Columbia Rejection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to go ahead and add my two cents. First - it was not the medical school that chose to have ahmadinejad to speak, it was Columbia University in general...that being said, and someone already said this, the columbia president seemed like he gave the green light so people would have a chance to understand his opinion AND to refute it publicly.

Being a jew, I think it's great that someone had the balls to do this, create an open forum, and I also understand that Ahmadinejad claims not to be an anti-semite. He just refuses to believe the holocaust occurred without hard evidence, and has even held a conference to "Review the Global Vision of the Holocaust." We all understand sensationalism, and to some extent every event in global history has experienced the phenomenon. But, I think the hard evidence throughout Europe sensationalized, sans human manipulation, the massive destruction of races that occurred, so it is hard to ignore that, which is where I lose my understanding of Iran's president's views. I wouldn't hold it against Columbia university for doing this, but I do think they invited him only to attack him. That is distaste.

Finally, i have one reason to really dislike ahmadinejad - because Denmark printed a caricature involving muhammed in its newspapers, he opened a contest in Tehran for the best holocaust caricature. This is where his arguments that the holocaust is a myth needing further study go awry. You cannot openly claim something of such vast significance is an "established myth pending further review" (sort of like med school applications) and then openly mock it while you are trying to prove to the world it is a serious matter. Denmark was in poor taste to go against Muslim laws banning representations of the prophet, but they openly mock every other religion (their own included) which dumbs down the hype on what they did.

So it is important to truly understand (which I still don't) the viewpoints presented and the rationale behind having an open forum within our country. We allow conservatives and liberals to speak in the same locations, we allow people to discuss evolution v. creation, dinosaurs v. cavemen, scientific evidence's validity, morality v. immorality, pro-life v. pro-choice, we openly criticize every side of every argument, most importantly the proof of a higher being's existence. So big deal, someone doesn't believe the holocaust occurred and wants to promote more research, he doesn't believe Islam should have been forced to carry the burden of the holocaust victims, I would rather understand his viewpoints than condemn him for it immediately since open-mindedness is going to bring us further, globally, than closing off an entire train of thought.

I would still consider columbia. Unfortunately I don't think they will consider me.

sorry, i like to rant. It's more fun than thinking about whether or not im going to get into medschool. I love these forums.

Members don't see this ad.

I said this once and I will say it again. The reason that I don't care about my rejection from Columbia is because I already rejected them when they invited Ahmadinejad to come last Fall. Whether or not other people thought it was a good idea or not is not of my concern. If you want to judge me for my opinion and for the fact that I don't want to go to Columbia (which I can't now anyway because I have been rejected) so be it. I think we all choose medical schools based on many reasons including "fit" and a school that invites Ahmadinejad would not fit me.

Hmm...I'm sorry, the media would never do that...

Well if you do believe in the conspiracy that CNN, BBC, NYTimes, and every other news agency have been doctoring footage of his speeches, making him say things he actually did not say, then you have to agree that his speaking at Columbia was also pretty much worthless, since pretty much everybody in the world besides the few hundred people there heard what he said through news agencies, including yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed them a couple weeks ago to let them know I would be in NY in case they wanted to interview me. I guess they looked me over and rejected me. They even made reference to that email so I think the rejection letter was personalized. They truly sympathize with my disappointment.

Uh, the President of Iran spoke at Columbia on September 24, 2007, almost 5 months ago. But you emailed Columbia only a couple of weeks ago, which would have been late January or early February, to let them know you would be in New York in case they wanted to interview you. So why would you inquire about an interview a couple of weeks ago, when you have known for months that you would never attend the school because the President of Iran spoke at Columbia in September. Your timeline does not make sense. You sound like a girl who got her feelings hurt by a rejection.

