Columbia: Top 10??

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by MDHopefully, Nov 18, 2005.

1. MDHopefully

MDHopefully New Member

Is COlumbia a Top 10 program in the nation?? I think it's certainly the best in NYC. thoughts??

2. Leto

Leto Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Full Disclosure- I am a graduate of Columbia P&S

I think Columbia is certainly one of the top programs in the country, but whether a program is designated "top 10" shouldn't be that crucial compared to other factors like being comfortable living in NYC or fitting in with your classmates. You will get great training from great teachers with plenty of opportunities for research along the way at Columbia. Of course, this can be said about a lot of programs across the country. In fact, when I was on the interview trail last year, many fellow applicants I met were not interviewing at Columbia primarily because of NYC.

But as far as within NYC, I would have to agree with you that Columbia is #1. I want to stress that this is my OPINION, and no amount of flaming is going to change it. It's academic reputation is the strongest if you're into that sort of thing. The new Babies Hospital offering a plethora of Peds cases is certainly a standout point. Residents from Cornell actually rotated through Columbia to get their required Peds cases (can't confirm if this is still the case). Does Washington Heights suck? Yeah, it kinda does compared with midtown, but virtually all Columbia residents live in the Upper West or Morningside anyway. Finally consider this historical testimonal- in like the last 20 years or so, not one Columbia grad has matched at any other New York program for anesthesia while every year Columbia take residents from Sinai, Cornell, NYU, etc. A PD at another NYC program first pointed this out.

3. jc237

jc237 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Can anyone refute this? I find this hard to believe. There must be at least one ******* Columbia student who matched into Cornell anesthesia in last 20 years.

4. powermd

Physician Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Our program director and department chair are very proud to point out (repeatedly... ad nauseum) that Columbia was ranked #7 in the nation this year. As to whether or not the anesthesia program is also "top 10"- who gives a sh$t? It's good enough for anyone's desired career, academic, private practice, or otherwise. More important, as was said above, is knowing whether or not you want to live in NYC. The lack of (much) subsidized housing hasn't been a problem for anyone I know. The current group of residents is smart, fun, and social. I'm happier at Columbia than I expected to be before we started.

5. bullard

bullard Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There was a thread a while ago about CA-1s waiting hours everyday for PACU beds...is that still an issue for you guys?

6. powermd

Attending Physician

No.

On Fridays this can be a small problem because the surgeons overbook a lot of same-day cases so that the patients can stay over the weekend and be back at work on Monday. This leads to backups in the 4th floor PACU (where the overnights go). I've only had to wait a substantial length of time (about an hour in the OR) once. Usually it's a 5-10 minute wait if it's a problem at all.

7. jc237

jc237 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey what's up, powermd. I wasn't aware there was a ranking of anesthesiology programs out there.

8. sobo5

sobo5 Junior Member

While interviewing at Cornell last year, I met a CA-3 who graduated from Columbia P&S. He felt that both Columbia and Cornell were excellent programs.

9. Ahh...The Life

Ahh...The Life Membership Revoked
    Removed

The notion that US News and World Report's "Honor Roll" of Hospitals is an accurate measure of the Anesthesia Programs' rankings is a questionable idea.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/health/best-hospitals/honorroll.htm

As for Columbia being #7 and the Best in NYC... tell your PD that it was New York-Presbyterian Univ. Hosp. of Columbia and Cornell, so don't forget to mention his friends at Cornell.

Nobody likes a Glory Hound.

10. powermd

Attending Physician
  11. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I have a friend that visited NYC once. He bought some condoms from a street vendor. That guy said Columbia was #1 in the city and in the top 10 in the nation.

12. Ahh...The Life

Removed

How much were condoms in NYC, I'm interviewing at a few programs there in December. Do they have Lamb's skin? You know those aren't as safe as Latex, but if you're allergic...

13. jc237

jc237 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Man, those damn NYC street vendors... Just because they sell hot dogs, they think they know everything...

On an aside, I know the guy who sells hot dogs outside NYU. He said he could beat up the one that sells outside Columbia.

14. mikeshana

mikeshana Member
    7+ Year Member

Used condoms are cheaper than new ones

15. Ahh...The Life

Removed

Used Condoms are Crazy Talk. But, how much cheaper are they? I love a bargain.

16. powermd

Attending Physician
    Free if you can find them. I usually get lucky in the Columbia call rooms- in more ways than one. Just another reason Columbia rocks!

17. jc237

jc237 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Holy cow! You guys get it on in the call room? Yo, I'm there!

Anyway, I'm gonna be interviewing there soon. Any tips for us in regards to Columbia, powermd?