, but it is in our best interests to try and understand him and the country he represents. To pretend that he does not exist, or that Iran should be ignored, well, to do so puts us at peril. Frankly, it was a very good idea to allow the Islamic scholars at Columbia to see this man up close and personal. If you read the comments by the President of Columbia, it is quite obvious that his ideas were not being given credence.

Frankly, I wish that Hitler had spoken at Columbia in 1936. We would have understood Hitler and the Nazi regime better, if Hitler had come to the United States to explain his ideas of racial purity. And then, perhaps, the United States would not have stood on the sidelines for so long in World War II, and waited until the Japanese bombed us at Pearl Harbor to enter the war. If we had entered the war earlier, then perhaps Germany would have been defeated sooner, and much of the Holocaust could have been avoided.

If students at Columbia are so ignorant about current events that they need the a**hole to be present to explain his views, we are in big trouble. His views and desires were made public many many times before and after the speech. All you had to do was pick up a news paper or watch him on TV. Columbia was under no obligation to honor him with another forum.

If students at Columbia are so ignorant about current events that they need the a**hole to be present to explain his views, we are in big trouble. His views and desires were made public many many times before and after the speech. All you had to do was pick up a news paper or watch him on TV. Columbia was under no obligation to honor him with another forum.

I don't see how someone could be ignorant of the issues because they want to see someone speak in person rather than go by what they read in the paper or watch on TV. If anything the students at Columbia had the opportunity to make a more informed opinion about the views of the president and possibly (although in this situation probably not) the prevailing views of the people of Iran. There is a slant to everything especially in mainstream media and news. How can you compare that to hearing opinions directly from the horses mouth?

Blind acceptance is ignorance being born, this is independent of the evidence for one side or the other.

There is no logic in any of your argument.

And the media isn't ignorant?

Blind acceptance is ignorance being born, this is independent of the evidence for one side or the other.

There is no logic in any of your argument.

And the media isn't ignorant?

No, they provide direct quotes and footage, so they are not ignorant about what the guy says, unless you believe they doctor footage and make up quotes. The only valid reason I could think of for hearing him speak is that pre-submitted questions were allowed. He evaded most of them but some of his responses were funny, like his claim that Iran has no homosexuals when asked about why Iran executes them.

I can't tell whose thread this is anymore. As much as I'd love to continue vain attempts at rescuing idiots from the throws of hippocrisy, I kind of feel bad about the people who are actually talking about Columbia rejections here.

Having misinformed ideas about a speaker is fine prior to a lecture. Continuing to have the exact same ideas after is troubling and a 'bit narrow minded.'

The Iranian "president" never denied the existence of the holocaust. Did anyone actually listen to his speech? No one can be that stupid.

He is simply advocating more "research" into the topic. Why? because his whole point is the Germans committed the atrocities of the Holocaust but the Palestinians are paying for it. Right or wrong, their argument is that Israel should have been established in Berlin.

-end of politics on these forums

Actually, he did deny the existence of the Holocaust. He simply didn't do so during his speech at Columbia.
(He did deny the existence of gays in Iran. Can no one be that stupid either?)

Here are some direct quotes from other occasions:

Some European countries insist on saying that during World War II, Hitler burned millions of Jews and put them in concentration camps... Any historian, commentator or scientist who doubts that is taken to prison or gets condemned. Although we don't accept this claim, if we suppose it is true, if the Europeans are honest they should give some of their provinces in Europe — like in Germany, Austria or other countries — to the Zionists and the Zionists can establish their state in Europe. You offer part of Europe and we will support it.

They have invented a myth that Jews were massacred and place this above God, religions and the prophets. The West has given more significance to the myth of the genocide of the Jews, even more significant than God, religion, and the prophets, (it) deals very severely with those who deny this myth but does not do anything to those who deny God, religion, and the prophet. If you have burned the Jews, why don't you give a piece of Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to Israel? Our question is, if you have committed this huge crime, why should the innocent nation of Palestine pay for this crime?

This leads me to searun's comment:

All that was accomplished was that the Iranian dictator was permitted to come and spin his ideas and make them more palatable for Western audiences.

Similarly, it was perfectly clear what Hitler stood for in 1936, based on his writings in Mein Kampf, his speeches in Germany, and the behavior of the Nazi regime. Rather than giving America cause to enter the war earlier, he would have made statements strengthening the isolationist position, as he frequently did in the period between September 1939 and the invasion of France.

Actually, he did deny the existence of the Holocaust. He simply didn't do so during his speech at Columbia.
(He did deny the existence of gays in Iran. Can no one be that stupid either?)

Here are some direct quotes from other occasions:

This leads me to searun's comment:

All that was accomplished was that the Iranian dictator was permitted to come and spin his ideas and make them more palatable for Western audiences.

Cite your source. I am a fluent Persian speaker and I can tell you that he does not deny the holocaust. Translations are really important...especially if they are translated by those who want to misrepresent his views.

case in point, his comment about homosexuals in iran was translated as "we do not have homosexuals in Iran" when in fact he said "we do not have homosexuals in Iran like you do here." That little omission makes a huge difference.

Finally, he is not the dictator in Iran. He was elected. The real dictator with ALL the power is Khamenie. No one has heard of him right? Ahmadenejad has as much power in Iran as Condeleeza Rice in the states.

my last comment in this thread, let logical prevail.

Finally, he is not the dictator in Iran. He was elected. The real dictator with ALL the power is Khamenie. No one has heard of him right? Ahmadenejad has as much power in Iran as Condeleeza Rice in the states.

You're right, that was sloppy of me.

No, they provide direct quotes and footage, so they are not ignorant about what the guy says, unless you believe they doctor footage and make up quotes. The only valid reason I could think of for hearing him speak is that pre-submitted questions were allowed. He evaded most of them but some of his responses were funny, like his claim that Iran has no homosexuals when asked about why Iran executes them.

Hmm...I'm sorry, the media would never do that...

Cite your source. I am a fluent Persian speaker and I can tell you that he does not deny the holocaust. Translations are really important...especially if they are translated by those who want to misrepresent his views.

case in point, his comment about homosexuals in iran was translated as "we do not have homosexuals in Iran" when in fact he said "we do not have homosexuals in Iran like you do here." That little omission makes a huge difference.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

LOL, I was in the same situation, and I got the same letter, referencing my e-mail. Not so personalized. I even called in, and they told me to e-mail my request to them, lol, probably just so their form rejection letter referencing my e-mail would make sense!

LOL, I was in the same situation, and I got the same letter, referencing my e-mail. Not so personalized. I even called in, and they told me to e-mail my request to them, lol, probably just so their form rejection letter referencing my e-mail would make sense!

Yep, they told me to send the email after I called as well. I think you are right. So, they are sympathetic to your disappointment as well. Doesn't that make you feel good? :laugh:

Yep, they told me to send the email after I called as well. I think you are right. So, they are sympathetic to your disappointment as well. Doesn't that make you feel good? :laugh:

It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. All in all, though, both of the schools that have rejected me pre-interview were my two that I started leaning away from the more I thought about it, so it's all good. Columbia wasn't for me, and I'm just glad I pretty much had that figured out before the rejection came... It made it a lot less of a blow that way. :)