I said this once and I will say it again. The reason that I don't care about my rejection from Columbia is because I already rejected them when they invited Ahmadinejad to come last Fall. Whether or not other people thought it was a good idea or not is not of my concern. If you want to judge me for my opinion and for the fact that I don't want to go to Columbia (which I can't now anyway because I have been rejected) so be it. I think we all choose medical schools based on many reasons including "fit" and a school that invites Ahmadinejad would not fit me.

TopDocChick...I am in no way criticizing you. I refuse to even consider going to Milwaukee for school because it is way too close to home and ive lived in wisconsin for 22 years already. Everyone else tells me that is a stupid decision to make if I were to receive an acceptance letter in the mail in the near future. I would much rather do medical school abroad, either in montreal or tel-aviv since I would be a much better student in a place i would enjoy. Everyone else tells me im an idiot for wanting to go to a foreign school that residency will be a pain in the butt. i disagree. Its going to make me into who I want to be. So screw everyone else's criticism and find a place you can flourish.

ive probably just started a whole new world of arguments. oops.

good luck.

Yes but people are saying that your argument is illogical and ill-founded. I mean I could say I don't want to go to school X because there wasn't a full moon when I interviewed there, but I don't think thats a great argument either. A good argument would involved some sort of concern about the quality and environment of Columbia Medical School that turned you off to going there.

I'm curious as to why inviting Ahmadinejad means that Columbia will make you into a poorer doctor.

Uh, the President of Iran spoke at Columbia on September 24, 2007, almost 5 months ago. But you emailed Columbia only a couple of weeks ago, which would have been late January or early February, to let them know you would be in New York in case they wanted to interview you. So why would you inquire about an interview a couple of weeks ago, when you have known for months that you would never attend the school because the President of Iran spoke at Columbia in September. Your timeline does not make sense. You sound like a girl who got her feelings hurt by a rejection.

That's essentially what I was thinking.

EDIT: Personally, if I, for whatever reason, was disgusted with a school's actions to the point where I wouldn't want to be associated with the school, I would've withdrawn my app.

dude...calm down. I don't think we are all sitting in court on this matter...And if you read her first post youd see exactly what the timeline was - apply, then guy speaks, then months later an inquiry on the interview. I still want to know what some schools are doing with my application even though I wouldnt consider going there, just to see what I could change to have a better chance elsewhere next year if it comes to that. And, given what should be a general, inherent curiosity among premeds...I would want to know what would have happened as well.

dude...calm down. I don't think we are all sitting in court on this matter...And if you read her first post youd see exactly what the timeline was - apply, then guy speaks, then months later an inquiry on the interview. I still want to know what some schools are doing with my application even though I wouldnt consider going there, just to see what I could change to have a better chance elsewhere next year if it comes to that. And, given what should be a general, inherent curiosity among premeds...I would want to know what would have happened as well.

Thats why people are arguing. If she was so intent on avoiding Columbia, why inquiry for an interview? Why not reject them? An inquiry shows some initiative on her part to acquire a spot in the medical school. That said, I think sour grapes is an awesome policy when it comes to applications.

Thats why people are arguing. If she was so intent on avoiding Columbia, why inquiry for an interview? Why not reject them? An inquiry shows some initiative on her part to acquire a spot in the medical school. That said, I think sour grapes is an awesome policy when it comes to applications.

I guess I would be curious as to what they may have decided on my application. I am in the position where I applied so late in the process that I may have to reapply next year. This means I would still like to see what happens at particular schools, whether or not my application is being reviewed, an interview is being granted. Like I said, I do not want to go to milwaukee, but I called anyway today to find out what when I might hear, and I finally received an answer. If I were to get in, it would just be nice to know I DO have an option, rather than none. And who knows, I may end up just giving in and shipping off to milwaukee for school (shipping off another 90 miles from madison, not too far).

So in the end, maybe her knowing that someone set foot on that campus that she so steadily disagrees with might be infuriating for the next four years. If I were to go to HItler's school that might sit on my mind for a long time, but not affect my studies, whereas some people are more easily affected by something like that. If she feels it will disrupt her from being the best student she can be, then why bother considering the school? I agree, it is weird she still pursued the application, but why do you guys care so much? Its over and done with, and she has reasons for doing what she did.

end of story.

on a lighter note, is the school still offering interviews? Im not sure when their interview sessions end...

Seriously people.... I just wanted to know what was going on with my app. While I am glad I have other options now, at the time of my inquiry I wasn't accepted anywhere yet. You know what they say, beggers can't be choosers. I am surprised that my actions rub so many people the wrong way. Would I have considered the med school fi they had offered me an interview? probably. Am i burned and slighted that they didn't offer me one, no - because the anti holocaust thing turned me off. For a bunch of future docs, you guys have no idea the depth of the human psyche. Take those psych classes seriously please. Good luck.

Seriously people.... I just wanted to know what was going on with my app. While I am glad I have other options now, at the time of my inquiry I wasn't accepted anywhere yet. You know what they say, beggers can't be choosers. I am surprised that my actions rub so many people the wrong way. Would I have considered the med school fi they had offered me an interview? probably. Am i burned and slighted that they didn't offer me one, no - because the anti holocaust thing turned me off. For a bunch of future docs, you guys have no idea the depth of the human psyche. Take those psych classes seriously please. Good luck.

"Would I have considered the med school if they had offered me an interview. Probably."

Wow, girl, you are really back peddling. You mean that you would have considered an interview from Columbia almost 5 months after Columbia allowed the President of Iran to speak on the campus of its university? You started this thread and were quite clear that you never would consider going to Columbia but a couple of weeks ago, you were contacting Columbia, begging for an interview, hoping for an interview when you would be in New York City.

Pretty weird. You started this thread. Perhaps you need to take some psych classes and figure yourself out.

"Would I have considered the med school if they had offered me an interview. Probably."

Wow, girl, you are really back peddling. You mean that you would have considered an interview from Columbia almost 5 months after Columbia allowed the President of Iran to speak on the campus of its university? You started this thread and were quite clear that you never would consider going to Columbia but a couple of weeks ago, you were contacting Columbia, begging for an interview, hoping for an interview when you would be in New York City.

Pretty weird. You started this thread. Perhaps you need to take some psych classes and figure yourself out.

No, you just can't read people well. It is obvious that she is angry at them, would not want to go there, but would if she had no other good options this cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)

Ooooohhhhhhh....BUURRRNNN!!!

I would say a 2nd degree burn.

:banana:

Umich used to sterilize women and I bet a bunch of other medical schools did too. Are you withdrawing from those?

I think it's totally legit to rationalize the present. After I was deferred at Harvard early for undergrad, I started thinking that I never really wanted to go in the first place. Anyway, I had gotten into another school early.

I didn't get any interviews at Cali schools. I'm starting to think... maybe I don't want pleasant weather during med school. It's human to adapt your preference to your situation.

What can I say, I am complicated.

Hott.

I just called Columbia, and they said that my ap is still with to committee... What does this mean? Is there still any hope of getting an interview?

The medical facilities are also very far from the main campus. Its like 163rd for the medical campus and 116th for the main campus. Its not like the dean of the medical school invited the president of Iran.

Hey, not to hijack this thread to get some actual admissions information or anything, but...

I just called Columbia, and they said that my ap is still with to committee... What does this mean? Is there still any hope of getting an interview?

I don't think they are giving interviews anymore, so you are probably rejected.

I think we all choose medical schools based on many reasons including "fit" and a school that invites Ahmadinejad would not fit me.

Actually, considering how belittled and reviled he was at Columbia, I'd say you two are pretty much a great fit.

Allowing someone to speak does not mean condoning his/her ideas, behavior, or policies, etc. It does however speak volumes to the tolerance and respect given to the free discourse of ideas at a university. Please read President Bollinger's statement:

Columbia, as a community dedicated to learning and scholarship, is committed to confronting ideas—to understand the world as it is and as it might be. To fulfill this mission we must respect and defend the rights of our schools, our deans and our faculty to create programming for academic purposes. Necessarily, on occasion this will bring us into contact with beliefs many, most or even all of us will find offensive and even odious. We trust our community, including our students, to be fully capable of dealing with these occasions, through the powers of dialogue and reason.

I would also like to invoke a major theme in the development of freedom of speech as a central value in our society. It should never be thought that merely to listen to ideas we deplore in any way implies our endorsement of those ideas, or the weakness of our resolve to resist those ideas or our naiveté about the very real dangers inherent in such ideas. It is a critical premise of freedom of speech that we do not honor the dishonorable when we open the public forum to their voices. To hold otherwise would make vigorous debate impossible.

Actually, considering how belittled and reviled he was at Columbia, I'd say you two are pretty much a great fit.

Allowing someone to speak does not mean condoning his/her ideas, behavior, or policies, etc. It does however speak volumes to the tolerance and respect given to the free discourse of ideas at a university. Please read President Bollinger's statement:

Really? I'm waiting with bated breath for Columbia to host a speaker from the Klan or Kach. Allowing someone to speak does not mean condoning his ideas. It does mean that you consider his ideas to be within the range of acceptable discourse.

Really? I'm waiting with bated breath for Columbia to host a speaker from the Klan or Kach. Allowing someone to speak does not mean condoning his ideas. It does mean that you consider his ideas to be within the range of acceptable discourse.

The invitation was extended specifically by the dean of the School of International and Public Affairs of Columbia University. President Bollinger, in fact, expressed reservations about hosting Ahmadinejad (if you hadn't noticed), but left it to the School to determine Ahmadinejad's suitability as a speaker. Ahmadinejad would be more fitting than either a member of the Klan or the Kach to speak on behalf of International and Public Affairs.

Whether you agree with his policies or stances (hell, whether you consider them legitimate or not), he is still a distinguished world leader with a considerable influence over global politics. It is in our best interest to make informed opinions of who he is as a leader by listening to his views in person rather than relying on third-hand media accounts that thrive on demonizing certain political figures. I, for one, am glad Ahmadinejad came. It served to personify him and take him down from his mythical throne. It's a shame that he wasn't met with the same level of civility he displayed. Shows us who the real culprits are in this failed diplomacy. :thumbdown:

So you saw him in person? Otherwise, his coming was no different than his other speeches that are transcribed in newspapers or recorded and shown on TV.

The invitation was extended specifically by the dean of the School of International and Public Affairs of Columbia University. President Bollinger, in fact, expressed reservations about hosting Ahmadinejad (if you hadn't noticed), but left it to the School to determine Ahmadinejad's suitability as a speaker. Ahmadinejad would be more fitting than either a member of the Klan or the Kach to speak on behalf of International and Public Affairs.

Whether you agree with his policies or stances (hell, whether you consider them legitimate or not), he is still a distinguished world leader with a considerable influence over global politics. It is in our best interest to make informed opinions of who he is as a leader by listening to his views in person rather than relying on third-hand media accounts that thrive on demonizing certain political figures. I, for one, am glad Ahmadinejad came. It served to personify him and take him down from his mythical throne. It's a shame that he wasn't met with the same level of civility he displayed. Shows us who the real culprits are in this failed diplomacy. :thumbdown:

I would not characterize him as a distinguished world leader, but the rest of your comments make alot of sense. Columbia deserves credit.

I would not characterize him as a distinguished world leader, but the rest of your comments make alot of sense. Columbia deserves credit.

He is in no way distinguished, and is not even the true leader of Iran. Anyone who knows anything about Iran knows that the president of Iran holds very little power. It is the Supreme Leader Ayotolla Ali Khameni who is in charge. Ahmedinijad is just a fanatical mouthpiece, who says what he says because the Supreme Leader gives him the ok.

...unless you believe they doctor footage...

Well if you do believe in the conspiracy that CNN, BBC, NYTimes, and every other news agency have been doctoring footage of his speeches, making him say things he actually did not say, then you have to agree that his speaking at Columbia was also pretty much worthless, since pretty much everybody in the world besides the few hundred people there heard what he said through news agencies, including yourself.

So you saw him in person? Otherwise, his coming was no different than his other speeches that are transcribed in newspapers or recorded and shown on TV.

You are pretty naive about how the media works. There is a large difference between CNN reporting on one of his speeches in Iran and watching his speech in the US from start to finish, live and uninterrupted. When a news channel or paper does a report, they get to pick and choose which part of the speech they present. They don't have time to present all of it, they have political agendas, and most of all they are a business; the only thing they want to do is increase their ratings. In reality they don't give a crap about giving you accuracy and they certainly don't have to present all sides of the story. So because of this they pick to their liking. Much of what you see on TV doesn't present a complete picture, and therefore isn't always accurate.

It isn't a conspiracy, they are not out to cover anything up for anybody. They are a business that wants to make money, and as such they will cherry pick as much as they want to so they can increase their ratings. You blindly accepting everything they force feed you is like believing a scientist who cherry picks data that only fits his agenda and gets his paper published, conveniently ignoring anything else. There are obvious ethical consequences in science when this happends, not at nearly the same scale with reporting. I am not saying that they make up the things he says, I am saying they get to choose what you hear.

When he was here speaking in the US, not only could we ask him questions to respond to, but the speech was uninterrupted and live. Much different than CNN running a report on the guy. They can't pick the parts of his speech to present. They can't comment or imply political conclusions from the information they do give. So comparing it to science again, it is almost like watching the experiment actually take place, with all the data there, and letting you make conclusions.

No, entire speeches of his have been published by news agencies before, here and abroad.

You are pretty naive about how the media works. There is a large difference between CNN reporting on one of his speeches in Iran and watching his speech in the US from start to finish, live and uninterrupted. When a news channel or paper does a report, they get to pick and choose which part of the speech they present. They don't have time to present all of it, they have political agendas, and most of all they are a business; the only thing they want to do is increase their ratings. In reality they don't give a crap about giving you accuracy and they certainly don't have to present all sides of the story. So because of this they pick to their liking. Much of what you see on TV doesn't present a complete picture, and therefore isn't always accurate.

It isn't a conspiracy, they are not out to cover anything up for anybody. They are a business that wants to make money, and as such they will cherry pick as much as they want to so they can increase their ratings. You blindly accepting everything they force feed you is like believing a scientist who cherry picks data only because it doesn't fit his agenda and won't get his paper published. There are obvious ethical consequences in science when this happends, not at nearly the same scale with reporting. I am not saying that they make up the things he says, I am saying they get to choose what you hear.

When he was here speaking in the US, not only could we ask him questions to respond to, but the speech was uninterrupted and live. Much different than CNN running a report on the guy. They can't pick the parts of his speech to present. They can't comment or make political conclusions from it. So comparing it to science again, it is almost like watching the experiment actually take place, with all the data there, and letting you make conclusions.

He is in no way distinguished, and is not even the true leader of Iran. Anyone who knows anything about Iran knows that the president of Iran holds very little power. It is the Supreme Leader Ayotolla Ali Khameni who is in charge. Ahmedinijad is just a fanatical mouthpiece, who says what he says because the Supreme Leader gives him the ok.

I just said that he is not distinguished. And any country that has a "Supreme Leader" makes me a little nervous. Just cannot wrap my brain around the "Supreme Leader" concept. Too much 1984 and Brave New World for me. That said, the "Supreme Leader" can speak at Columbia and I will come and listen and try to figure out where he (or she, do they have any "she" Supreme Leaders?) is coming from. Let them speak and let the chips fall where they may.

Not at all, aside from the interpretations of poorly translated soundbites we hear on the news media of an anti-Semitic, crazed, Persian Holocaust-denying lunatic, this is the first time he's been accessible by and large to the American public, through his willingness to engage in open public debate, so his coming was indeed monumental from a diplomacy standpoint. It sets a precedent for future discussions. This is in contrast to the current administration that refuses to meet with leaders of renegade nations and instead brands them as part of the "Axis of Evil." Give me a break.

Obviously you did not watch it because it was not a "debate" of any sort. It was him giving a bad speech followed by him being asked pre-selected questions. That is not a debate at all.

No, entire speeches of his have been published by news agencies before, here and abroad.

I can assure you that readily accessable, clearly complete, and clearly reported transcripts of his entire speeches from news agencies are rare. I wouldn't be surprised if you could dig up a couple, and if you do please link some, but I can assure you this practice is not abundant. The ratio of them showing you everything versus them showing you what they want to is extremenly low. And you would have to be a fool to think that most people would read them. Most people wouldn't.

Even so, I will just repeat what I already said. They get to pick and choose which words you are hearing/reading. They get to pick and choose the speeches they present, even if they bother to transcribe the entire thing. Him coming over here, giving a live and uninterrupted speech, and allowing us to ask him questions allows us to avoid the media's cherry picking and political agendas.

Well, obviously the media has not been "cherry picking" because what he said at Columbia confirmed his disgusting agenda and more (for example, I had not heard him talk about the lack of homosexuals in Iran before so directly).

And I just searched google for "ahmadinejad speeches" and within 2 seconds, I was presented texts of his speeches at the UN, Columbia, in Iran, and more. So they are easily available. Youtube also has a bunch of them in video format.

I'm not glowing in praise of Ahmadinejad, although I do think he is distinguished by how defiantly (and proudly) he stands to his principles. He makes ludicrous remarks that can be substantiated (see: the Holocaust), sure, but he does have some valid points as well, especially concerning foreign policy, that are just being dismissed because he's being characterized as a phony with no credibility.

I did know that, thanks. It makes me wonder though why there's a big fuss with Ahmadinejad and not the real autocratic power.

Obviously you did not watch it because it was not a "debate" of any sort. It was him giving a bad speech followed by him being asked pre-selected questions. That is not a debate at all.

Yeah, who knew Columbia University was capable of conducting such shoddy debates? But my statement still stand true: he was willing to engage in debate...it was up to us to reciprocate.

No, he was not willing to debate at Columbia. His conditions were that the questions had to be asked by a single moderator and that those who asked the questions could not respond.

Hey, not to hijack this thread to get some actual admissions information or anything, but...

I applied super late and when I called (about two weeks ago), they said the committee was still reviewing my application as well, and that they were now interviewing into March...(there you go, a glimmer of hope)

That said, I'm now bracing myself for bad news. I figure if they wanted to interview me in March, I would've heard by this week at the latest. Although my MCAT and GPA are above and at their medians respectively, I'm worried...seriously worried....

Ugh.

I applied super late and when I called (about two weeks ago), they said the committee was still reviewing my application as well, and that they were now interviewing into March...(there you go, a glimmer of hope)

That said, I'm now bracing myself for bad news. I figure if they wanted to interview me in March, I would've heard by this week at the latest. Although my MCAT and GPA are above and at their medians respectively, I'm worried...seriously worried....

Ugh.

Thanks for the input!

it's true i just called and was told the same thing. hooray for being complete in december and still feeling like there's some small glimmer of hope, even though for me there really isn't.

it's true i just called and was told the same thing. hooray for being complete in december and still feeling like there's some small glimmer of hope, even though for me there really isn't.

Well put! I hate this "hope" thing. All it does is lead to further disappointment.

Hey,

To those of you who got pre-interview rejections, would you mind posting your stats as well as when you completed your secondary application?

Thanks so much for the help!